iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Great Portable Sawmill Shootout 2003

Started by Bibbyman, June 02, 2003, 06:14:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

I always check the Wood-Mizer website at the first of each month because that's when they typically update their info,

This morning I find they have included a article on how the Wood-Mizer mills did in competition in Bangor, MA at the Great Portable Sawmill Shootout 2003 contest.

Great Portable Sawmill Shootout 2003 - from WM website.

Congratulations to the Wood-Mizer team for an outstanding performance.

The article also has a link to a tabe showing all the results.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

HORSELOGGER

Gee... Look at them swingblade mills!  8) Fastest and most productive. Peterson ran a 10" which is around 15% less efficient than the 8" due to kerf. The Lucas had no mis-cuts. Pretty good couple of mills for 1/2  to 1/3 the money of the Baker and Miser. ;D
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

Percy

Yep them swingers really shone this year. Should be some verbal volleyball happenen between the Lucas/Peterson camps. I tailed on a Lucas 8/25 last year and we were makin 12 foot 2X6 nearly 2 a miniute for a while anyways(big logs). They certainly are formidable in these competitions and cheap to boot. Still didnt buy one though...
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

KiwiJake

Percy

Heya Kiwi
I bought an LT70(my second mill). I already have an edger.  I thought real hard on that one and for what Im doing, it was the right choice for me...BUT...I sure would like to have a swinger as well and if things go well enuff in the next couple of years I may add one to the fleet...heh
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

KiwiJake

Hows your lt70 going, no regrets I quess. Why are you needing a swinger? Production, cant resawing, big old off road logs, or just another toy to play around with. Tell you what the automated swinger is a cool toy to play with. We are about to head off to the NZ fieldays to show it off. It'll be great to see the reaction from the competition. Setworks are coool 8). After pushing my old mill up and down it sure makes you appreciate it. I don't get to see alot of Woodmizers over here, but when I do I'm always curious and apreciative toward other sawmills and ways of doing things. Last time I seen one was at a big international forestry show right at home in Rotorua last year, I think it was an Lt40 hydraulic.  

Vermonter

I noticed the mill costs weren't posted, but I think the sponsor was trying to level the field a bit, I'm sure they know that people intepret the results in many different ways.  They are trying not to emphasis the speed, I get a bit worried about someone getting hurt.   A table is also posted at www.petersonmills.com/shootouttable.htm.  There's also a bit more information and a story about the show.
New homestead

Bibbyman

Good write up.  Sounded to me like the lumber judging was pretty strict and it would be really easy to think you were within the wane spec and still be out.

I've heard that Ind. Sawmill and Woodlot is not going to declare winners.  Maybe that's appropriate.  Looks to me like everyone did well and has a right to brag.
Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

Got our Ind. Sawmill and Woodlot magazine last evening.  I guess I glossed over the fact that the LT40HD Wood-Mizer was using was powered by the 36hp Nissan gas engine.  I assumed since it was a Super,  they were using the 42 diesel engine.  

Also,  it was revealed that the Baker boys were using an edger where as Wood-Mizer edged on the mill. Still Wood-Mizer "edged" out the Baker by a few BF/hour.
Sawing since '94

EZ

What a bumer, o-well maybe next time. :-[
EZ

Bibbyman

Sawing since '94

EZ

I try to be a #1 Baker man but every time I turn around some other mill has them beat some how some way. I've talk alot with the Baker Boys, they do hold their grown with their product. I have never heard them down grade another mill, but the more I see WM's, the more I want to buy one or build one. The only thing that scares me about WM is the weeble wooble when the blade is engaged. I do like the stable frame and the no post on the one side.
EZ

Bibbyman

EZ, I like to say there is nothing "wrong" with band mills other than Wood-Mizer.  But, for me,  there is a lot more things "right" about Wood-Mizer mills.  

In my opinion (as I've not owned or sawn on other mills) - For the same production rate as a comparable 4-post/2-rail mill, Wood-Mizer mills are lighter, stiffer and easier to tow and to set up.  I like the lower deck height and the clear corners to step in and pull boards.  I like that I can put a log on the mill longer than the mill and not have to fight with a post on the right side.  Logs larger than rated diameter can be sawn by doing some notching on one corner vs. having to trim the whole side or sides.  I could keep going.

While the Shootout would be an interesting exhibition to watch, and it does provide some input to someone evaluating mills,  I don't think it's enough in itself to base a purchase decision.  Lots of other consideration beside who can produce more boards in a shorter period of time or how many miss-cuts there were.  Everyone was so close that the luck of the draw of logs, or one little bobble could change the numbers.   The Shootout really don't show things like quality, customer support, resale value, etc.

Others have suggested the Shootout be changed to more closely resemble a typical sawing day with an array of logs and conditions.  I don't think that's possible in the setting they have to work with.  I got to thinking,  it would have been interesting if each of the mills had to stop after their second log sawn and breakdown their mill for transport and then set it back up again.  I think that would have been real good input for someone that is thinking of using the mill for a "door to door" sawing service.
Sawing since '94

Jeff

I wish they would let me in that shootout. Give me 10 minutes. ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bibbyman

Portable Jeff.  We keep leaving that word out of the title of the competition. "The Great Portable Sawmill Shootout".  

I think a couple of years ago there was a company from Europe brought in some big circle mill and a generation plant and called it portable.   I remember (maybe wrong) that it cost something like $200,000.00.  But it won!
Sawing since '94

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DanG

It seems to me they could do a better job of selecting logs for these things, so that everyone would have a decent shot....level the playing field.  I've been to Maine, and I saw a lot of nice straight trees, so I know it isn't an availability problem. If they can't do better than what they did this year, the ragazine should drop the event altogether. jmho
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

EZ

Bibbyman,
After reading your post I had to go back to my post to see if I said some thing that upset you. If you are I did'nt mean to, I think WM puts out a great mill, but like I said before, when ever they wood rep the motor then I always see the cantivel(sp) head move back and forth. I'm just not to keen about that.
EZ

biziedizie

EZ when I was at the Powell River show I noticed the same thing with the head movement when they cranked it up for every cut.

Bibby does this effect the cutting at all? Also being that the head is on a single post doesn't this create alot more stress on the machine then if it was a four poster?

I still like the Mizer bed though as the ez of getting the boards off is far by none.

Steve

Bibbyman

EZ,  I'm not upset in the least.   I talk to the Baker Boys at every forestry show where we both show up.  Great guys.  Heck,  one of my best friends has a Baker mill.  If you like Baker, have a Baker,  go, saw and be happy.  Like I say, there is nothing wrong with other mills.  FOR ME,   there are more things right about Wood-Mizer mills.

Whatever bobble you may see in the cantilever head is "pulled out" when the blade hits the log.  It does not transfer to the cut.  It's not a problem. The proof is in the lumber produced.  
Sawing since '94

woodmills1

cantaleaverher cause I love her :D o never mind

any way, due to the way the head is hung on the woodmizer there does look like there is a lot of play.  In other words there are two rollers at 90 degrees apart on the top, but only one on the bottom.  the second spot on the bottom is a solid bar that gets adjusted to very close but not touching the track.  I can push up on my sawhead and make it move quite a bit but it doesn't do that while cutting.  any weeble wobble is due strictly to the blade, that is it only wavers if it is not sharp, set incorrectly or over fed.

the benifit to not having 2 posts are just as bibbyman said.  I can set the mill up in just a few minutes and it is very forgiving of uneven ground.  I can load up a huge lump of a log raise the head all the way and move the blade guide all the way out.  most times I can make a pass but if not a few chainsaw cuts to the butt flair usually works.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!