iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tooth picks !! With a pic!

Started by isawlogs, January 11, 2014, 04:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isawlogs

I cant find them when I need them, seams that they go the same way as my tapes and my pencils. I do have a swiss army knife with a tooth pick on it, but that also gets lost after a while.
  I did come up with a solution after poundering this for a while.... its cold wet and have lots of time on my hands....

So what do you all do with the tooth pick issue.. or is it only me that looks for them all the time.  :-\
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

julio

I keep a container of the Cracker Barrel ones in all my trucks and in the office and at the house.
If you put your finger in your ear and scratch, it sounds like PacMan.

Magicman

I carry a couple of those plastic flossers in my billfold.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have 1 tooth...so I use a rope.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

pigman

Since I only have a few teeth and they are not next to each other, I don't need tooth picks. :(
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

julio

I always heard that the tooth brush was invented in sc 8) ;D

thecfarm

pigman,we have alot in common.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

isawlogs

My solution was this ....

Made this little tooth pick holder so that he could be at my side on the table when I need one.  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WmFritz

That little critter is pretty handy.
Better hope he don't jump up on yer chair.  ;) ;)
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

pigman

Quote from: julio on January 11, 2014, 06:49:02 PM
Juilo, you are mistaken. ;D The tooth brush was invented in Kentucky and only copied by SC. Other states keep stealing our best inventions. :'(
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Magicman

Finally a useful porky.  Very Nice.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Nice idea Marcel. That's awesome. I am always reaching for a toothpick. One of dad's uncles had a solution. I remember that old timer sitting by his wood stove in the kitchen and had a block of dry butternut there to split off a tooth pick when needed. Me, I buy mine for a buck at dollar store. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

julio

SawyerBrown

Quote from: pigman on January 11, 2014, 09:58:12 PM
Quote from: julio on January 11, 2014, 06:49:02 PM
Juilo, you are mistaken. ;D The tooth brush was invented in Kentucky and only copied by SC. Other states keep stealing our best inventions. :'(

Is that why they call it a toothbrush rather than a teethbrush?   :D :D
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Philbert

Very nice.

I had a problem finding tooth picks in my shop and garage: I use them all the time for cleaning small parts, applying a small dab of something, etc.

Took some empty, plastic prescription containers from the drugstore and drilled a small hole in the cap, near the side. Now I can grab the container, even with dirty or greasy hands, and shake it so that one or two clean toothpicks stick out.

Cheap. Simple. Easy to find.  I don't spill the box or get all of the other ones dirty.

Philbert

firecord

Too'th funny!   my friend used to carry a s carolina tooth pick. ( or kentucky I aint figured out who decided it made a good pick).  You know the kind made from a coons sticker????

sandhills

Marcel, that's really neat, I think you should sell'em  :).

clww

Up in the mountains where I'm from, all the restaurants use empty Texas Pete bottles. Wash out the used bottle, holds a bunch of toothpicks, and dispenses these one at a time when inverted.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

coxy

Quote from: firecord on January 12, 2014, 10:06:25 AM
Too'th funny!   my friend used to carry a s carolina tooth pick. ( or kentucky I aint figured out who decided it made a good pick).  You know the kind made from a coons sticker????
your bad :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D 8) 8) 8) 8)

coxy

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 11, 2014, 06:44:52 PM
so you must look like Patrick star on sponge bob :D :D :D    is this true seeing I have never seen you smile in your pics ;D ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) sorry just poking a little fun :) :) :)

blackfoot griz

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 11, 2014, 06:44:52 PM

Bet eating corn on the cob gets a bit frustrating!  Can your setworks be dialed in to shave/cant the corn off the cob for ya?

thecfarm

What kind of wood did you use? Did you carve it?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

isawlogs

Its a peice of maple I had in the wood pile, and yes I did carve it. (Tooth pics where bought  ;D ;) )
I used the band saw to shape it some, the bench mount belt sander to ruff in and then some chippin'away with a knife. Sanding by hand to finish. Walnut stain and sharpy to mark some dark lines, drilled the holes for the picks and gave it a few coats of bees wax.

Marcel

thecfarm

That is some mighty fine work. Very sale able too.

isawlogs

That little guy would be so expensive Ray, you just can't imagine.   :D :D  I know now why there are so many one of a kind things out there.  ;D :P

I guess if one was to make it out of basswood, it would be a whack easier and alot faster.  :P  I did not have basswood....  :-\

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Yeah, basswood this far north is pretty sparse. Find it here on the farm, but very challenging to find and only within the St John Valley. You could walk a 1000 woodlots around the farm here and never find a stick of it. I suspect there was a lot more around before all the best soil ground was cleared to potato farms.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

We have nice basswood around here, I just did do not have any in my stash.

I plan on sawing some come spring.   :snowball:

Marcel

chain

Quote from: isawlogs on January 11, 2014, 04:36:53 PM
I cant find them when I need them, seams that they go the same way as my tapes and my pencils. I do have a swiss army knife with a tooth pick on it, but that also gets lost after a while.
  I did come up with a solution after poundering this for a while.... its cold wet and have lots of time on my hands....

So what do you all do with the tooth pick issue.. or is it only me that looks for them all the time.  :-\

I thought you would never asked that question. But I use natural dogwood toothpicks, toothbrush when I'm in the woods or needing a good pickin'.

Just cut a stem, girdle around the bark about 1/3", chew on the end until flared and brush and scrub teeth and gums. For a toothpick just split the 'brush' into 'pick sized and pick away. Dogwood has anti-bacterial properties, they say. :P

SwampDonkey

Quote from: isawlogs on January 13, 2014, 08:40:12 AM
We have nice basswood around here, I just did do not have any in my stash.

I plan on sawing some come spring.   :snowball:

Ah, well that makes a difference. ;D

SwampDonkey

Quote from: chain on January 13, 2014, 09:12:22 AM

But I use natural dogwood toothpicks, toothbrush when I'm in the woods or needing a good pickin'.

Just cut a stem, girdle around the bark about 1/3", chew on the end until flared and brush and scrub teeth and gums.

Leads to excessive gum wear they say. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!