iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dish or Direct?? Decision Made.

Started by Magicman, February 05, 2014, 08:35:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

We currently have Cable One and are investigating whether to change.  I am not a gung-ho TV watcher, but some outdoor/sportsmen channels would be nice.  To get them on the cable that we have there is a huge price jump.   :-\

I looked at the two satellite providers on the internet and I think that I am going in circles.   smiley_dizzy

Anyway, pro's and con's.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

At least you can get cable. If we could do a "bundle" we could save some money. We had Dish,went to Direct because the land line phone company is somehow with Direct. Only reason we changed. I hate satalite. I don't watch much TV,but when I watch it,there is something on I want to watch. Than a storm cloud between my TV and the satalite and my TV starts searching for a signal.  ::) I use to have cable in my other house, always worked. Lots of commerical about getting refered and they-you can save money?
We don't notice a differance between the two. But we don't have the sports and spotsman shows.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

pabst79

The upside is that sat t.v offers more channels then anyone needs, the downside is that they keep jacking up the costs every 6 months, we have DISH, used to have Direct and it seems like they have figured out that if I only like and watch 5 channels, they put them in a upper tier package so it costs twice as much as I'd like! I wish I never had it, that way I wouldn't know what I was missing.  >:(
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

We had Direct......hated it.

Now we have Comporium Cable based in our hometown.

Cable is not the same every where. We had cable with DVR where we could record 2 shows at once. If you recorded on 1 box, you had to watch your recording on that box.
Then out Cable company came up with another package which is actually cheaper......its the Moxie System.
We can record 6 shows at once and watch the recording on any other box,  I have an app on my phone to where I can control all recordings from any where.
Now, I just waiting on the wireless cable boxes. Those will be cool.

The main thing I like is, I get a ton of HD Channels with cable.

sprucebunny

I have Direct TV. We got a $6/month discount from Fairpoint.
Now, Direct Tv charges us $6 for having a TV connected...not the second TV..that's another $6.. for having the first TV connected.

I asked them if a lot of people wanted to pay $68.99 a month and not connect any TV...
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: sprucebunny on February 05, 2014, 08:57:34 PM
Now, Direct Tv charges us $6 for having a TV connected...not the second TV..that's another $6.. for having the first TV connected.

I asked them if a lot of people wanted to pay $68.99 a month and not connect any TV...

Do you get the Squirrel Channel?  ;D

sprucebunny

The Rodent Survivor show ???

They get thrown out the doors and windows til only one is left ?

And he gets shot  :D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

luvmexfood

Quote from: sprucebunny on February 05, 2014, 08:57:34 PM

That's too funny. I have DISH and have had it for probably 15 years. Cable is not available in our area. Cannot get a cellphone signal either. Can get texts but not voice. Seems like for the last month or so the pipeline that brings in the sun has not been working to well either.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Corley5

We've had Dish for a long time.  Did Direct re-instate The Weather Channel?
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

beenthere

Quotebut some outdoor/sportsmen channels would be nice. 

Both Dish and Directv (I have the latter) throw the Outdoor channels in the high price bracket, just under the one with all the movies of every description.

Have been going around and around in my head trying to figure out if switching to Dish is any cheaper than Directv. Maybe a bit for the first year when the promotion is in effect.

Dish has a grouping called America's Top 250 which includes the Outdoor channels... $75/mo.
Add the phone package another $20, Turbo (high speed internet) for $37, and the wireless Modem $5
plus an extra TV for $7.  Add the Fed taxes and the total is $150 before local taxes.  For a year or two, there is a discount for switching of about $37 a month, which ain't hay either. Add $20 for DVR service.

Way too much money for the benefit. But need to figure in the better half and what she enjoys too. While in her sewing room, the TV is on. She even watch's the news which I NEVER do. I glean all I need/want off the net.

The last I looked, The Weather Channel was on the Directv.
But I get weather off the NOAA for local and national updates.

MM, wish you good luck with your decision. I have no complaints of our Directv for the 10 or more years we have had it, other than it too is expensive.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

BBTom

If you are getting your internet thru your cable, you are lucky.  Dish and Directv don't provide internet.  Dish can for about $60/mo, but it is not as fast as cable internet. Satellite based internet has delays when loading pages and doesn't work well for Skype or Internet phone or gaming.  Dsl on the phone line is ok, but mine is rather slow (400k) compared to most cable (1.5-3m). 

I am very happy with my dish tv.  we get the 250 package and I can normally find something of interest to watch. 

