iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Has anyone watched TLC's Sara Palin's Alaska?

Started by fishpharmer, December 05, 2010, 09:40:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishpharmer

The Learning Channel has a relatively new "reality" show about Sara Palin's life and family.  I have been watching it tonight.  Mostly it shows hunting and fishing.  This isn't meant to be political, just commenting on show.  She is a neat gal, with a nice family that really enjoys the outdoors.

Anyone else seen it?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Buck

Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

KellyH

Awesome scenery for sure!  Helps me understand the reasoning many people have for living there.  Too bad the wife won't think about moving away from Kansas.  Huuummmm, maybe an Alaskan Cruise would be nice?  ;)
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is who you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

Magicman

I haven't missed an episode yet. After you have traveled to and visited Alaska, you just want to keep going back. Anyway that you can.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

paul case

i thouht the show was nice with some great shots of wildlife and what looks like a normal family except my normal family has some members that have to work 5 or 6 or 7 days a week.  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Coon

Was a good episode I just finished watching minutes ago.  I admire the courage that woman has.  Not too many like her.  Definately a hard working family overall.

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Brad_bb

I can't believe that Caribou just stood there after 5 shots.  I bet she'll never hear the end of that, even though they proved the scope was way out.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

sawguy21

Just finished watching her hunt caribou with her dad. I am not a hunter but have to admire the way she conducted herself and the scenery was outstanding.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Warbird

Personally, I wish they'd stop playing up Alaska to the general public.  Lots of city folks see pretty pictures and move up here in July.  Then when the cold and darkness hit, they get depressed, become a leech on society, and make life a PITA for everyone around them.

Haven't seen the show.  We only have broadcast TV and don't even watch much of that.

Magicman

Really Warbird, it's just a show and is much as you describe, but to me, entertaining.  Even though Sarah finally shot a cow caribou with another rifle, it showed that she is inexperienced with handling a rifle and hunting.

We talked to a married couple operating a store that said they stayed one Winter.  Never again.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Qweaver

Quote from: Magicman on December 06, 2010, 08:02:30 AM
Really Warbird, it's just a show and is much as you describe, but to me, entertaining.  Even though Sarah finally shot a cow caribou with another rifle, it showed that she is inexperienced with handling a rifle and hunting.

I have a Winchester 243 varminter that would shoot a dime group at 100 yards on a load I worked up.  One day that just changed to a 4" group for no apparent reason.  Turned out to be something loose in the scope.  When Sarah's Dad fired the gun after the hunt he could not hit the target either.  I think that her being able to drop the game with one shot after changing guns makes a good point.  She seems to be fairly field wise to me and her dad claims that she is a good shot. 
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Magicman

Right, but after each of the first couple of shots, her dad reached over and cycled the bolt for her.  The one time that she actually cycled it, she was cumbersome doing so, not smooth.  I didn't say that she couldn't shoot or wasn't a good shot, just that "it showed that she is inexperienced with handling a rifle and hunting".

I guess that I'm comparing her to the way that the Magicwoman shoots and handles a rifle.   :o

Warbird

My comments weren't directed at anyone here, MM.  Apologies if it came across wrong.  I get annoyed that there isn't enough 'reality' in reality TV.  Especially when it involves the place I call home.  :) 

Magicman

I agree with you Warbird.  The Logging , Trucking, Crabbing, Survivor, as well as this is for entertainment (read money) purposes only.  I watch them, enjoy them, and also laugh at them when their "reality" becomes unreal.  Kinda like when Ted Nugent grabbed a chainsaw with a 3 foot bar to cut a 6" tree.  Grandstanding.  He let it kick back and had to make a trip to the ER to get sewed up.

fishpharmer

I take it for what it is, Entertainment.  I like the show.  Just the fact she gets out and hunts and fishes at all makes me a fan.  Can't help the idiots that move to Alaska because they love the summer scenery.  Although, seems like there is room for all. 8)

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Autocar

Ive watched it a few times,anymore I don't believe any thing the news tells me and I believe about half of what I see. My wife says I have a bad attitude but its pretty sad when our goverment and about anyone in higher power will feed you a bunch of bull to fill there or friends pockets with money from hard working folks
Bill

Jeff

Political remarks are not welcome on this board.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Raider Bill

I like it! 

I'm in the process of planning a bike trip to Alaska maybe this summer I hope. It's always been a dream. Can't find anyone to make the ride from here with me....yet.
I'm looking forward to being a tourist but don't plan on me staying for a winter.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

SwampDonkey

It all depends on the individual, concerning making the move up there or the Yukon or other Canadian territories. I've read books on the Hudson's Bay Company, and that goes way back. There were many accounts of folks in written journals stating that they would rather live in no other place but the far north. ;)

I'm half way there. From where, I don't know :D  But, I won't be moving. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Slabs

Quote from: Raider Bill on December 06, 2010, 04:14:04 PM
I like it! 

I'm in the process of planning a bike trip to Alaska maybe this summer I hope. It's always been a dream. Can't find anyone to make the ride from here with me....yet.
I'm looking forward to being a tourist but don't plan on me staying for a winter.

Maybe you could get Avery to sit behind you and rope a moose.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Raider Bill

Quote from: Slabs on December 06, 2010, 04:25:14 PM
I like it! 

Maybe you could get Avery to sit behind you and rope a moose.

What's she look like? I have a passenger weight limit on my Harley :D :D

fishpharmer

Warbird

You are welcome at our place, Bill.  Let us know how things pan out.

Raider Bill

I tend to shy away from husbands with guns. ;D ;D

She'd sure look good on my HD though......

Warbird,  Thank you Anchorage is on the list!

Warbird

I hope Fairbanks is too, seeing as that is where I live.  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!