iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thinking about downgrading my sawmill

Started by 123maxbars, November 10, 2014, 11:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

I have had my LT35 for three years now. I bought it new from Woodmizer NC. As of this date it only has 192 hours on the machine. I got the mill with the idea of doing portable sawing but however life happened and I usually just have time to saw maybe two days a month. i build furniture and mostly just saw for myself and sale a few boards every now and then.  This mill is paid for but its never going to be used to the max i dont think. Im thinking about seling the Mill and getting the LT15wide which I think will more than fit my needs and put the rest of the money toward more pressing matters. I have a tractor and skid steer for log moving etc so I never used the loader on the mill very much.. Anyone here own the LT15 Wide? Havent found many reviews on the machine yet. Im averaging around 4 to 8hours a month sawing right now and I think it will more than make me happy. Any current owners of the LT15 wide please post what you think about the machine.
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Peter Drouin

I thought about getting one. They do work well. But I think I'll save for a 70 wide head :D

Ross in Maine had this all summer showing how it works. So it is USE  :D :D I did poke him a little to get the price down, But not enough to buy it.

And you have to have a good strong tractor. :D :D ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Tom L

I was going to do the same thing over the summer, after a few yrs of portable work, and selling wood out of the house,first with a lt28 and then with a super 40, this summer I realized I had a ton of other work to catch up on, so the mill has only seen a few hrs a month cutting for myself.

I used the money I made from the milling to buy myself a firewood processor over this summer. so everything is paid for and costs me nothing sitting out back in my shed.

I decided to keep the mill and not downsize, as a just in case thing. you never know how life turns
and I have a business that I can fall back on to survive if the time arrives.

dgdrls

WM info specs max log diameter as 36"
How wide a board (max) will the unit cut? 36"??

DGDrls

just_sawing

I am in the same boat but at a different scale. I run a LT70 and got tired of firing help so I work by myself. I really have overkill with the 70 and thought of going back to a LT40 super.
Before people get all upset with my statement about firing people when a 22 year old stands and watches me the 60 year old work with his arms crossed about the third time I just don't need them. When I am out in 20 degree weather instead of by the stove when the help needs a pay check and I find him asleep I go tho the fire and when he wakes up I fire him. I have it set up that the help fets 5 cent per foot. Running ties I have run 25 in 4 hours so at 50 foot a tie that 25 dollars per hour. Hard work but good pay and I have roller racks for everything.
You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

drobertson

Quote from: just_sawing on November 11, 2014, 08:38:48 AM
I am in the same boat but at a different scale. I run a LT70 and got tired of firing help so I work by myself. I really have overkill with the 70 and thought of going back to a LT40 super.
Before people get all upset with my statement about firing people when a 22 year old stands and watches me the 60 year old work with his arms crossed about the third time I just don't need them. When I am out in 20 degree weather instead of by the stove when the help needs a pay check and I find him asleep I go tho the fire and when he wakes up I fire him. I have it set up that the help fets 5 cent per foot. Running ties I have run 25 in 4 hours so at 50 foot a tie that 25 dollars per hour. Hard work but good pay and I have roller racks for everything.
Having poor help is brutal! I have used helpers in the past, which worked, just never got big enough for a crew, I too like working alone for the most part, although an extra pair of hands, if there're working ;D is pretty handy. This said, after running a 70 a lil while back, I would move up rather then down if the mill was paid for.  The little one are pretty cool, just handling the logs and heavy slabs.  Where there's a will there is a way,  It seems like the 35 is perfect, specially if its paid for.  But times and circumstances do change the equation.   
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

RayMO

Father & Son Logging and sawing operation .

Thank You Sponsors!