iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need coil for Stihl 056AV chainsaw

Started by mikee1149, July 31, 2017, 01:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikee1149

My saw quits when it is hot and won't start. I've been told it is the coil. Need coil for Stihl 056AV. Will the coil from a 041 FarmBoss work in my saw? Thank you.

ZeroJunk

No.  There were three ignition types for that saw. Points, Bosch, and SEM. Since it is not  Magnum that pretty much rules out SEM. The Bosch is no longer available. So, if it is Bosch you would need to convert it to SEM which requires a different flywheel and will be expensive.

Pull the starter cover off and see if there are three bolts going though the flywheel. If so it is a Bosch and you can start looking for a SEM flywheel and ignition. The SEM is a single piece flywheel and the Bosch is two piece, hence the bolts to hold it together.

There is an outside chance it has points, and could be just a bad condenser.

John Mc

Have you tried forum sponsor Chainsawr for parts?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Mad Professor

There is a way to fix the common problem in Bosch coils that fail when hot.  It involves digging into the coil and replacing some cheap inside parts.

It's covered well on another forum.  Do a search on Foggysail, He's the one who came up with the fix.

Not sure if I can post a link to another forum here?.........

Al_Smith

If I'm not mistaken  one coil used by that model ,SEM type GA is also used on the Husqvarna 2100 .They are costly .

Thank You Sponsors!