Good luck, MM, hope you can find something that suits you.
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

Corley5

Direct had a dispute with TWC and it was dropped from there offerings.  Haven't heard that it was put back in.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Magicman

My internet is through my landline telephone service and no complaints.  I am ½ mile out of reach for AT&T uverse.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Gary_C

I have had Direct for a few years and have considered switching to Dish but it's hard to find a difference. Direct periodically raises their rates and then I complain and they give me some discounts for a year or so and I'm still there. But you have to watch your bill every month for changes.

My internet now comes from Hughes Net after Verizon abruptly dropped our broadband service.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Bill Gaiche

I have direct, Have had both at different times. Direct gave me a better deal the last time and the people I spoke with spoke the same language as me which helps to understand what you are getting into. They can give you a pretty decent deal or contract if you deal real hard with them. They are still to expensive. Just try and figure out what you really watch and see what they will do for you. You pay way more for what you get than what you really need. Remind them that they are not the only fish in the barrel. New customers usually get better deals to start off with. When your contract runs out tell them you need a better deal They can and sometime give a little break on price. They did for me the last time my contract ran out. They don't want you to switch. They have dropped the weather channel. Its called Weather Nation now on the same channel. Good luck MM, I don't envy your shopping for a better deal. bg
  luvmexfood, try a cell phone booster. I have a Wilson and has given me the ability to use my cell anytime now.

Holmes

I've had Dish for 8 years now, Americas top 200 $65 a month plus $7 for additional receiver.  I have no complaints except the $.  I also have internet thru the phone line, dsl? and that works fine also.
Think like a farmer.

LeeB

We have tried both and have DirecTV now. Have been DTV for years before moving to AR and decided to try Dish. We weren't happy with Dish at all and switched back to DirecTV. I have no idea what we pay. I put the money in the bank, Lindy takes care of keeping the economy alive.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Holmes

They usually offer free install for a 2 year commitment to new customers.  I was thinking of switching and getting new equipment.  I believe it is what we get used to is what makes one stay with the product.
Think like a farmer.

LeeB

You may be able to get new by threatening to switch. They really will do things to keep you there if you get vocal enough.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Chuck White

I don't think it matters much, the company you go with!

IMHO, you'll get a zillion channels and end up only watching 8 - 10 different ones, so you're paying quite a bit for stuff you're not interested in!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

MattJ

I have Dish and haven't had any issues with clouds bothering the signal except during a Hurricane!  I have the more basic 120 channel plan but Dish allows you to add sportsman/outdoor and some other misc hunting fishing channels for around $2 a month for all of them.  Not too bad.  They call it something like the outdoor package.

drobertson

We have dish, know many that have direct, not sure the pro's or cons between the two, It's a luxury, and the cost does increase over time,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

blackfoot griz

We had direct for years.  They came out with a special package for new customers.  I called and said I would like that new package. They refused saying it was only for new customers so... I switched to Dish.

Since I switched to Dish, we get all kinds of "we want you back" letters, emails and phone calls from Direct.

I had no technical problems with Direct and a lot with Dish.

ely

we have direct now and I had it down to 62 bucks a month for the basic package, no movie channels anyway. I get 600 some odd channels on my guide but most do not work, why are they on there? now the went to 82 bucks, we called and the brought it down to 72 bucks, I said I will cancel if that all they can do, they told me that was my decision and they would respect it... I am still there for now, I guess all I wanted was a little respect.

LaneC

I am with chuck white. I dont think it matters much. Personally we have had direct tv for about 18 years. We had them knock the bill down and I am ok with it again. I dont watch much but wife does.
Man makes plans and God smiles

red oaks lumber

only in america.. you pay to watch t.v. and mostly its commercials. been trying for years to convince my wife to drop t.v all toghether but, she insists on back ground noise. i told her if its background noise your after lets have your mother move in :D
good luck on your choice
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Mooseherder

A local talk radio show had discussion this morning on a growing number of people moving to Digital rabbit ears and away from traditional cable services.  Couple that with streaming media available and you get to watch most everything you want.  They said it averages 200 thousand customers per month and grew to 400 thousand last month.
ESPN by itself adds 5 dollars to the Bill every month.  I never watch ESPN although it's said to have the #1 spot for viewership.  Fox news came in #2 for viewership.
We threatened to leave AT&T uverse because the bill was too high for watching a handful of channels.  They knock 50 dollars per month off your bill if you have everything bundled up for a year.  It's worth the call.  They don't want to lose you back to cable.  That's where we used to be.  It was horrible compared to AT&T.  Most everything we watch is DVR'd.  Life is too short for pill commercials.

