iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

mini logging museum

Started by loggah, January 10, 2013, 07:36:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loggah

The John Deere one silver with mother of pearl is from the late 1870's early1880's.  the 2 wagon makers from the 1880,s 1890,s.the 3rd one from the right is made of wood,brotherhood of engravers 1902.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

isawlogs

What where those used for ???   :-\
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

stamper

Nice collection, Thanks for sharing the log hauler story also.  Equipment goes from everyday use, to replaced, but still common to see around, to almost extinct.  Cable log loaders are a good example of that also.
If you don't run, you rust.
-Tom Petty

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: isawlogs on January 12, 2013, 09:56:26 PM
What where those used for ???   :-\

Attach them to a pocket watch. Put the pocket watch in your pocket and to get it out, just pull the watch fob.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

isawlogs

Thanks Doc  Poston, quite the collection og um.   :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Roxie

My grandfather carried a pocket watch with a plain chain fob.  We would always pester him to tell us what time it was, just to see him get the watch out and flip it open. 
Say when

thecfarm

Why were thay called watch fobs? Fobs seems to be an odd word.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

It is thought to come from a German word meaning pocket.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

That would make since,due to the odd spelling.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

loggah

Sounds good to me !!!!! ;D I know about up to 1970 they were fairly common,equipment dealers gave them out to operators, I have Case,Timberjack,John Deere, Cat fobs that are skidders, and all sorts of other heavy equipment fobs, Just like all the old Belt buckles ,of heavy ,logging equipment. Theres a bunch of buckles  in this cabinet. Don

Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

loggah

JohnM

Hey, wait a minute!  I know what's going on here, this is all from Ben Stiller's new movie "Night at the Logging Museum"!  You can't fool me, Mr. Stiller! smiley_dunce

jk ;D  That is some really neat stuff.  I have a rolltop desk just like that one of yours that was my grandfathers.  He was an accountant for 50yrs in Portland, ME, got to keep the desk when they got new ones.  Not sure what year that was but I'm willing to bet those 'new' ones are antiques now too. ;) :D

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

woodandtractors

Don-I had no idea how much stuff you have gathered up! Did you get some of your lumber for that building from Ireland lumber,or saw it out on your Belsaw? I'd like to look through your museum sometime when I have enough gas money to make the trip.
Mike
Still plays with tractors-IH of course!

loggah

All the rough sawn came from you guys !!! your "ERR'  nephew delivered it ,and i did pay him!!!  ya its such a long ride you may have to pack a lunch !! ;D ;D

woodandtractors

I guess I could eat at Exit 28 Pizza,see some of your stuff and still get home by dark.
Mike
Still plays with tractors-IH of course!

loggah

Well  Cheryl took a few pictures of the larger posters i have on the walls, One of them is a map of Paul Bunyans exploits,it specifically says he was born in Maine !!!! ;D ;D If it was printed in Maine i doubt i would believe it ,them Mainers been known to tell whoppers !!! But since it was printed in upper midwest i have to believe it !!!!! ;D ;D ;D The original poster is about 2' x3' i was hoping you guys could read it but it dont look like you can.

loggah

Heres a Remington Bulletknife poster done in the 1990,s The lumberjack knife, nice picture has a Shay locomotive in it. The Shay is gear driven all wheel drive,and invented by Ephriam Shay a Michigan lumberman.

loggah

Heres a early Caterpillar advertising poster from  about 1930,its about 1' x4' , and in the far right is a Cat 60 pulling a tracked logging arch with a turn of logs.

loggah

Heres the last one, WW2 vintage,its pretty self explanatory!!

Jeff

I particularly like the Bullet Poster. We don't have room at this point to display all of the things we've collected, but the Bulletknife poster is one of the things we do have out in our living room. :)

Okrafarmer

Quote from: loggah on January 12, 2013, 08:26:46 AM
Heres another picture of something you dont see anymore,watchfobs.

I have one-- it says International Harvester Trac-Tractor, and shows what I think is a TD-18. It passed down to me from my great-grandfather, and no it is not for sale. (I'm not even sure where it is, though I have a suspishy).
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

loggah

Jeff,The bulletknife poster is a nice one ,real colorful , i just looked on E-bay and they actually have a few lumberjack bulletknives on auction, i think the posters are more rare then the knives. Okra, i have a bunch of the international watchfobs,Td-18,Td-24s .

Jeff

I think you are right. The posters are getting to be quite rare. I got mine just after issue.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: loggah on January 21, 2013, 09:02:22 PM
Okra, i have a bunch of the international watchfobs,Td-18,Td-24s .

I guess I'm not special then!  ;D

Anybody know what those watch fobs typically sell for these days? I don't just mean the one I have, but fobs in general, or by type or whatever.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

loggah

The prices are all over the place,according to rarity. I would think the international TD tractors $20-$40 depending on condition. Some of them got worn  quite a bit from use. Oh ya special allright!!! a dislocated Mainiac!!! ;D ;D

Thank You Sponsors!