iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Mason Dixon Line

Started by Roxie, April 01, 2005, 08:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sawyerfortyish

Asy around here a local zoo picks up the dead deer to feed there lions and other animals.
    I have noticed when I had to go to south Jersey the cigarette butts lay all over the ground by the thousands at every traffic light. I think to myself  what lazy slobs threw them there. I don't see it so much were I live in north jersey.  I don't smoke and I don't throw litter out my window. If you look in my truck there is a bag for it

Brad_S.

I bought an old fur farm, but one scavenger had yet to hear the farm was defunct and showed up one day with a 16' trailer full of road kill. Appearantly they used to grind up anything and feed it to the little carnivors.

For you PA'ers, this marker is located in Fishers, NY, about 20 miles from the Lake Ontario shore and 1/2 mile south of I-90 (New York state Thruway).
Certainly would change how the maps look!

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

crtreedude

Hey Brad,

I used to live in that neck of the woods at one time - saw the picture in the gallery and had to look it up.

Beautiful part of the world, but too cold for me.

I now leave about at the 7th  Parallell. You know, you start heading south you have no idea where you might end up...  :D

So, how did I end up here anyway?

etat

I have, and I'm telling the truth a government built watershed lake joining my property with some of the best bass fishing you'll ever find.  It was built in th 60's but the land still belongs to the landholders. Five to eight pounders are common and ocassionally ya hang one of the big ones.  I've turned back way more fish than I've ever kept out of that lake. 

I have one of 'three' ways to get down to that lake.  When I moved on this property my grandfather had always kept the road open to the public.  The other's were already gated off.

For a couple of months I suffered mud riders across my propety and beer parties down the hill from my back door.  Time and again I warned folks not to come in when it was muddy and take their trash with em.

Guess what.  The road is now fenced off with a locked gate.  Crossing my land to go fishing is now by invitation only.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Brad_S.

crtreedude,
If you've been gone longer than 10 years, you wouldn't recognize the place. Eastview Mall, once a podunk outpost that many didn't feel even qualified as a mall is now the largest around. Retail shops are every where and real estate prices are silly stupid.

Progess. ::)

And there's plenty of litter around here too.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

asy

Quote from: cktate on April 02, 2005, 08:56:32 PM
Guess what.  The road is now fenced off with a locked gate.  Crossing my land to go fishing is now by invitation only.

I love fishing, don't do anywhere near enough of it, haven't been for YEARS...

I'd love to go fishing with you if we're ever in your neck of the woods...

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Ironwood

Timber Framer,

I have gone over the road to Mexico City 4 times and flown in once and the trash down there is well focused,.................in neighborhood ravines and well it is sad to see childern looking for food there. Many homeless children there and it is sad to see but at least every usable item is consumed before it is ultimately throw away, wish that occured in this country,.................. we do have some ugly Americans aboout this place, they are usually the nicest dressed and live in the fanciest houses, and usually drive new cars. They could support many families each year off of the "trash" at there curbsides. They are usually to lazy to even donate it to Goodwill or other non-profits. I am still trying to figure out how to convey to my three year old to eat everything on his plate as others around the world are starving.........Just so you folks know I am a Laize-Faire gov. type and survival of the fittest dude but just can't STAND WASTE! :-[   Mexicans sem to also consme any roadkill  with a vengence as the roadside are devoid of any meatly debris, including the canine type which are their most common wild animal from what I have seen. By the way this is not ment to be derogatory in any fashion(almost a shame to have to throw that in).
               OFF MY SOAPBOX NOW. REID
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Roxie

Hey Brad S!  That picture is great!  I never knew that!  Ya know, ya really do learn something new every day on this forum!   :)  I'm glad you posted that!
Say when

MemphisLogger

Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

Tom

I heard a story, might have been here on the forum, about a State work crew that had installed an underpass below a well traveled road for utilities and wildlife passage.  Stopped one day, several miles up the road, the engineer was confronted by a little old lady resident who was adamant that they move the "Deer Crossing" sign closer to the underpass.  "This is just as dangerous a place for them to cross as it's ever been", she said. :)

beenthere

UrbanLogger
The words that I saw attached to that picture of the yellow lines crossing over the possum were:

Not my job!
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

MemphisLogger

Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

Patty

I walked the ditches on the south side of the property this morning picking up trash. It took only about a mile to fill up a garbage bag.  >:( While walking you have the time to contemplate.....hmmmm the beer cans out number the pop cans 10 to 1.............that is scarey......hmmm at least most the folks who are drinking  beer are drinking Budweiser  8)...ah yes, random thoughts on a Sunday morning.  :D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Norm

It tells you one thing for sure......they may be slobs but they know a good beer. ;D

Buzz-sawyer

Patty
I do not drink and drive.......
BUT when , I see all the beer cans in the ditch...It reminds me that otheres DO!!!
As a teen in the 70's in rural area it was a ritual to drink and drive the country roads...every friday and Saturday night.
On the rare ocassion a cop pulled us over they would make us pour out any open containers, and possibly CONFISCATE our brew.....Rare ocassions would be illegal trasportation of alchohol ticket...$35 .....
Sent us on our way crocked as ever........TOTALLY different situation today.
Now even if I have a A single beer I will let someone else drive.... :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

hiya

When I lived in Pa. someone dumped trash along the road close to our place. I found a paper with a name and adress, I called the athorites. The next day the guilty party was out to clean up the mess. 8) 8)
Richard
RichardinMd.

asy

That's cool Richard!

I don't understand why people do that???

Do they not have bins at home?

Ron Wenrich

The deer use the old railroad underpass below my property.  I've never seen any hit anywhere near the underpass.  I have heard that the state has put in some deer underpasses on some of the major highways.  Could be an urban myth.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

etat

QuoteDo they not have bins at home?

I don't know about everywhere else asy but out here in rural Mississippi trash bins were eliminated about 10 or 12 years ago.  Now the county picks up trash at the roadside a each individual residence once a week.  We do have to keep it bagged.  I like many ohers have my own, homemade, bin to put the trash bags in. We do have to pay for the service.  If we don't when it comes time to renew our car or truck tags they will be withheld until the garbage collection fee is paid up to date.  And there ARE rules about what can and can't be put in the bags:)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

ScottAR

In town, city workers pick up nearly everything at the street.  If it's in a can, the can goes too.   :D   Out in the county,  one is issued a rolling can.  Once a week, a truck comes out and the arm on the side grabs the can and dumps it it the truck.    Pretty neat to see.....   but I'm easily entertained some days.   :D :D
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Minnesota_boy

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on April 03, 2005, 08:56:33 PM
The deer use the old railroad underpass below my property.  I've never seen any hit anywhere near the underpass.  I have heard that the state has put in some deer underpasses on some of the major highways.  Could be an urban myth.

Near Banff, Alberta, the highway goes under an elevated walkway that's planted with grass and bushes for a place for the elk and grizzly bears to cross.  I'd suspect it wouldn't be pretty to hit either with your car or truck.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

asy

Ok, y'all can put this in the 'stupid questions' bin, but...

How do they know to cross there? Are there fences along the rest of the highway???

And don't anyone say there are signs..  lol

or has it just become habit?

Ron Wenrich

For my underpass, it seems that they know that is the way.  I guess its kinda been passed down from generation to generation.  The bears would have a larger range then the deer.  Maybe they just follow the elk berries.    :D
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Minnesota_boy

The overpass in Alberta was the only opening in an 8 foot tall fence for miles.  The fence keeps the critters off the highway, the overpass lets the critters get to the other side for feeding and breeding.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Bro. Noble

Well,

finally we know why those critters crossed the road :D :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Thank You Sponsors!