iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Heading in a new direction..more like a circle.

Started by Stephen Alford, April 02, 2017, 11:40:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Resonator

When I grew my beard out I had someone ask if it was for a "comb-over".    
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Stephen Alford

Well Al with marijuana becoming legal this summer thought I should become smoke tolerant. Gonna be  lots of "Pot Luck"  :D

When the children were the size of yours  Mike my wife and I had built a log home.  Took a jackknife and put a natch in their sneakers and geared them up with safety whistle.  Made them easy to track and easy to find.  For a teenager you may need a GPS chip.  :)

Generally for the push stick one small cut at 7'  (whatever is an easy reach) works fine.

Cutting doubles are sometimes tricky and require a good look up. They tend to catch and hold debris.
The push stick can be used as a pry. They are a big help if a back spasm occurs and you have to hobble out. Sidebar... a bit of pickle juice daily seems to reduce that issue.

Sometimes with doubles and a pinch a simple twister can be used to free the saw.

If you were to make a felling lever put a hammer block on the heal.  A clip pin for the dog helps as well.

A slow back cut leaving the tree on the stump makes it easy to hitch up.  There are great cutting post on the forum but our trees are relatively small so technique is a tad different...Stay safe

logon

thecfarm

Good idea,drive up to the stump and lift them off the stump.
I cut a pile of those trees like that,most times 3 to a clump,sometimes even 5. Took alot of winching them down. Almost look the same size. Was not heavy enough to break through the limbs of the other trees.Now we can see the corner of the field. I had a lot of limb wood to burn that year and a good size brush pile to burn. That got burned when there was still snow on the ground. I had to haul off what did not burn to another pile.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mike_belben

Thats clever to twist up the chain like a fence post brace wire.  

Heres one of my tricks.  Carb tuning screwdriver i grind into the end of my files.

Praise The Lord

whatwas

This is my file thing, use golf balls for handles, when the file gets dull throw the whole thing away (drill a pilot hole first)

life is good

whatwas

Stephen, I've really enjoyed this thread and have studied pics and tips. I currently building a felling wedge (a copy of yours) and am looking for a spot to mount the cowbell on my  Fordson. Its got me motivated enough to dig out my ole winch and head to the bush yesterday aft. with plans to go back today. All the pics and stories of you guys taking your kids with you also remind me of taking my boys with me and spending more time walking around in the bush, talking and picking the trees for next years firewood than working.
So just want to say thanks for sharing to you and everyone else.
Doug <br
these red pine were planted by my uncle and my mother in 1943>
life is good

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

47sawdust

The title of this post is just perfect.......wanders around some but eventually circles back to somewheres near the beginning.You all make me smile and proud to be here.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Stephen Alford

Very nice what was. Keep them coming.
Mike that cylinder is not that big. Just in casing. Dont know if your a fan of Monty Python ...my chums call it " da black night " .  First post from my new phone in the woods...gonna get a lot done now..  :-(
logon

Stephen Alford

Well 47 sawdust full circle it is . Back in the stand were I started. Just a beautiful day.  Had the first taste of maple sap this year. Had to drop the blade as things are a bit tighter in places.   Got to say the skidder/ tractor was a nice combo.  The oldoll was the beast for the times when the snow was deep the wood was bad the mud was a pain and production was needed.    But with wood sales so bad the tractor is fine.   :)

</br></br> </br></br> </br></br>
logon

mike_belben

I think im gonna try to clone your processing layout.  Would make my setup a lot more efficient.  I bring home a lot of limbwood too, and handle than in a roller rack conveyer with a chopsaw at the end.  But big wood is just on the ground and makes for a lot of sharpening and lifting onto the splitter. I really need to set things up so that the loader and an eventual wood conveyor are doing most of the real labor.  Have the two "sides" funnel together onto the conveyor like yours.  
Praise The Lord

Stephen Alford

For what its worth  having a road circle around the area where the wood is processed helps. The area under the conveyor is the high point . Because it is a high traffic path and getting gone with the load is a priority. When the soil gets damp...goose comes to mind.

Having a major snow storm here to day.... come back "summer"

logon

lopet

Noticed the SMS on your log truck, are you running it with farm plates ? Or is PEI just a little more tolerant ? :D
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Stephen Alford

Have never ran farm plates. Always inspected and insured to the hilt. We also have a system for annual driver physicals.   When your truck is inspected all your measurements  (brake drums etc) are stored in an attribute file.  When dot pulls you over they will pull your file and check everything.  Had 4  reds on the back of the ol Pete.  Had one incident were a young mother with a baby on board got in my line heading towards me while flossing her teeth.  I bet her ears are still ringing from the sound of my air horns. Always figured I brought her closer to the lord that day. After the mills closed and the industry tanked decide the yard was the best place  for the truck. We have a lot of tourists. Roads here get hectic with so many folks having such a diversity of driving habits. 
logon

47sawdust

"Roads here get hectic with so many folks having such a diversity of driving habits"e

Stephen,you are a smooth talker.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

starmac

I hauled a load today, first time we have been in the woods for a couple of months. This sale is only 11 1/2 miles in, but about half way someone had stuck up a sign, saying dog teams on road. There is plenty of evidence of them, but thank god I didn't meet one, the road is barely, and I mean BARELY plowed as wide as a truck, with four to five foot burms on each side. I am pretty sure any dog team I meet will be chapped for having to turn around.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Stephen Alford

Having a snow/rain day. Muck season is upon us. The snow conditions in the stand were not bad last week.

