iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Scaffolding Rigging and Raising Methods.

Started by Jay C. White Cloud, January 24, 2013, 07:11:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay C. White Cloud

Hello All,

Several on and offline have requested that I describe this method of rigging timber frames.  I will try and post photos when I can get better ones and/or find the one I have.

First the pros and cons of the system:

Pros:

• Very mobile and utilitarian.
  • Scaffolding is versatile and can be used for other applications.
  • Less expensive than owning/renting/transporting Lulls or Cranes.

Cons:

• You must buy scaffolding, as renting is usually not as cost effective. (scaffolding can often be sold for what you paid for it.)
  • Yon must know how to rig safety lines, escape rappels, and the related ties and equipment that go with them.
  • You must be knowledgeable about load dynamics, vectoring, complex/compound pulley systems and other advance rigging criteria.

If you have done any kind of traditional raising you have probably built and used some form of "Gin Pole," "Shear Leg," or "Derick," assembly.  These time tested, and proven assemblies, often surpass what can be achieved with more modern heavy equipment.  In this instance, the "scaffold tower," replaces them and/or augments them, as the lifting architecture.

We have built towers as high as ten sections, (with out rigger guide lines,), from here you may climb and lift components of a frame or entire bent assemblies.  We have lifted items as heavy as 250 mm by 350 mm x 8 m (10"x14"x ~26') black oak beams.  Once proficient, set up and break down is simple and rapid.  With this system and proper rigging, you can raise and lower with limited staffing.  You also have a system that can be made easily redundant, and adjustable, even during mid lift.  24 bunks is an optimum amount but 10 will service most jobs.

That is about it for basic descriptions.  For those reading this with interest, help me, help you, ask any question you need, and/or if I need to define something.  Google searches for key terms may well give you more than I could write on here, and remember image searches

Regards,  jay

"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

bigshow

Well, I guess I'd throw this out for instance:

I want to lift a small bent: lets say 12' wide, 12' tall.  how can I / what do I need / what would the setup look like to do it with my scaffolding to accomplish it?  Just a basic drawing would be fine for me.
I never try anything, I just do it.

jander3

Jay,

Rigging...one of my favorite topics.  And, in general, the more we know, the less likely we will manage to drop really heavy stuff on body parts.

Scaffold rigging works well.  And, I have  a few scaffold sections I use for many jobs at my cabin.  Quick and safe.  But I never use if for rigging.  Most of my lifting is from 500-2000 lbs,  so old school  general rigging suits  my needs.   And, when you price out the scaffolding for a tower, well, things can get spendy.

In my opinion, for rigging, especially in an area where you can not get a crane to the site, I think a lift shear, derrick crane, or gin pole is the ticket.  Materials are available in the woods and all you need is a power source (men, tractor, atv, or battery powered winch).    You need to understand loads and knots, but it is not rocket science.

What I've found is that  most folks don't understand the basics of rigging (i.e. how do you tie an eye splice and why would you?).  Once a builder understands the basics, they can safely do many tasks.  Knowledge is the key....classes, books, practical experience, and there is no limit.
Now, about 7 years ago, I was in the same boat in that I didn't know squat about rigging. I took a class at North House Folk School taught by Grigg Mullen.  Now,  I spend a great deal of time trying to understand rigging concepts that I can apply at the Stump Ranch (no vehicles, no power, just the basics).  And, believe me I have gotten my money's worth out of the few days I spent in class learning how to rig safely.

I guess what I am saying is for a guy that wants to build a structure, I think more traditional lifting methods might serve him better. However, you gotta qualify that statement.  Once you start pricing ropes, blocks, rope pullers, etc.  it becomes quite obvious that if this is a one time raising and you can get a vehicle to the site...rent a crane.   Cheaper and easier.  If you are off the beaten path and you will be rigging many things, invest the dollars in good equipment.  It pays off in the end.

