iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Home schooling

Started by kiko, November 28, 2015, 12:42:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiko

He thinks it's fun.   

Spartan

Of course!  Many a boy dreams of big equipment.  Many a man still dreams of big equipment

thecfarm

Need anymore students?   ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

teakwood

When i was that age i went crazy seeing big machines! I still do
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

David-L

I am 54 and cant' get that old pig iron out of my head. love the equipment. the girls hate traveling with me as many stops for equipment is the norm.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

BargeMonkey

The world needs more parents who are educators like you.  ;)  start them off right, videos games don't help them prepare for a career.

Lumberjohn

He also needs to weld on a bump plate LOL.

coxy

price less :) keep up the good school work  8) 8)

kiko

The school curriculum does not cover welding until fourth grade.  Safety courses are required at each level.  And Barge Monkey video games are frowned upon at my household.  Music however is always welcome. 

Maine372

my wife and I were both homeschooled.

at my house gym class was hauling firewood. math was adding up scale slips. lots of applied learning.

good to let them learn by doing.

Knocker of rocks

Quote from: Maine372 on November 28, 2015, 09:34:40 PM
my wife and I were both homeschooled.
............ math was adding up scale slips

That's not math, that's arithmetic.

I bet you're real good at trig

Maine372

geometry was building sheds and such. always struggled with algebra and calculus.

kiko

We are not fortunate enough to be able to actually home school.  Public school teaches the the skills to do absolutely nothing but more school.  Reading and math are important but a good level could be achieved in much less than twelve years.  It is almost impossible to find young employees that even have the slightest mechanical concepts.  I will not force my son to peruse any particular line of work when he is of age, but I plan on passing on as much as I practical knowledge to him as I can.  We need some sort of apprentice program in this country that is not frowned upon by the self important education system.  I am able to bill almost as much as my attorney does per hour.  With fewer and fewer young people even considering a trade as a way of life,  the relative demand is sure to continue to increase.

ForestGump

We homeschool our team also and i love teaching them real world problem solving stuff rather than have them taught who knows what by some stranger...Your picture reminds me of my oldest son loves to work with the air tools any chance he can get. A couple years ago we got him a pneumatic mini palm nailer for his 6th birthday present and he took it straight to the pole barn and started making shelves for people with my scraps. (they were a little jankity but hell get better!)
Let the wood times roll!

Stuart Caruk

Kids are a hoot. We started off homeschooling our daughter on the K12 online program when it was time for her to go to kindergarten. By then she could already read and was pretty good at math, had rudimentary programming skills down pat, and could help run a CNC machine. She's been running her CNC lathe since she was 6 and negotiates a piecework price for the jobs we allow her to run on it. (it pretty much has to be able to fit in a collet chuck so she can't pinch her fingers.

We started her off in the shop at a young age. I figures she either had to stay out, sicne it's impossible to kidproff, or we teach her how everything works. Here's the first of many parts she helped make.

And now she can run the Haas by herself...

She learned early on how to use a caliper and she could tell you the major and minor diameters on a part, and if it was made to spec.

The little fart surprised me when I let her poke around to try programming our Integrex. She found a graphical interface in the help screen that I never even knew existed and programmed up a part, only needing help on the more complex geometry (and someone to spin the robot around so she could program comfortably hanging in her paragliding harness.

I taught her how to tig weld from an early age, since her mom is paranoid of the arc flash. Vici has all the appropriate safety gear, and my customers love her so I took her with me to help out on a fab job with several thousand feet of weld. Here's a close up of her first weld bead...

O/K, so she cheated and got to use one of my seam tracking robots, but still, she kept the cables clear and ran a perfect 76' long bead.

Best advice I ever received was to treat her like a small adult, but control her environment. Kids will surprise you at what they can do if you give them a chance. She wants to try running the sawmill, but that's still just a bit to dangerous for a little kid. Besides her mom wants to play with it instead.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

ForestGump

Maybe you can adopt me and teach me how to do all that stuff!
Let the wood times roll!

kiko

The practical knowledge and common sense  that you are teaching her will give her great advantage in the future.  Great pictures by the way. And love the pink welding helmet !

barbender

I love it, Stuart! That extra time you're spending with her is priceless!
Too many irons in the fire

customsawyer

Home schooling is a great way of teaching your children but one of the best things you can teach them is to think for themselves.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

barbender

Quote from: customsawyer on December 03, 2015, 08:33:56 PM
Home schooling is a great way of teaching your children but one of the best things you can teach them is to think for themselves.

X2,  I agree completely, Jake. We (my wife, I should say ;)) homeschool our kids, but teaching them critical thinking skills is a high priority for us. We can shelter them and make them repeat everything we think like little robots, or teach them to think for themselves.  My oldest daughter (15) has had an adult who has been trying to debate her on a lot of issues at work, and it makes her uncomfortable and she is starting to hate her job because of it. I think she wanted Dad to fix the situation, and I could, but I told her that even though I don't think it is really appropriate for an adult to challenge a 15 year old about her church, or be critical of our pastor, I think it is good for her to learn to stand her ground.  If she is challenged about what she believes, and she feels threatened because she doesn't know exactly what the Bible says exactly about something, she better get reading  ;)  We have a post-secondary option in MN, where high schoolers can attend college their junior and senior years.  Public school kids benefit either little or much depending on how their school district treats post secondary- many put requirements in place that negate the benefits of the program, because if the student is at the college, the district looses money. For home schoolers, you can fully take advantage of the program, and I have several friends who's kids were able to have an AA degree in hand when they finished high school, and those two years of college are paid for. My daughter wants to enroll in the post secondary, which I think is a great idea. However, many of the professors at our local community college are very hostile to Christianity  and conservative thought, and are pretty good at dissecting the beliefs of these kids as they come in (they should be, they get to practice on a new batch every semester ::)). My point- don't say something or believe something just because dad or mom told you, you better know why you believe or think something.  I personally find it invigorating to converse with people that I don't agree with, that are open minded or at least not combative about their beliefs.

barbender

On a lighter note, I took my five year old son to the woods with me yesterday (the girls had a "Ladies Christmas Tea" at church, he got chased off like a young buck in a herd of does :)) He rode with for a couple loads, then the harvester operator let him come ride with him. I didn't get him back until the end of the day! Jake even let him push the saw button on a few trees, so I think me and my forwarder are like chopped liver now! :D Kiko, do you recognize this machine? It's hard to see my son in there, but I think he's grinning ear to ear ;)

kiko

I do. That machine must have some hours on it now.  I don't think anyone is running a CTL operation around here anymore.  I think I still have some of the books for that machine that Jeff left behind.

barbender

I think it is up around 22,000 ;)

timberlinetree

It's shure is nice to see kids out there learning. Great job and thanks for posting.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

wannaergo

My daughter learned how to steer the forwarder yesterday. Now I just have to teach her how to avoid trees.
2016 Ponsse ergo 8w
2014 Cat 564
Husky 385

beenthere

Pic makes this little cutie look like she's doing a vertical climb...  remember, iPhone pics taken with volume control at bottom.. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

North River Energy

Thanks for sharing, Wannaergo. :)

Northern Logger

I taught high school for over 20 years (and worked in the bush too) and I can tell you that those students we got who were home-schooled were very capable, respectful, unspoiled, and mature.  There are a lot of benefits and few drawbacks to home-schooling, so I would not hesitate to tell anyone to home-school their children, if they have the time, skills, and energy to do it.

Thank You Sponsors!