iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Has anyone watched TLC's Sara Palin's Alaska?

Started by fishpharmer, December 05, 2010, 09:40:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Holy Smokes, Warbird!?!

I didn't know you were north of the North Pole.  Getting to College from there must be almost impossible.  :D

Busy Beaver Lumber

Magicman

You say that Magicwoman is a real good shot? You may want to keep that though in mind the next time you break on of her treasured tea pots.

No wonder you were so quick to go on ebay and flustered enough to buy two of them right away.

My wife does not know a 22 caliber from a 20 guage shotgun, so I would have at least had a few days to go and replace the tea pot :D
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Magicman

Yup, I was with her when she got this B&C Mule deer.  She has gotten several other mule deer, antelope, numerous whitetails and gobblers.

192 2/8 B&C Mule Deer.  Yup, she can shoot.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

H60 Hawk Pilot

Hey if Raider Bill want's me to set behind him and rope a moose, I up to it.  I have a few condition's, full Blue Cross & Blue Shield.. paid up front.  The last time I did this was in the 60's. Me and my friend Roy got all we wanted from the old doe we roped & beating us up while tied off to front end of 1947 HD.

Now, since I'm wiser & older, I'd like the moose to be darted first. Also, I'd like my seat fitted with a zero-zero injection seat.  I don't heal up like I use to and don't like to experience pain (any more).  If the drugged up moose becomes un-ruley... I'm punching out of there in the injection seat. You can have all the pain & fun and the bragging right's of capturing the moose (nearly) single handed (so-to-speak). Also, get the biggest bike you can. The moose may drag it away and I'm not sure your insurance will cover this type of loss... just... lot's of smiles  :D .

I like  Sara but think that she's stagging herself too much and that's part of being in the lime light; for me... just... a little too much for my particular taste in people (be for real (people). Also, working the bolt as you (by dad) shoot, ain't my style either, must be a TV show and intertainment.  

Avery

(Penna. HD Deer Roper Champ in 1963)

Case 1150B & IHC TD-340 Dozer's, IHC 4WD 3800 & CAT 436B Hoe's, Franklin 170, Semi's: (1) Freightliner, (2) KW's, Marmon, Mack w/ Prentice Ldr., F-700 Crane Trk., (6) Mid Size Trk's. - Dumps, Flats, 1 Ton w/ 40 ft. 5th Whl. & (4) Semi Tlr's., LM 2000 Mill, (2) XL 12's., Solo 681, EFCO 152, Old Iron.

Busy Beaver Lumber

Magicman

Pardon my ignorance, but why do they call that a mule deer. Guess you can see how much I know about hunting. I am just a big time target shooter
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Magicman

Just a different species from Whitetails.  I've read they named them that because they have big ears.  Note that the antler tines normally branch instead of being individual off of the main beams.

I'll still be watching and enjoying Sarah's Alaska.  I also watched "Ice Road Truckers".  I never saw the "Haul Road" in the Winter, but I have traveled part of it.

My dream is to go back to Alaska and get my coffee.  I have a friend in Fairbanks that owes me a cup.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Warbird

You know you have a place to stay when you get here.  I'm trying to get the back bedrooms remodel project completed but even if it isn't done, we can put out an air mattress.

Tom

Mule deer are a cross between a White Tail and a Clydesdale.  Some get antlers and the others get a big wagon hooked to them.  ;D

Raider Bill

Quote from: Warbird on December 06, 2010, 06:07:53 PM
I hope Fairbanks is too, seeing as that is where I live.  ;D

Dang it , I was thinking Fairbanks and typed Anchorage. Yes Fairbanks is on the list. My mission is the Arctic Circle.

Oh that Avery................... 
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Magicman

Quote from: Raider Bill on December 07, 2010, 08:20:11 AMMy mission is the Arctic Circle. 

It will look very similar to this.

The Magicman and Magicwoman watched the "sun not set" on June 22, 1997.

Chuck White

Back in 1988, while stationed with the USAF at Elmendorf AFB in Anchorage, I had the opportunity to go further North for a moose hunt!

We flew out of Elmendorf to Galena, near the Yukon river and we traveled by boat, about 25 miles down the Yukon to the Koyukuk river and headed North.  We ended up about 20-30 miles inside the Arctic Circle.

It's a whole different world there.  Lots of the same kind of scenery as in Sarah's show.

Oh, we did get a moose.  A 54" bull.

Family and finances brought me back home to NY, but I would love to have stayed there.  AKA between a rock and a hard place.

I think Sarah's show just brings out the point that she's just "regular people" too.  Love the show.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Quote from: Chuck White on December 07, 2010, 09:53:33 AM
I think Sarah's show just brings out the point that she's just "regular people" too.  Love the show.

Well said Chuck.   :)

Raider Bill

Quote from: Magicman on December 07, 2010, 08:40:07 AM
Quote from: Raider Bill on December 07, 2010, 08:20:11 AMMy mission is the Arctic Circle. 

It will look very similar to this.

The Magicman and Magicwoman watched the "sun not set" on June 22, 1997.

Yep that's the sign I'm shooting for!

sandhills

Quote from: Tom on December 06, 2010, 10:41:53 PM
Mule deer are a cross between a White Tail and a Clydesdale.  Some get antlers and the others get a big wagon hooked to them.  ;D
:D :D :D :D

Brad_bb

Yeah MM, I like Sara, but I did catch that part where her dad cycled her bolt.  I went "huuuuh?"  I'm a shooter, but not a hunter myself, but even I know that before you go hunting, you sight in your rifle and do some practice to be familiar with your gun before you go.  I'd be offended if someone touched my bolt while I was shooting.  I know how that sounds.  No bad jokes please, even though I've set it up.