Jay C. White Cloud

Hey Jander, et al,

I started to make a few hand sketches then a few in CAD.  None would convey what I really need folks to see, so this is going to be a long running post, if the interest stays with it.  When we do a raising with some or someone else tackles it first, photos will come. In the mean time we will just have to plod along.

QuoteRigging...one of my favorite topics.  And, in general, the more we know, the less likely we will manage to drop really heavy stuff on body parts.
Great Point.  Safety is a big part of this topic.  Rigging is very fun to do, but potentially lethal. Do not try anything discussed on this post without complete confidence in you skill and I would recommend strongly certification and/or training.

O.K. this gets us going for feed back.  Jander, take nothing I say as a judgment on your skills, (I liked reading your blog  :P) or as a personal criticism.  What I state is just information in general and some things to think about.  If something you share seems unsafe, I will identify it as such, as I will the things I suggest that are unsafe, but I know people do it. As part of being a High Angle Technician/Rigger, you get involved a lot with "risk management."  Within RM there is a thing called "perceived risk," and "actual risk." Just watch for those words.  Much of this post thread will fall under the category of perceived risk, not actual.

Now I agree that scaffolding is expensive, about $150 to $180 per bunk of 5.5'x6.5.'x8' assemblies.  Now lets consider some of what Jander said.
QuoteIn my opinion, for rigging, especially in an area where you can not get a crane to the site, I think a lift shear, derrick crane, or gin pole is the ticket.  Materials are available in the woods and all you need is a power source (men, tractor, atv, or battery powered winch).    You need to understand loads and knots, but it is not rocket science.
Compare the price of Men, tractors, atv, and a battery winch, to purchasing 12 bunks of scaffold at $165=$1980.  I believe that is much less expensive.  Now the ropes, rigging gear, and skill to use it you have to have either way, so no difference there.  Building a safe set of any of the lifting assemblies and you are talking about a whole other level of training and skill, (which you should get.)  Scaffold rigs can go just about anywhere, be assembled by two people, (one if you do stupid things like I do so often.) and lift an entire frame bent by yourself.

QuoteWhat I've found is that  most folks don't understand the basics of rigging (i.e. how do you tie an eye splice and why would you?).  Once a builder understands the basics, they can safely do many tasks.  Knowledge is the key....classes, books, practical experience, and there is no limit.
Couldn't have said it better myself!
QuoteNow, about 7 years ago, I was in the same boat in that I didn't know squat about rigging. I took a class at North House Folk School taught by Grigg Mullen.  Now,  I spend a great deal of time trying to understand rigging concepts that I can apply at the Stump Ranch (no vehicles, no power, just the basics).  And, believe me I have gotten my money's worth out of the few days I spent in class learning how to rig safely.
Grigg senior is a wonderful instructor and I couldn't recommend anyone higher.  He teaches full time at VMI in the Civil and Environmental Education department.  One of my first apprentices, Ira and Grigg's son, are best friends.  Ira came to me ready to go, with basic rigging skills that most seasoned riggers would give anything to have.  He is now a master rigger, timber framer and full time arborist in Asheville, NC.  If someone whats to take a class from some one, you couldn't do better than Grigg.

QuoteI guess what I am saying is for a guy that wants to build a structure, I think more traditional lifting methods might serve him better. However, you gotta qualify that statement.  Once you start pricing ropes, blocks, rope pullers, etc.  it becomes quite obvious that if this is a one time raising and you can get a vehicle to the site...rent a crane.   Cheaper and easier.
Many of the crews I work on use cranes, lulls and the list goes on.  I will re-certify this year again as a OSHA "qualified rigger," as they like to call them, so I know my way around most heavy equipment and can operate 80% of it.  It is expensive, and more dangerous (actual, not perceived,) than most rigging jobs.  Again, if you do some basic math, and can find a crane as cheep as $800.00 for a day, you are still going to pay as much or more than you would if you bought scaffolding.  The Crane money is gone, the scaffold can be sold when you are done with it, (though most folks hang onto it because it is so useful for so much.)  So the idea that a Crane or Lull is cheaper and easier...well in most cases maybe the same at best, but more likely more expensive if you consider everything.  The only thing I would say, if it is a one time job, you probably aren't reading this, and would be hiring someone like the folks reading this post. 

