iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rose joints

Started by JustinW_NZ, April 20, 2013, 01:13:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustinW_NZ

Does anyone happen to know what size / thread the rose joints are on the rod between the hydraulic backstops on a WM Lt-40 ?

tried to adjust mine and now ones snapped.  :-\

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

dgdrls

Quote from: JustinW_NZ on April 20, 2013, 01:13:23 AM
Does anyone happen to know what size / thread the rose joints are on the rod between the hydraulic backstops on a WM Lt-40 ?

Cheers
Justin

" rose joints"New term to me JustinW  what does it do?

DGdrls

JustinW_NZ

Gear I run;

bandmiller2

Justin, we call them threaded ball ends.I don't think WM has gone metric.Dig out your inch rule measure the diameter and count the number of thread valleys per inch. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

dgdrls

I had a feeling it was terminology,
AKA, Heim Joint or spherical rod end

Poses an interesting question, are Euro/Asian/Aussi/NZ.. spec WM's metric built?

I don't know, but let us know how you make out

DGDrls

slider

My tap and die set has 2 thread gauge checkers on std and one metric .may you have one or can borrow one.  good luck.  al
al glenn

Chuck White

Justin; My mill is a 1995 hydraulic and in my parts book it's called an end rod, ½ inch, Wood-Mizer part number P09137.

I hope this info helps you out!

Good luck.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

JustinW_NZ

The Mills here are all USA made, so not metric (much to my pain)
I have had to butcher the threaded part to try and remove it (welded a bar to it to try and turn it out)
So its all very stuck there now and I will just TAP it out now to put something new in.

Its Sunday here now and a local store does have them I think, so I will just have to wait till tomorrow I guess and find a metric one around the same size and re-tap the rod to suit.
More and more things are becoming metric on my mizer as I pull things apart, I think its starting to have an identity crisis!  :D 

Cheers fellas
Justin
Gear I run;

bandmiller2

Justin,one system is as good as the outher just not on the same machine.When did you folks convert from English to metric.?We have no trouble going boath ways everything is available. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

JustinW_NZ

Quote from: bandmiller2 on April 20, 2013, 08:11:30 PM
Justin,one system is as good as the outher just not on the same machine.When did you folks convert from English to metric.?We have no trouble going boath ways everything is available. Frank C.

1976 is when NZ became metric.
And yes, both type of bits are around, but I've spent all my time in the workshop working on metric, so until I got the mill I didn't even have a complete imperial spanner set!

I agree having two systems on one machine is not a great idea, its easy to see where ive been as I do complete sets at a time and also put in galv or stainless bolts/fastners.

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;

dgdrls

Quote from: JustinW_NZ on April 20, 2013, 01:13:23 AM

Cheers
Justin

Did you get a line on what you need to replace that "Rose joint"?

DGDrls

JustinW_NZ

Hope to get to engineers supply store tomorrow.
My day job got in the way  >:(

We had flash flooding here last night and it went through our office which wasn't so useful?!

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;

dgdrls

Quote from: JustinW_NZ on April 22, 2013, 05:56:21 AM
Hope to get to engineers supply store tomorrow.
My day job got in the way  >:(

We had flash flooding here last night and it went through our office which wasn't so useful?!

Cheers
Justin

Ekk!!  bad damage from flooding?  sorry to hear that,

If I may,  what is your day job?

DGD

JustinW_NZ

Yeah, had to head up a big hill in the lightening storm last night to fix a site, was "exciting" 4x4 trip in the rain.
we had 104mm of rain in one hour!

Yip, my day job, i'm the manager at a local internet provider.
So roam around hill tops to comm's sites and stuff a bit as well.
The milling has come around because I work more in the office now and that's not quite my ideal...
More milling and less management I say!

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;

Thank You Sponsors!