Have gone through a lot of wedges this winter. combination of cold and an 8 lb mall, put a 2 lb head on the old handle and I am really surprised how great it works. this is the current set.

Couple stand pics.

By laying a skid log down first the others come nicely.  Some of the wood coming off.

One of the seed trees left behind 30 years ago.   :)

logon

mike_belben

How do you keep all the gear from getting stolen?  Taking it all with you or bringing the tractor home every night?
Praise The Lord

Stephen Alford

Charlottetown is perceived to be the safest city in the Maritimes by Maritimers and the number two city by Canadians.  For the most part when you live on an island there is a sense  of community. Everybody knows everybody or is related ie third cousin second time removed. :D   However  theft is pretty common.   Sorta three kinds of thieves. The young heller who is just learning and needs a wee course in respect. The desperate ...and they just need a hand up. Then there is the pro.  For them it is just about the money. What they steel they want to sell and fast.  When your tools are home made they don't want them.  Not much value to the buyer and to easy to trace or identify.  So that leaves equipment... make it hard to start and hard to get at. I cut out a place to park it in a thicket out of site and stumps between it and the landing.    Batteries..... the large ford farm batteries. They are deep cycle and do not fit in cars or trucks without modification. Saws...they come home. If I leave them in the woods I stach them under an old skidder tube opened up.  The tube reflects no light and with a bit of slash it is hard to spot.  Can't find them myself some mornings.  :'(    Fuel is the tough one. Sometimes the best you can do is see the thief gets gaubed with grease. A lot of grease.  May loose some fuel but sure puts a smile on my face.   :)   If you have someone coming around with grease stains on their clothes clean finger nails and a handshake like a noodle... class is in session ;)
logon

thecfarm

We had trouble here a few times. My Father was mowing the fields with the old NAA. Parked it in the woods. This is a dead end dirt road with only one family living here at the time. Someone stole the distributor and and then poured sand down the opening. ::)  >:(  The sand had to come from the dirt road,more than 500 feet away.
I kept the tractor here in some sort of shed that I built.which was locked. But I also had the fuel tank with a lock over it and had something through the dipstick so if it was tampered with I could tell. Some people are jealous of what others have and try to destroy it. ::)  Maybe if them type of people would work a full time job,than they could have stuff too.
I always enjoy your pictures and posts.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mike_belben

Only one type of thief here, addicts, tons of them in my corner of the county.  Maybe 30% of the population.  Ive lived in bad neighborhoods in the north and the south, with valuable stuff always sprawled all over.  I have never had anything stolen in either place and i can be gone for a week or 3 months.

Lots and lots and lots of staring contests and confrontations and yelling and some shooting to get my point across.  Thieves have one common theme.  All Cowards.  

My bobcat is chained to a light pole right now up the road.  Real good chance itll get messed with by those too cowardly to mess with me to my face.
Praise The Lord

Stephen Alford

Hard for me to get my head around someone who destroys property belonging to others  cfarm.   In some respect you must represent all that they are not.  I appreciate your posts and insight as well.  :)

Man oh man ,that must be discouraging Mike.  I cannot imagine a more dangerous sitch than someone heading to the woods using heavy equipment with a  head full of domestic  unresolved  issues.  How do the other 70% cope. Is there an opportunity for a small security business or possibly secure storage facility at your place  ?  Dawned on me that the Cumberland plateau may be the same area that has the Cumberland gap that Danial Boone  used .  Had a look at the sat imagery. That Cumberland tunnel is awesome. Hard to believe that can be done yet you lose sleep over vandals.  Sounds like they are pretty entrenched.  By the way those are beautiful oak stands you are looking at.  Wish I knew of some solutions for you but this is just something I am not familiar with.  The FF has an incredible  folks  ....maybe...just maybe....
logon

teakwood

Quote from: mike_belben on April 05, 2018, 08:47:30 AM
Only one type of thief here, addicts, tons of them in my corner of the county.  Maybe 30% of the population.  Ive lived in bad neighborhoods in the north and the south, with valuable stuff always sprawled all over.  I have never had anything stolen in either place and i can be gone for a week or 3 months.

Lots and lots and lots of staring contests and confrontations and yelling and some shooting to get my point across.  Thieves have one common theme.  All Cowards.  

My bobcat is chained to a light pole right now up the road.  Real good chance itll get messed with by those too cowardly to mess with me to my face.
30% ?? that sounds awful. We don't have lots of robbery, most in the citys where people are more defenseless. all thieves know that the finca (farm) owners, including me, have guns in their homes and will put up a fight if they go steal there.
We have some violence between the narco families (drug war), sometimes they find peoples burned up in stolen cars with some hands and foots cut off  . But if you not in that business you don't have to worry.
Sadly lots of young peoples like to make 200-400 dollars in a few hours on a drug haul than work for 500$ dollars a month with hard, honest work 
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

teakwood

Quote from: thecfarm on April 05, 2018, 08:15:08 AMSomeone stole the distributor and and then poured sand down the opening.  

It would be pleasant to catch that guy in the acct and brake'm an arm or hand so maybe he gets cured!!
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

mike_belben

Please keep in mind i am speculating here and also that my worldview is made up by my day to day life.  I live on a road thats known far and wide as the place to get the pills you need.  Last night there was an argument few doors away that ended with rounds getting popped off and no law.  I literally paused from typing this to watch two guys steal some appliance out of abandoned house 2 doors over.  So on my road id put the numbers closer to 60% or so.  I dont stress about it.  I have made it clear that two can play the home invasion game.  Bible says the lord will make my enemies into my footstool and so far he has.  A mans got to stand for something.

Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!