keep the questions/comments coming.  ;D

Regards,  jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Jay C. White Cloud

Hello All,

For those of you that asked for graphics, it's done.  You have to help me figure out the best way for you to see and use it.  It is a Sketchup of a 3 bunk scaffold tower and 1 free bunk to copy and move.  Next to it is a small frame bent per Big Show's request.  Now if I post pictures of it here they won't mean or do much, because you won't see all the details as we discuss different aspects.  You will need the model to play with, so if you don't have Sketch up, you will need to down load it to your computer.  I think there is a place here some where to send files, if not I will send it to whom ever asks for it.  It is a basic graphic of a standard tall bunk, nothing fancy, but it will help you see things if you want to follow along as folks ask questions.  Then as I, or someone else, does it in the really world, we can post pictures.

Regards,  jay

tyb525

Jay, I think you can add them to your post via the "attatchments and other options" link when you post, so anyone with a sketchup can download and view it. I have sketchup and it would be neat to see I think.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Jay C. White Cloud

Hello Ty, et al,

Thanks for the feedback, lets see if this works?

Regards,  Jay

danreed76

If you can find one, the old Army and Navy rigging manuals are an excellent place to start to understand the dynamics of rigging as well as various field methods such as y'all have described.  They break down the calculations into simply illustrated, practical, and understandable examples to help teach the concepts that Jay and others have touched on.

Some of the older manuals go into lifting arrangements very similar to what Jay has described, using lightweight gear such as antenna masts, ladders or other objects that might be found and using them to lift a great deal more weight than they are rated for using proper anchoring and guying techniques, locations, etc.  They really are packed with all kinds of useful information that was written not only to arm a beginner with enough practical knowledge, but also to be used as a field guide for the "great, now what are we gonna do" situations (it's amazing what you can do with an old ratchet jack!).

a lot of these books used to be free downloads; if i can find the link, I'll post it.

Jay:
Great discussion on risk analysis.  Know ahead of time what can go wrong, and take steps to make it right before you begin.  If you have other people working with you, make sure they understand what you're doing and what they're (supposed to be) doing (nothing like looking up when you're in a bind and seeing your help digging through his lunch bucket).
As with anything, safety begins with understanding.  Having a good start to finish plan for all stages of the job, and knowing enough to stop, re-evaluate, and re-arrange if necessary when something doesn't look right or the result isn't what you expect is key to successful rigging/lifting operations.

Dan

Woodmizer LT40 Hydraulic with resaw attachment |  Kubota MX5200  | (late)1947 8N that I can't seem to let go.

Jay C. White Cloud

Thank's Dan,

I think this is going to be a great post thread, and it has already begun to take on a life of it's own.  Over the course of the next few weeks, and/or months, we should be able to vet a number of basic lifting sequences for small scale, site built "Scaffold Cranes," the pros and cons of each lift method, their different subtleties, and their possible alternatives.

I must, again, take an this opportunity to thank everyone for their participation and for Jeff in facilitating the culture of this wonderful forum of exchange and support.   I also want to thank all of you for the bountiful guidance, feedback, and support I have received on and off line in my pursuit to refine my writing and vetting my own concepts for publishable manuscript. This section alone will be a big help in my writing.

Please note, for those have down loaded their copies of the scaffold crane, that this is just a basic layout that we can have discussion around.  Please feel free to alter, modify and change the model as you see fit.  This is how we can examine and look at alternative modalities. I apologize for the crude model, as I have only been using Sketchup for less than a year, (got more talented younger folk better than me doing it most of the time,) but I will do my best to improve so our discourse is more lucid.

