iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Selling: Where to advertise?

Started by PKAMWood, March 27, 2007, 08:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PKAMWood

For various reasons, I can't continue milling (custom on-site sawing).
Where is the best place to sell my LT40Hyd?  I just don't feel right giving someone 10% of the sales price to advertise it...   ideas?

Thanks
-Paul

Dan_Shade

if you don't want to pay a commission, try your local paper.

why should someone help you sell your goods for free?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

PKAMWood

Thanks for the suggestion Dan.  I'm not looking for free. A couple grand for posting a couple dozen words on a web page seems a little steep, that's all.

Bibbyman

We had two WM mills at one time and decided to sale them both and buy a new mill.  I placed an ad in a regional ad sheet and got lots of calls.  I think the ad cost $14.00. We eventually sold one to one of the guys that answered the ad.  The other was sold through word of mouth.

There are a couple of mill brokers that buy, fix up and resale mills.  You'll probably get a far price but maybe not necessarily as much as you would if you find the right buyer yourself.

I think if you call Wood-Mizer they'll give you some idea of what your mill is worth. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Furby

Paul, it costs a lot more then that to sell a house, think you need to think things through a bit.
I don't like taking a hit on stuff like that either, but fact is, on the right site those "couple dozen words on a web page" get seen by more folks then would ever read your local papers.
More to the point, folks that read those words on the web page are probly folks that are in the business, unlike Joe Somebody reading the local press.

Jeff B doesn't ask 10% here, might want to talk to him. ;)

Cedarman

For a hundred bucks or so you can put an ad in American Lumber and Pallet or Lumberman's Digest.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Kelvin

I guess the thinking might be that they will sell your mill for more than you can get locally.  Therefore the extra cost of advertising is made up for by higher sale.  Just like realators.  Don't know if it works out that way.  I can't believe how many i've seen sold here and there over the years.  Woodmizer said they have 100 mills within a 100 mile radius of me.  I bet you could find someone local with a paper ad, as everyone is dreaming of having one some day.  Also, if you are willing to share a customer base, training, support and extra equipment all are worth lots to a new person to the business.  Heck if i could have started out with some referals and someone elses customer base life would have been a lot easier. 
Ebay sells them constantly, and they seem to go for a very good price.  Ebay charges 3% i think, but it sure is a nail biter to watch an auction.  They only work well if you have an absolute auction, and they won't bid till the last 30 seconds when you are sure you got wiped out.  Very nerve racking.
Good luck

Jeff

The way I look at it you are sorta going the free route with this thread. The forestry Forum requires 5% but I dont press it and if you have special circumstances I can certainly reduce it or wave it.  Its not the few words your getting its the targeted audience and the thousands of hours we have invested into bringing that target audience to one place. You may not feel right giving money away but you are not you are paying for a service just like you would working with a realtor. Adjust your price up to cover the cost of selling if you have to.  I had a month not to far back where my bandwidth cost 1700 dollars because of a video that people liked to watch. Maybe you watched it as well? Who knows.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

raycon

PKAMWood -- I don't know you but was just talking about you. (Good way).  Going to help out a previous customer of yours.

Selling it on this site,craigslist.org list it in the Hudson Valley or the NYC area. You only get one listing nationwide so pick an area with activity.  In our area we had  6 or so new supers setup in the last few months and woodmizer is having a demo at the Wooden Boat show in July (Mystic CT) so it might take a time period to get your asking price. 

Shoot me an email some time like to meet you.

Ray
Lot of stuff..

customsawyer

I must be in a different boat than most as I don't mind paying someone for a service they provide as long as that service works. I placed an add on the forum here for my LT40 and it was sold in less than a month. That to me is a service that works so I sent Jeff his com. the very next day. I actully sold the mill faster than I wanted to as I still had logs to cut with it so I ended up having to haul them to my other mill. The point I am trying to make is that I don't get on here as much as I would like but with my add on here it kept my mill in the eyes of alot of people and I didn't have to do any leg work. When I do a job for somebody it might be sawmilling or treeplanting but it is a service and I would like to get paid for the service I provide and rightly so. I don't see what Jeff is doing as any different other than the fact that he is able to make his with his mind and I have to use my back but it is still a service and should be compensated for it. If you could sell a house with in a month of it being on the market and you don't have to do anything but type a few words on a thread and then the buyer showed up with check for the house what would that be worth?
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!