ancjr

Parents had Dish for a few years, in a couple different houses.  Friends had DirecTV.  Seems to be a lot of difference in the local installers.  So much so, I'd say that's going to be the make or break between the two.

pappy19

IMHO there is a difference between Dish and Direct TV and I have had both. The new Direct TV setup is far better than the latest Dish and, the Direct company is way better to deal with if you ever do have an issue. That being said, either one is a ton better than Comcast.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

21incher

I have been looking for a big old C band dish that someone wants to get rid of and http://www.skyvision.com/ has receivers that allow you to choose your programing at a much lower cost then Dish or Direct TV. When Direct TV first came out I bought the first receiver they sold for $800.00 and had account #000001 for my area. Back then it sucked before they implemented mpeg-2. but I put up with it for many years.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

RynSmith

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is line of sight - we called Dish first (never had either before) and when their guy came out he found out that we didn't have a view of their satellite.  Not so with DirecTV so we've been scalped by them ever since. ::)

r.man

Red Oaks, if only they made some free audio only product that would be background noise for your wife.....oh yeah radio. I know a lot of people who leave the radio on all the time for the companionship. I was amazed when people in my area started paying for tv. I predicted to anyone who would listen that it wouldn't take off. Unfortunately I am 30 years behind the times and one of the few people who do not have satellite tv. Until recently I got 4 to 5 channels on an aerial and then 1 because of digital and then none. I now have a digital compatible tv but haven't bothered hooking it back up.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

SliverPicker

My vote would be for Neither.  Think of the money you'd save and the time that you could put to constructive use.  I dumped my TV in '87.  I have never missed it!  My 2¢ worth.
Yooper by trade.

luvmexfood

Quote from: blackfoot griz on February 06, 2014, 08:45:17 AM
We had direct for years.  They came out with a special package for new customers.  I called and said I would like that new package. They refused saying it was only for new customers so... I switched to Dish.

Since I switched to Dish, we get all kinds of "we want you back" letters, emails and phone calls from Direct.

I had no technical problems with Direct and a lot with Dish.

Yep. That sort of irks me too. Had the same thing happen with AT&T many years ago. Had been a faithful and loyal customer for over 10 years with their long distance service.  They came out with a program for people who would switch from another carrier. Called them and asked for that rate. Could not get it because it was only for "new customers". Told them had been a loyal customer for over 10 years and some "johnny come lately" gets a better rate than me. Ditched them. Now I think more companies have flexibility in their rate structure.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Mooseherder

When I got home tonight there was a 20 dollar gift card from ATT thanking us for being loyal customers.

DanG

Lynn, if you go with Dish, let another Dish customer refer you.  That way each of you gets a $50 credit on your bill. I'll be glad to help you out on that if nobody else does.  ;) ;D

What I don't like about Satellite or cable is that I miss out on a lot of local channels.  I'm stuck with Dish for 2 years but thinking of putting up an antenna also.  When they went digital on broadcast tv, we gained a whole bunch of channels and actually found more watchable programs than we find on Dish.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Magicman

Thanks everyone for your input.

And thanks DanG.  If I do, I will.  Our Son has Direct and they may also have an incentive. 

We have an antenna and booster at the Cabin and easily pick up all 4 networks plus PBS, and the "free" price ain't bad.

POC

I had Direct for years, then the new wife wanted to get Glen Beck, Blaze TV is only available through Dish.  So, if you want to get The Blaze, go with Dish.
That's all I got....
And that's all I have to say about that,
Patrick

reswire

The better business bureau gives Direct tv a F-, and Dish a B-.  Direct TV is also being sued by several states because of their business practices.  I switched from Direct tv to Dish because of the terrible service Direct TV provided me.  The bill was always different, and the people who worked for them were nice, but didn't have a clue of what they were doing.  I like Dish 10x more than Direct. 
Just my 2cents worth.
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

beenthere

I've heard stories about Directv, but have never had bad service from them.
No problem reaching/seeing their satellite, but would have concern about switching to Dish.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pappy19

Funny, I had the same problem with Dish, they wouldn't help me with my complaints and their upgrades weren't nearly as good as Direct, so I switched to Direct and couldn't be happier. As far as local TV stations are concerned, both companies have local stations available. They both have incentives if you switch and refer to another user, just have their account number. Direct gives $10 off both the new user and ther referer for every referal. I guess it's sorta like owning a Chebby or a Ford with a Dodge mixed in, it's whatever you like and I like Direct over Dish.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Wick