Regards,  jay

canopy

The old Army rigging manual can be yours if you do a search for the following:

Rigging Techniques, Procedures, and Applications

bigshow

so, do you attach a boom in some way to the scaffolding then?
I never try anything, I just do it.

jander3

Here is a web based link to the Army Rigging Manual FM-125 referenced above.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0sxskmlCA22d3VyekVjRzBYNEk/edit

Just about everything I've done for rigging is based in one way or the other on this manual...construct a lifting rig, tie a knot, size a wire rope, it is all covered.  Broken down by sections and easy to understand.

jander3

Thanks for the sketchup drawing.   From the drawing it looks to me like you would need to run a couple guy wires to stabilize the tower (if you were planning on lifting something substantial).   For standing up the bent you could probably drop a chain fall or rope puller right off the scaffold frame.  However, before I put any real load on the frame, I sure would like to understand what the load rating was on the scaffold bar.   

I would think you need a portable gin or lifting shear on the top of the scaffold to give yourself the ability to boom the bent once you got it upright.

I am interested in the final setup and how it compares to a couple of long spruce poles in effectiveness, safety, and cost.

I too have some thoughts on approach, liability, and safety, they are posted at this blog link:

http://peelinglogs.blogspot.com/2011/02/liability-release.html

routestep

Risk Management

I had risk defined to me as having two parts:

The probability of an event (generally something bad) happening

The consequences (severity)

Me trying to determine probability was going to be real hard so I didn't
Consequences generally came down to death, life long injury or broken bent.

So for this barn build and raising we decided to use multiple raising towers with chain falls (two ton) and chains.

No gin poles and blocks for the actual bents. We used them for smaller pieces - floor joists and small rafters.

With some help, I got some pictures into my gallery. I don't know how to post them here.

The two towers were 16 ft tall, 5 by 7 at the base and 4 by 5 at the top. We mainly used bolts to put them together. The bents were raised going right up the inside of the towers, so the towers side bracing had to be removed and the cross tie came up and bracing reapplied as the cross tie went higher. The towers were taken apart and lowered piece by piece. A real slow pain in the rear.

The towers were raised using a gin pole to get them started and then a tractor to pull them up to vertical.

All in all a laborious method, but noone was hurt, reasonably cheap and we had to do some fitting with braces which took time. And of course daytime jobs got in the way and so did the weather at times. So we thought this way was cheaper than renting a crane.

Jay C. White Cloud

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for all the great info.  If I miss anything, let me know. 

The Army Manual is a must have. Everyone should download a copy.  If you can get a copy of "On Rope," by Bruce Smith, please do!  He is a friend and teacher, and one of the best riggers in the country, right up there with Grigg Mullen.  I would hope someday all of you could meet them.

Hello Routestep,

You put a lot of thought, effort and labor into those towers!! :o  You are one of the folks I hope can see value in this post thread, and I know will ask great questions.  With a scaffold tower system, I have raised bents as large as the one in Routstep's photo.  This can usually be accomplished by myself in less than 4 hours, including putting the scaffold up and taking it back down to move it in preparation for another lift.

Please note here I do work by myself often, I know it is dangerous.  It is one of the elements of actual risk.  If you choose to work solo, be prepared for it, and any outcomes of it's folly.  Too many years of solo rock climbing/mountaineering and wilderness bush travel has gotten under my skin and It was born in my blood.  The Great Creator has be merciful but harsh at times.

Routstep has brought up good points about Risk Management.  REMEMBER: Perceived Risk (probability) is what you think will take place.   Actual Risk is often what does happen but you did not perceive it (greatest degree of severity.)

Routstep's plan worked, it was well thought through and it certainly was cheaper than a crane in most likely hood, even if you included the construction and rigging of the towers.  The only thing logistically to surpass it would be the topic of this thread, if done correctly.

