iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2 years and still waffling on Sawmill purchase

Started by dirtymartini, April 22, 2017, 05:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirtymartini

Got a shipping quote from Stanton on a EZ Boardwalk Jr. $850 shipped to my location with trailer package and 5' extension. Ouch! Maybe I should check u-ship.com?

terrifictimbersllc

Getting a sawmill is a good thing. Waffle a bit but not too long.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

petefrom bearswamp

How far would you have to go to get the mill?
uship works but there are more fees than I realized.
I used it for a trailer I bought in Michigan and had planned to go myself to get it
thought it would be cheaper to use uship, but it turned out not to be so.
the young couple that brought it came with a beat up chevy blazer with non working 4wd and couldnt get up my snow covered driveway (3" of snow), so I had to bring it up my hilly driveway with my PU. Poor folks looked like they didnt have 2 nickles to rub together so my wife gave them a generous tip. they had 2 beautiful young daughters with them. Lesson learned.
Then he had to get under the hood to start the vehicle before they headed to eastern Mass with a large duck boat which was on the roof of the blazer.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

hunterbuild

Frist sawing I did was with a neighbor who was repairing a big hydraulic saw with bells and whistles. I wanted a saw so bad. I could wait and save forever or get something I could afford. I got a Harbor Fright saw for under $1700 delivered to my place. Yes I did have to do some self repairs and mods, but nothing major. I've been cutting for over three years now, its still plugging away. I put a 13 hp predator motor on it this spring. Its doing what ever I throw at it, so I guess I'll stick with it. I do have a skid steer, so hydraulics can be done with out. Its slow going, but so am I. 72 and still going.

dirtymartini

Stanton from EZ Boardwalk called back today with a lower quote from Fed-Ex freight, $650. That would make the EZ Boardwalk JR with trailer package and 5 foot bed extension around $5650 delivered to me.

The Woodland Mills HM130 Trekker XL would be around $6597 delivered. 

I have to say I do like the idea of the welded bed on the EZ Jr....and I won't have to spend hours assembling it. The only drawback I see is the 6-8 week wait for the mill to be built.

New sawyer

I agree , bite the bullet and buy one . I did . I ordered a Timber King 1400 . The shipping would have been $2500 to my home. Me ,my wife and son are driving  from CT to Kansas City to pick it up in August . Can't wait to saw some logs. 
Life is what you make of it. You own your own decisions.

SawyerTed

Quote from: dirtymartini on May 18, 2018, 08:41:12 PM
Stanton from EZ Boardwalk called back today with a lower quote from Fed-Ex freight, $650. That would make the EZ Boardwalk JR with trailer package and 5 foot bed extension around $5650 delivered to me.

I have to say I do like the idea of the welded bed on the EZ Jr....and I won't have to spend hours assembling it. The only drawback I see is the 6-8 week wait for the mill to be built.
As best as I can tell, you've waited 2 years plus, what's a couple more months to get what you want?
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

dirtymartini

Quote from: SawyerTed on May 18, 2018, 11:12:52 PM
Quote from: dirtymartini on May 18, 2018, 08:41:12 PM

As best as I can tell, you've waited 2 years plus, what's a couple more months to get what you want?
SawyerTed I think you are right...what's another couple months. I have been putting this off for way over two years. EZ Boardwalk Jr it will be.

Skipper11A

Make sure you get the log turner with the EZ.  The log turner would be my #1 add-on for the EZ Boardwalk.    I  like your decision to buy the trailer package and one extension, that's perfect.  I also recommend their blade sharpener with a diamond wheel, and Logrite cant hooks.  You won't regret any of these purchases.

After more thought, I would also recommend an electric starter for your engine so you can turn it on and off in between cuts.  You will save a lot of fuel as well as wear and tear on your engine.  I say this because you are buying a manual mill and I assume that you will be working alone so the majority of your time will be spent removing slabs, turning logs, etc., it is a waste to allow your engine to idle for such extended periods of time.

SawyerTed

I think you've made a good decision.  The EZ Boardwalk machines are fine machines and well built. 

Skipper has made some good suggestions.   When you order your mill go ahead and start your compliment of tools but don't overlook the safety gear - hearing protection for you and your helpers (to protect your hearing but also to reduce fatigue), eye protection and foot protection (I found some composite toe athletic type shoes) 

I had a topic on support tools about 5 months ago.  There was great advice on the things that are handy to have around the mill.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Darrel

EZ Boardwalk is a well built mill. I'm pretty sure that you're going to be happy. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

terrifictimbersllc

If  When you stop waffling change the title of this thread.   :)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

dirtymartini

Quote from: Skipper11A on May 20, 2018, 10:23:15 AM
Make sure you get the log turner with the EZ.  The log turner would be my #1 add-on for the EZ Boardwalk.    I  like your decision to buy the trailer package and one extension, that's perfect.  I also recommend their blade sharpener with a diamond wheel, and Logrite cant hooks.  You won't regret any of these purchases.

After more thought, I would also recommend an electric starter for your engine so you can turn it on and off in between cuts.  You will save a lot of fuel as well as wear and tear on your engine.  I say this because you are buying a manual mill and I assume that you will be working alone so the majority of your time will be spent removing slabs, turning logs, etc., it is a waste to allow your engine to idle for such extended periods of time.
Yes, I was definitely going to add the electric start. I wasn't sure about the log turner but now I'm giving it a second look.

petefrom bearswamp

As for footgear I got a pair of these mentioned shoes with the hard toe which are pretty comfortable, but I still manage to drop stuff on my instep once in a while.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!