I have had Direct for @ 14 yrs. Very few problems in that time.
In my area there seems to be a good ratio of Dish/Direct. From what I here both are fine.
I have been thinking about switching and taking advantage of the promotional deals as well.
I could upgrade my equipment, get HD, and a DVR recorder and pay alot less money for a years time.
Haven't pulled the trigger yet.
Timber Harvester 30HT25

Magicman

As of right now it appears that the cable company wants me to stay with them.  We shall see.   :)

SwampDonkey

The best satellite service was C-band, could pick and pay for only what you wanted and was very cheap. There were lots of free channels to. When that all ended I never bothered with digital satellite, nothing on it much and too many repeated channels here in Canada. Now CBC analog turned digital, and no new tower, so that is no longer available. Don't miss it, it's government run and not much of anything worthy on it. I have the good old rabbit ears and get 6 channels including local weather. Most of the time if I watch TV it's a DVD and much time is spent on the forestry forum and a couple other special interest forums, way better than any TV. When I run out of forum stuff to entertain myself, I have lots of hobbies or it's time to have a sleep or eat something. :D There is just a lot of 'stuff' on those pay TV services now that bore me too death. Can't get into it at all.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

I can't remember a time when there was so many interesting shows and programming as there is right now. :)
My DVR is getting a workout.

SwampDonkey

Everyone has their own tastes.  A lot of new stuff is just reincarnated and copied off more successful old stuff. Then there's the reality stuff I can't stand. I'd rather watch cold molasses run out from the jug. So again everyone has their own tastes. :D ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

I have very little patience with TV programming, but I think that I would enjoy some Outdoor/Sportsman channels.

fat olde elf

Just had to jump in here.....We went with  TW cable 16 years ago. Cost us $300 to get it on our property. Stayed with it for 6 years. Lots of down time especially when raining hard and windy. Got direct TV and have had excellent service.  Today we had  no signal. I checked the dish and it was covered with ice and snow. DUH !  My wife called me stupid for getting the big ladder out and crawling up....HOWEVER 2 swipes with the broom and shazam !! We have every possible gadget for electronic communication on 4 tvs,2 pcs, Ruko, Wifi,Kindle fire, 2 cell phones, land line with 5 sets, Net flix, ad infitum...Bonnie just celebrated her 78th birthday last week and she pays all the bills. Don' tell me you can't teach two old dogs new tricks. Can't wait to see what is next......Say your prayers.     
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Qweaver

I have Direct, my daughter had Dish and she says Direct is better.  Both are too dang expensive but I like the sports coverage so I pay the bill.  I really like the ability to record programs and replay when I like and fast forward  thru the commercials.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

johnjbc

I have direct and it works fine. If you loose signal every time you have a storm you need to check the alignment of your dish or trim some trees. If you check signal strength in your Receiver it should be better than 90%. It will work down to about 70% when there are no heavy clouds. I could save some money by changing to cable but then I couldn't take my Receiver to camp
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

Magicman

We decided on neither.  We made a trip to the Cable One office today and they fixed us up with two boxes that will allow us to reach the additional channels.  It was a simple "plug & play" installation  :)  Total cost was an additional $15 per month for the boxes and channel package.

John R

Quote from: Magicman on February 05, 2014, 10:10:11 PM
My internet is through my landline telephone service and no complaints.  I am ½ mile out of reach for AT&T uverse.

TWC is not on Directv, I'm looking into a change to Dish from Directv.
Directv just keeps upping the cost, and you get nothing for it.
Called them today about maybe getting a little better deal, no dice.
I pay almost $100 a month for just basic, I think that's way too high for TV. 
John

Sthil MS 361 20" Bar
Sthil MS 260 PRO 16" Bar
Oregon 511 AX Chain Grinder

Holmes

Since I last posted on this thread  Feb. 5  dish went up from $65 to $67 to $69 and added more taxes.  :(
Think like a farmer.

petefrom bearswamp

My dish just went up 5 a month.
We are at 80 plus or minus now.
I have been with them since 1994.
MY DIL calls and gets them to forego the increase but I just keep putting off calling.
Snow does get on the dish, (it is on my roof) but I just spray it with water from the hose to get the snow off.
Cloud cover never seems to bother
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Holmes on February 21, 2014, 05:06:40 PM
Since I last posted on this thread  Feb. 5  dish went up from $65 to $67 to $69 and added more taxes.  :(

Stop posting and maybe it'll go down.  :D :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!