Hello Jander3,

QuoteFrom the drawing it looks to me like you would need to run a couple guy wires to stabilize the tower (if you were planning on lifting something substantial).
Yes you would, and thank you for noting that.  This is a perfect segway to discuss tip ups and lift ups.   

If you lift with a scaffold tower, (there are several pick point configurations,) you will typically fall into one of this two lift scenarios.

With the tip up method, which is what you think of in most gin pole/shear leg lifts, you must use guy ropes because of the vector of load is at an oblique angle to the scaffold tower's pick points.  We very seldom use tip ups with the rigging systems I use.

Now what is often not taught or considered is lift up configurations.  With proper planing, and the flexibility of implementation with scaffold towers, you can create a direct up and down vector load to your pick points, there by often alleviating the need for guy lines, or at least not as many or complexity.   

QuoteFor standing up the bent you could probably drop a chain fall or rope puller right off the scaffold frame.
That is correct.  This becomes a pick point, and it can be off the scaffold itself or off a beam attached to the scaffold, depending on the configuration.

QuoteHowever, before I put any real load on the frame, I sure would like to understand what the load rating was on the scaffold bar.
I am trying to get a friend to join the forum and/or provide just that.  He works with a great company that manufactures scaffolding and knows it's wonderful applications.

QuoteI would think you need a portable gin or lifting shear on the top of the scaffold to give yourself the ability to boom the bent once you got it upright.
In 90% of the lifting scenarios this is not true.  However, there are cases where you may be lifting a massive weight and additional strengthening will be required. In those cases you will use the scaffold tower as your climbing a rigging armature, there by expediting all logistical processes.

QuoteI am interested in the final setup and how it compares to a couple of long spruce poles in effectiveness, safety, and cost.
The simplest elements of this answer would be logistical speed, system flexibility, ease of rigging and safety.  Cost could be considered an under laying factor, but in the big picture with all other consideration, it is probably more cost effective to use scaffold in many cases.  Through the scaffold system, should the need arise to use traditional gin poles or shear legs, you will understand the application of the traditional system more intimately.

QuoteI too have some thoughts on approach, liability, and safety, they are posted at this blog link:
It would be great if you could restate a synopsis of those points here on the this thread.

Regards,  jay

jander3

Liability Release
Written for Log Cabin Building - Just as Applicable to Rigging

For those looking for information and advice in regards to log cabin building, my suggestion is to think for yourself, decide as you see fit, and accept the consequences. To build a log cabin you will need to use sharp and pointy things, like ax and chainsaw, in the vicinity of really big and heavy things such as logs (hence the term log cabin builder). Often, the really big and heavy things need to be balanced, cut, moved, molded, rolled or modified with the sharp and pointy things at elevations where it could end poorly if appropriate care is not exercised.

Building a log cabin is inherently dangerous; there is risk. And, the risk applies to both novices and experts. What you don't know can hurt you; what you don't fear can hurt you. To make this work and keep all one's body parts intact, the builder requires a high level of knowledge coupled with a low percentage of really poor decisions (in my experience the worst decisions are often preceded by the words, "Don't worry, she'll be alright" or "Don't worry, it will be fine").

Life is unpredictable. Sometimes, we make decisions that make our life softer and easier. At other times – based on our current view of something shattered, stuck, bent, wedged, broken, or bleeding – it becomes crystal clear that the decision we made just a few seconds back was a little substandard.

Generally, an individual that chooses to build his or her cabin is getting a little older. With a few years on us, our ability to bounce (after sudden contact with the planet which is an inevitable result of a fall from heights) is somewhat compromised. When you are ten years old, you can fall 35 feet out of the pine tree you shouldn't have been climbing; hit the ground, bounce three times, stand up, dust yourself off, and you are ready to roll. I am 50, and, when it comes to bounce-ability, I'm thinking, well, maybe, not so much.

So, for your safety when cabin building, it is critical to understand why log cabin builders do what they do. We can learn from those that were successful and we can gain a great deal of knowledge from those that experienced various levels of adversity.