If you saw it was shooting high, then it's time to decide not to shoot, or to use some Kentucky windage.  I'd have stopped earlier with that first rifle and switched to the other sooner.  Though my adrenaline is not flowing now as I'm sure theirs was in the heat of the moment.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Tom

It used to be common practice, at the range, for the instructor to work the bolt, or at least hand you the next round.   It was a safety procedure to insure that all of the rifles on the firing line were unloaded and loaded at the same time.  Perhaps her Dad was old school, or perhaps he was just wanting to be a Dad and take part in his daughter's activities. 

I'm a Dad and I get a good feeling when I'm close to my sons.

Don't read too much politics into her family.  :)

H60 Hawk Pilot

If You Hunt for Real and Want 1st Round Kills, I'd Recommend the Following to Sara and the Like.

Sight in your Gun and Zero to the Range that You expect to hunt, for brush area >> 75 yards, open & brush/ combo > 125 yards and open for long shot's at 500 yards >>  200 yards.

If you pack a 2nd gun, verify it too, things happen and scopes & guns get dropped in the field and it happen's with ruff treatment through the airlines (even in the case).

Use the same ammo that you sighted in with, the same grain weight. Treat the ammo kindly as well. The pointed tips can get damaged by miss handing them and back & forth out of the gun (unloading).

If you travel to hunt and you have the chance, test fire a couple shots but not at the hunting site... unless you have a gun that has been dropped, etc. . Your choice of scopes is important and cheap scopes do not hold up to a >> Big Mag's. Recoil. They tend to lose their zero over time. This will not be a factor if you do not shoot the mag. that much. Temperature change is a problem, or can be.  Let's say that you sighted in at  70 degree's and now it's 32 degree's. Barrel's that are free floated or composite stocks do not suffer (barrel push) from a noticeable temperature change like older stocked rifles. Some guns shoot well with a cold barrel (as zero'd) and then whatever with a hot barrel (5 or 6 shots later).

Your close shots of hundred yards have a decent margin in being a little off and still hitting the target. Shooting at long range, say 500 yards or more is another deal and 1/2 inch off at 100 is about 4 inches off at five hundred.  

Lot''s more but enough to be brain dangerous on sighting in your cannon and factor's in play to keep & hold your zero.

Case 1150B & IHC TD-340 Dozer's, IHC 4WD 3800 & CAT 436B Hoe's, Franklin 170, Semi's: (1) Freightliner, (2) KW's, Marmon, Mack w/ Prentice Ldr., F-700 Crane Trk., (6) Mid Size Trk's. - Dumps, Flats, 1 Ton w/ 40 ft. 5th Whl. & (4) Semi Tlr's., LM 2000 Mill, (2) XL 12's., Solo 681, EFCO 152, Old Iron.

Jeff

::)

Stuff happens. Scopes get bumped and you don't know it until its to late.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Raider Bill

Quote from: Jeff on December 07, 2010, 03:00:30 PM
::)

Stuff happens. Scopes get bumped and you don't know it until its to late.

Yep "stuff" happens

Tom

H60 Hawk Pilot

My Weapon of Choice.

A CAR 15 with 203 Sys. on the bottom. The Long Version is M-16 with collapsible stock and M-79 Grenade Launcher attached on the bottom of M-16. I don't remember the correct Military Model number for this set up. It's a real nice combo when shot in close quarters from a helicopter.  I had a AK 50 (folding stock version of AK 47) for a while in Vietnam. One of my friend's showed me his CAR 15/203 setup. I traded my AK 50 for the 15/ 203 and it was the best weapon I ever had. The Shot Round, High Explosive, Willy Pete and Smoke were the four rounds I remember. Also, we shot from the (not a lot of room for long rifles) doors of the helicopter and used the gun fighter technique (point & shoot) for close in targets. We had quite a few Pop Up Targets. The bad guys would nail you from spitting distance. They'd wait, pop up, nail you for two or three seconds (one magazine of 30 rounds) and disappear. The NVA/ VC were very cleaver and a deadly little dudes to deal with on a day to day basis. When you were in Bad Guy Territory.. you had to be ready to rock & roll; just like bird hunting with very fast reaction time and to get on target too.

What brought all this to mind was  Tom's Comment, "You Dont' Need a Scope on a Shot Gun ! "  I'd say that a Shot Gun at the  OK Corral  is the No# 1 Weapon of Choice.

Raider Bill

There was a video clip on the web back a couple years showing Sarah at a Alaska National Guard rifle range shooting a M-16 while she was Gov. I guess as the Gov she was in charge.

All things considered, this show is pretty good. I wouldn't be watching it if she lived in NYC though.

fishpharmer

Quote from: Raider Bill on December 07, 2010, 08:41:33 PM
All things considered, this show is pretty good. I wouldn't be watching it if she lived in NYC though.

:D :D :D

I wouldn't want her shooting at me with any rifle no matter who is working her bolt. ;)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Tom

I've only had the pleasure of seeing one of the shows, the one of her fishing for Halibut.  I was really enjoying it, but it interferes with my wife's idea of entertainment.  I'm hoping to get it when it comes out on DVD.  :D

She is certainly one pretty and savvy lady though. I'm impressed with her and her family, regardless of what the news media tries to make of her.

easymoney

yep she is one pretty little gal. i had rather look at her any day than to look at obama.

Thank You Sponsors!