iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ten things I hate and like about winter.

Started by Bibbyman, December 24, 2005, 08:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

I hate.. >:(

10.   ... the cold, dismal weather.
9.   ... having to wear heavy coats, gloves, insulated underwear.
8.   ... to have to cut and bring in firewood.
7.   ... that every thing outside is some shade of gray.
6.   ... the short hours of sunshine – when it shines at all.
5.   ... when it's 6:30 pm and you feel like going to bed.
4.   ... that everything is hard to start and to keep running.
3.   ... scraping ice off the windshield.
2.   ... ice in my beard and mustache.
1.   ... attractive women all bundled up so they all look like Ewoks. 

I like ... :)

10.   ... having no bugs!
9.   ... coming in from the cold to set by the fire.
8.   ... short work days – fewer interruptions in the evenings.
7.   ... long winter nights.
6.   ... the clean look of fresh fallen snow.
5.   ... that cold drinks stay cold until they're completely drank.
4.   ... warm soups and chilies. 
3.   ... snuggling under heavy blankets in a cool bedroom.
2.   ... seeing a bald eagle soaring across the sky.
1.   ... knowing spring is only a couple of months away!

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Frank_Pender

Frank Pender

ElectricAl

Bibbman and Frank,

You guys need a nice heated SawShop ;)

At 70 degrees, no bundling required ;D
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

farmerdoug

We see bald eagles all the time here as there is a nest on the Ford Reservoir just a couples of miles from where I live. 8)

Farmrdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Woodwalker

Snow???? It was 70 degrees here today, warmer tomorrow.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

Part_Timer

Winter is a lot like pouring concrete.  It proves who your real friends are. :)

Only a real friend will help skid logs at 10 deg.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Bibbyman

Quote from: ElectricAl on December 24, 2005, 09:14:57 PM
Bibbman and Frank,

You guys need a nice heated SawShop ;)

At 70 degrees, no bundling required ;D

You've got a real nice setup for sawing in bad weather - but it's missing this great view that changes with the seasons.
Sawing since '94

Frank_Pender

It was 59 degrees here, today.   We just completed a cold snap of about ten days below freezing and no moisture until the last two.
Frank Pender

thecfarm

The number one thing I like about winter,more time to spend right here at my favorate forum!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Modat22

Why does everything wait to break in the winter time, why not summer?
remember man that thy are dust.

DanG

I have wracked my brain, and can only think of one thing to recommend Winter.  I don't have to mow the grass.  I'd gladly trade that for another hour of daylight or some warm weather.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Corley5

Every outdoor task takes exactly twice as long.  If a job takes an hour when it's warm you'd better alot two when it's cold ::)  Tools or parts dropped in the snow are all but impossible to find.  Unless they are ferrous and then that requires a trip back to the shop for the magnet ::)  Just went through that ;) ;D  Tractors need tire chains to function with any efficiency, gloves never stay dry for long, backing a two cord trailer load of firewood up hill and around the corner of a house on wet snow isn't feasible or possible but the customer won't believe it til you try ;) ;D.  A piece of equipment that worked flawlessly all year will fail with the coming of cold and snow, you find out how much water there really is in your suppliers fuel >:(
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

IMERC

Quote from: Bibbyman on December 24, 2005, 08:19:50 PM
I hate.. >:(

1.   ... attractive women all bundled up so they all look like Ewoks. 

So bring them inside . that'll take care of the Ewok look. thank goodness fer mood fires, fire wood, whip cream and coco. long nights to take it all in.

DOW said this morning that 11 feet of snow has fallen in the last two weeks. ya can loose a large truck let alone some small part.

I like winter.
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

thedeeredude

Geez, what do you guys have against the snow ;D  I love when it snows, but unfortanately, it ain't been doing much of that this year.  We got about 8" of snow total and a little here and there but thats it.  And its not a white Christmas today >:(

Daren

Snow is no good, but when it melts on top and the ground is froze 3" down it is worse. It warmed up and I have 3" of mud soup on top of frozen ground, what a mess.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

WH_Conley

I hear what yer sayin, Daren, had to hook the mill behind the tractor two weeks ago and drag it up the hill and across the neighbors farm to get it to a job. Have logs to saw at the house but can't get a truck in or out, log truck hasn't been home for two weeks, 4x4 only. Frozen mud on logs, chip for ever with an axe and still hit a chunk you missed, bye, bye blade. Snow snake bit the boy that helps me yesterday, was on the tractor with a load of sawdust on the trailer behind, taking it to his dad to bed horses with. Over the hill, no damage to him or the tractor, can't say that about the trailer.Did I mention that I hate sawing in the winter?
Bill

maple flats

I like winter. No bugs, no pollen allergies, everything looks new again, the beauty of nature, Don't get over heated, get more done per hour because no need to get a drink of water after eack cut, fewer visiters to slow things down, shorter work days and long nights to cuddle, that is the best.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Frickman

I was thinking of starting a new thread, but you all have beat me to it. How do you folks in the northern climates deal with the cold? I mean in a psycholigical way. Once I'm out in it, if it's a nice, clear day around 25, and I'm not broke down, its's not too bad. But just walking out of the house every morning when it' 10 and that cold air hitting your lungs gets to me day after day. I know winter has a purpose, and I don't want to wish my life away, but I can't wait for spring. The best thing about Christmas is that spring is only three months away.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

wiam

Frickman,  When it is 10 degrees we cheer because it is not -15. 