We must understand that there are many approaches to log cabin building. Opinions are readily available from from both experts and quacks. And, at times, quacks will be dressed in expert clothing. To further complicate the situation, advice from a recognized, self-proclaimed quack could be the missing link and exactly the bit of information you need to proceed. Evaluating advice and acting on a recommendation from a known whack-job in lieu of alternative expert advice seems like crazy business. Yet, you will find that occasionally this is the path we need to take.

To be clear, to build a log cabin, you need to be willing to gain an understanding of why another chooses to do what he does and then make your own decisions and apply what you believe will work best to your project. And, if it doesn't work, it was your call, so move on.

I do need to mention that if you can see yourself suing a fast food organization because your coffee was too hot or jamming up your neighbor because you slipped on his driveway – you have no business building a log cabin. Because, things won't go as planned and you have to shoulder the responsibility and keep plugging along....cold, wet, broken doesn't matter much, you will experience it. We must figure it out and plod on. The only one responsible for the success or failure of the project is the builder.

Lifting Shear - A couple of Spruce Poles

Battery Powered Winch - Used with the Shear above.

Portable Gin Pole with Chain Fall - Designed to be Moved by One Man 

4 x 4s From Mendards to Raise the Shed

Installed the Plate

Rigging in the Center (Just after installing the ridge).

S.Hyland

I'm looking forward to seeing more on this topic. I've just been getting into gin poles. I did a raising this summer with one and loved it. One thing that is so nice is not having the pressure. When the crane is running at $100+ an hour it's hard to not feel under the gun. The army field manual was really invaluable, but otherwise it's pretty hard to find good info on this.                                                                                                 

I've only used scaffolding for lifting once. I had a central drop pendant with 4 hip rafters seating into it. I set the scaffolding higher than the pendant needed to go and hoisted it up through the center, suspending it while the rafters were set. I wouldn't have thought of using it to raise a bent though. 
It seems like the main limiting factor on the scaffolding is weight limits? I can certainly see using this in the future...
"It may be that when we no longer know which way to go that we have come to our real journey. The mind that is not baffled is not employed. The impeded stream is the one that sings."
― Wendell Berry

Jay C. White Cloud

Hey Sean,

Welcome to the FF, and for joining in this topic, I'm sure we will all learn something from this exchange.  We will talk soon.

Hey Everyone,

Make note of Sean's photo, it is a perfect elevation profile shot of a "tip up," lift.

Regards,  jay

Rooster

I need to find some more pictures of my gin pole set up...but instead, here's a video.

http://youtu.be/WG0MYCKcN-g
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

Jay C. White Cloud

Hey Rooster,

Thank's for posting this.

Hey Folks,

With Rooster's video, I may be able to make some additional points.  Again, we are observing a Tip Up raising with a Gin Pole.  Now I will take you to one of my job sites, (metaphorically speaking.)

Replace the Gin Pole with a scaffold tower.  The other two bents are already in the positions as you see them, the only difference is I do not have wood "strong backs,"(those are the temporary oblique buttress braces you see at the base of the raised bents,) nailed to them as you see in the picture.  I have heavy steel adjustable strong backs that will allow me to move them a considerable distance out of plumb in either direction.

It is early in the morning and the crew is not do for a few hours.  They had assembled the bent the night before so the tie beam is directly under the pick point of the scaffold tower, and the legs of the bent are surrounding the tower.  If you look at the video, just imagine that you have slid the bent toward the gin pole, and the top of the bent is resting close to where the feet will be.

Because the bent is large, I have reinforced the scaffold tower for the extra weight. (there are many different configurations, they all involve rigging and braces, but are easy and quick to do.)  This is going to be a lift up configuration so all I have is the tower, and no or limited guy lines, because the load is not vectored at an oblique angle.  The bent is slung at a single balance point, with a back up sling as well in the same location.  A six ton chain fall is rigged to the pick point. A second rope is rigged as a backup and attached to the back up sling, and as raising takes place this rope is giving a tight belaying to the bent so if there is a system failure, it will take the load without a shock to the system.

