iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saw does not draw itselt into cut

Started by mpuste, June 28, 2010, 01:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

I haven't taken my chain to a shop for grinding in a couple of years, but I have to admit, it was handy when I was first learning how to hand sharpen. I'd talk to the guy as he was grinding it, and see how far off my angles had gotten.

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

HOOF-ER

Just was reading this thread. There was no mention of making sure the bar is square and true, or excessive wear. Can't this cause a problem with the  cutting?  Just trying to learn,want your opinions.

Grinding can be a disaster. Went through all the chains we have on the trucks (aprox 60 chains) found some chains that the teeth were almost twice the amount of the opp. side. How could someone screw them up that badly?
Home built swing mill, 27hp Kawasaki

Al_Smith

Well yes a bent bar or worn down rails will make a saw do funny things alright .Like cut in a circle which can be rather frustrating to say the least .Really frustrating if they are so bad they bind in a 10" round . Believe it or not I've seen them that bad .

Screwed up chains like described are a product of either a sloppy chain grinder or one with no experiance and should most likely seek another line of work .

GASoline71

Quote from: Al_Smith on July 07, 2010, 07:44:36 PM
Now maybe if you were a western faller on the slopes of Washington state or Idaho and using square ground chain that might be a valid reason for  grinder .Round ground any thing, chisel, semi chisel, chipper file real easily . No need for a grinder but you have to learn to file and the only way that will ever happen is to do it ,so get with it . 8)

I resemble that remark Al... :)  I have yet to drop off a chain to be sharpened at a saw shop.  Not that I'm all that when it comes to hand filing... but I just like to sharpen my own chains.   ;D

Gary
\"...if ya mess with the bull... ya gets the horn.\"

Al_Smith

That's what I'm saying .Hand filing is not the big deal some might think it is .

Now filing a race chain is a big deal but a standard work chain anybody can do or should be able to .

I think most people get discouraged because they run the chain entirely too dull before they file it .If the chain gets rounded over corners and is just pulling dust instead of chips it takes a bit of effort to bring it back .

On the other hand it takes very little to maintain a good chain if the filing is done in a timely manner in the first place before it ever gets that bad . I learned a long time ago that if you "kiss" the dirt you'd just as well get the file out right then and there and get on with it .

In spite of some things people might say there are things you will eventually do with a saw given enough time .Put oil in the gas tank,put a chain on backwards and "kiss" the dirt .  I'm guilty of all three . Oh ,plus hang a saw in a cut .

beenthere

That was well said Al. Just the way I've had it figured out, anyway.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!