Will

ElectricAl

Ya Bib,

My view consists of concrete and OSB :-[,

and if I go outside my view is a barren farm ground. :-\

Being on top of a hill, I can see barren farm ground for miles. ;)
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

crtreedude

I am not allowed to mention our weather anymore- Jeff is wishing a snowstorm on us...  ::)
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Cedarman

I like it when the ground is frozen as there is no mud. I hate it when the ground if frozen as the logs are frozen too.  Hate sawing half frozen logs. I hate logs frozen to the ground.  I like unloading logs on frozen ground as they stay clean.  I hate it when the ground is not frozen, because everying is muddy. Logs are muddy, shoes are muddy, lumber gets mud on it, equipment gets mud on it.  I like it when the ground is not frozen because the logs are not frozen either. Did I mention I hate sawing frozen logs.  I hate a deep snow because it all falls off the roof at the same time making a 4 foot high snow drift that has to be moved. Oh, but walking through a nice falling snow at 3:30 PM Fri afternoon  (employees go home time), mill quiet time, is so beautiful.  Hope it all melts by Monday morning.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

crtreedude

Okay - thinks I like about YOUR winter and our summer.

It pretty much stops raining here from January till about Mid May - gets just a little breezy, temperatures are just a little cooler - when I go down to the fincas, it is about 82 or so for a high instead of 86 or so.

The fishing is great too. We get lots of construction projects down this time of year. All the trees are in the ground and we don't have to clean around the trees as much. We do have to prune a lot of trees this time of year, but that isn't too bad.

What do I hate? Influx of tourist - a HUGE influx right about now.

Oh, and there are bunches of tropical fruit that are ripe now - like Mangos!

thecfarm

Jeff,he was warned,get going on that snowstorm for Crtreedude ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

farmerdoug

Hey, I love mangos so hold that snowstorm as it may damage the trees. ;D  Beside if they get a snowstorm all the way down there I hate to think how cold it would be here. ::)

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Bibbyman

Add to my lists...

I hate waking up with my lips dried to my teeth and gums because the air in the house is so dry.

I like not worrying about turning over a board, log, or something and finding an angry "Sir Hiss" coiled up waiting for me.
Sawing since '94

dail_h

I LOVE MANGOS,( I hate people telling about them growing all around ). I'd love to live where I could eat mangos off "MT" trees ,and rub it in on my friends who can't
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

crtreedude

Dail

They don't grow year round here - we have a dry spell for about 4 or 5 months. I am sure we have your sympathy...

Cedarman

Got caught in a hail storm yesterday.  Hate hailstorms year round.

mometal77

One thing you have to hate about winter getting up with no light.  Out of a warm bed and going outside and starting the car every morning.. At least some of you have a warm bed to come home too.. ;D
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Bibbyman

One more thing I like about winter is .... when there is that few days of warm sunshine and the air is crisp and clear!  :)

One more thing I hate about winter is.... where there is those few days of sunshine,  the angle of the sun is so low in the sky that it's always in my eyes.
>:(
Sawing since '94

dail_h

The only thing I like about winter is when it's over.
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Phorester

Winter is my favorite season.   A great time to be alive.

Jeff

Quote from: Phorester on January 15, 2006, 10:26:16 PM
Winter is my favorite season.   A great time to be alive.

Yer messing with us aintcha!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Modat22

I like winter down to about 20 degrees F.
remember man that thy are dust.

DoubleD

I really like watch the snow that fall from the sky and cover everything 8)
I hate the ice that cover my little car in the morning, I really hate snow snake >:(
Wannabe a sawmiller

sprucebunny

I LOVE winter

Really... I do

But this morning my car doors are frozen shut, the tracks are froze to the ground and the trailer jack is frozen GGGRRRRRR

I will have to modify my schedual today ::) ....or get the flame thrower out ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

isawlogs

New Hamphire   beware    the flamming bunny is on a mission .  ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

sprucebunny

:D Yaaa.....look out :D

The sprucebunny needs more wood.......firewood...sawwood.....more wood.... and I'm being kept from my fix :D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

crtreedude

I love that Winter is up there... and not down here. ::)

beenthere

Quote from: sprucebunny on January 17, 2006, 08:34:45 AM
...............I will have to modify my schedual today ::) ....or get the flame thrower out ;D
Or get that shed built.. :) :).....we'll try to give you encouragement here... 8) 8).... 
I like winter too, but we only had it a few short weeks in December, and now are (and have been) in the 30's for almost a month.  No snow now.   :'(
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Quartlow

I like winter in a way, easier to get around the woods, you can see the sead stuff that needs to come out.
Grounds fozen so theres no mud, oh though its been soft here lately, but my mill is sitting on concrete  ;D

Cold weather I can put more clothes on, summer time I can only take so much off before Istart scaring people  :D :D 
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

isawlogs

What I really dont like ....   Waking up at 4.30 and looking out to see that the yard and road is slicker then an ice rink that the zambony has just done finishing putting a top coat on . I took the truck out and went for a load of sand  :o :o :o  I am sure you herd the song   Slip sliding away ....  That is what I was doing , headed north the get to the sand pile .. and it was not long that I was heading south with out even turning the steering  :o  Very quick way to find out that the chains on all wheels are needed . Put them on at 5 this morning and took them off at 7 this evening .