The raising begins, and in about twenty minutes, the bent will be in the air and suspended above it's plinth points, ready to be lowered.  I will take a coffee break and weight for the crew so we can start installing wall purlins and braces, (unless they are late, then I will start by myself.)

I hope over the course of the next few months I can give you more than words.  If you want to play with your Sketchup model, maybe you can see what I mean.

Regards,  jay

routestep

Rooster, that is a neat video. What was the diameter of the gin pole, cus that bent looks huge. Just one rope also, what type do you recall?

I got a few extra pictures into the gallery. I had to raise the principle rafters so I made a type of shear leg, two of them. I used the two ton chain falls. The legs were 14 ft long and used 2x8 (reinforced with 5/8 plywood) and a 2x6. Two 2x8 at the top jointed the legs together and a 1x4 oak at the bottom. Bolts fasten all.

Someday maybe I'll figure how to stuff a pic here.

beenthere

QuoteSomeday maybe I'll figure how to stuff a pic here.

It is easy, once you have them in your gallery (and I see them there).

"Click here to add Photos to post"  That option is below every posting window .

Then go to your gallery, click on the pic you want to post. It will enlarge, so then you SCROLL down to find two choices to get your pic copied into your post. Easy as 1-2-3
Good luck, as they are nice pics.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Rooster

Quote from: routestep on January 30, 2013, 02:08:36 PM
Rooster, that is a neat video. What was the diameter of the gin pole, cus that bent looks huge. Just one rope also, what type do you recall?

One of the 400 or so spectators that day shot a few videos and posted them to youtube...I didn't know they did that until someone I knew told me that they were on-line...cool..eh?

The gin pole was a green cut Red pine/Norway pine.  It was 30+ ft tall with a 9" butt and an almost 5" top. I had a large custom made pulley at the top, and a 3-1 block and tackle connected to the pull end, with the tail end passing through a snatch block which re-routed it so that it could be hooked to the horses.

The rope (through the top pulley) was a 100' piece of 3/4" braided nylon "cable pulling" rope...which is rated for 20,000 lbs.  The same type of rope was strung through the block and tackle.

The line of draft from bent to horse includes:

~Two 3" nylon recovery/ load straps choked to the tie-beam of the bent.
~One 3/4" clevis/shackle connection the straps to the pulley rope.
~3/4" nylon rope passing up and through the large pulley at the top of the gin pole.
~The bottom block of the block and tackle connected to the pulley rope.
~The top block connected to a fixed anchor point near the ground the same distance or larger from the gin pole as the pick point of the bent to the gin pole. (think of the block and tackle sort of in an inverted position)
~The "tail" rope coming out of the anchored block then passes through a snatch block to allow the "pull rope" to wrap around the outside of the foundation and secured to the evener, using a "bull hook" behind the team of draft horses. The closer to the ground the load is, the easier pull and it's more comfortable for the horses.  Low and short line of draft is best but not always possible with this system.  The horses worked a total of 20 minutes that day (6 picks less that 4 min. each), but they were ready and waiting when I needed them.

Rooster
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

Offthebeatenpath

Jay, Rooster, Jon, et. all,

I've certainly enjoyed this thread and love seeing the timber frame specific rigging sets.  I own a trail contracting and training business that focusses largely on backcountry rigging systems.  I'd love to have a few of your guys out on one of my projects sometime or volunteer myself on one of yours...

I just finished a small timber frame relocation- took it down in NY and re-erected it on the coast of Maine in a spot inaccessible by vehicles.  It was small enough so that it was not rigging intensive, but large enough to make me want to practice your techniques for the next one.

Thanks for your work and contributions.

Jed
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

Satamax

I'm just a cheat :D

And even more since lenghtened :D

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Thank You Sponsors!