I would rather have Snow . lots of it  rather then rain at this time of the year ...
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

iain

I hate most things at the end of winter, that i liked at the start ::)

dont have to much problem with summer  8)

iain

Deadwood

I know I will take grief for this, because I'm not lying here. I really love winter. I am not sure why. I guess growing up on a Dairy farm it was the only time things slowed down where we could enjoy them.

When I was a kid I always wanted to play Baseball, but man, springtime on a farm is the worse time as far as chores are concerned. So instead I played Hockey. Now I love that sport, love snowmobiling, love snowshoeing...just love everything about winter.

Someone asked how we deal with winter up North and no one really answered the person. Here is my take. You just go outside and live. My wife asks me that all the time. "How can you go outside and run your snowmobile when its 20 degrees below zero?" Well once you get the gear for it, you don't really notice it. You would be amazed at the beautiful sunrises/ sunsets I have seen. The wildlife enjoying winter as well. The snow capped mountains in the distance. In short, I truly pity you guys that don't get out in winter. You just don't know what you are missing.

Don't take this the wrong way, but in some ways I am glad few people get out in winter. It lets me have the glory/ splendor/ beauty all to myself.

Phorester

From JEFF:  "Yer messing with us aintcha!"

Nope, I really like winter.  I like the cold, like those dull steely grey-sky days, like rain, sleet, and snow as long as I don't have to drive much in them.  The woods are so quiet then.  I like getting up close to a good campfire or fireplace.  Coffee seems to taste better on cold days.

Having said that, here it is the end of January and it's suppossed to be in the 60's today and windy.  Here I should be shoveling snow and I'm worried about having fires this afternoon.........

crtreedude

I think some of you have been out in the cold too long... No offense meant.  ::)

Patty

I love winter time too, for the first couple months or so.

Life is so much harder in the winter, though.... Scooping and pushing snow around, chopping the ice out of the water tank, slip sliding to work, dark grey days, going to and from work in the dark....on the other hand the snow is beautiful when it falls and every thing is hushed. The sunrises and sunsets are spectacular, and I am awake to see them both, the trees silloetted against the snow are very pretty.

I guess what doesn't kill us makes us stronger.  ::)

I do wish the global warming would hurry up a bit, winters get awfully long come January.  :D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Teri

I hate to say this,but its in the 80's here,and will be for a few more days. :(

I NEED SNOW!!!!!! :D :D

wiam

isawlogs

Terry .. there is lots of it here ...  Tomorow I'll take  a few pics .. All ya got to do is come on over . Will fix that need for ya .  ;D

Marcel

Cedarman

cr, going outside to play in winter is fun, going outside to work in winter is not fun.  When I was a kid, winter was great when we went out to play. When we went out to feed the cows in a foot of mud was not.  Lighting the wick on an oil heater in the bottom of a hog watering tank at 1:00 in the morning with a 30 mile per hour wind at 15 below was a pure pain.

Looking at the picture of my brother and I in front of an igloo that we made when we were about 10 or so brings back why it was fun.

Deadwood

This year has been a little funny as far as weather is concerned here in Maine. We are having it mild, while the poor Russians are frezing to death...literally!

In any case the weather has been perfect for logging, at least where I am from and the way I do it (small tractor). The ground is frozen so the logs don't get all dirtied up, and I can get plenty of traction. No deep snow to wade through or trip my tractor up with. Then of course there is the other factor. That being if we did have lots of snow, I would be out snowmobiling everyday instead of getting some logs piled up for the sawmill!

wiam

Here we have not much snow, but the ground in the woods is not froze. :( :(

Will

IMERC

Quote from: Deadwood on January 20, 2006, 06:48:27 AM
I know I will take grief for this, because I'm not lying here. I really love winter.

me too.... exceptfor the shoveling so I don't bother with it.
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

Bibbyman

Add these two to my list....

I like late winter when it starts to warm up and it's comfortable to work without a heavy coat and such.

I hate it when it gets too warm in the day to have a fire going and too cool in the late evening and night to not have one. 

We kind of let the fire perk along during the day and start kindling it up in the evening.  Many times I'm melting by the time the temperature drops outside enough so the fire is comfortable.  >:(
Sawing since '94

wiam

Bibbyman that is one more reason I like my outdoor boiler.  The thermostat on the wall sets the temp on the house and the thermostat on the boiler sets the temp of the water.  I used to hate wood fires in the spring and fall because of the too hot/cold.

Will

Thank You Sponsors!