iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logging is Misunderstood by Foresters

Started by ppine, October 07, 2018, 11:40:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BaldBob

One thing to keep in mind - If the forester is working for the landowner, his/her job is to manage the forest in a way that meets the landowner's objectives. Those objectives are not necessarily to maximize timber production or even monetary return. The forester needs to accurately communicate to the logger what is expected before the job is bid. The logger needs to tailor his bid to those expectations. If achieving those expectations make it more difficult to make a profit, it is up to the logger to bid accordingly rather than gripe about the forester.  If the logger truly understands the objectives and thinks he has a better way to reach them he should discuss this with the forester prior to bidding. A conscientious forester will hear the logger out and either change the requirements or explain why the job requirements need to remain as specified.

g_man

As a land owner what BaldBobs says all makes perfect sense and is what I would expect to happen. But it is not a perfect world and it does not go that way at times.

gg

moodnacreek

Many foresters work for large sawmills that cut all the wood they can saw or sell. These foresters get around more wood lots than the logger who is busy cutting. Sounds like the should be friends.

Magicman

Some large sawmills and timberland owners have Foresters on their payroll.  They will also hire independent/individual Foresters on a need be basis.  Landowners will hire a Forester to cruise and mark timber for a potential timber sale, etc.  The responsibility of the Forester in each instance is to look after the best interest of their employer.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mike_belben

I think the struggle there is often the timeframe that best interest spans.  Its tempting to do whats most profitable now but worst for the stand and its owner (or future owner) in the future.   

The mismatch between tree payment cycles and human expense cycles. 
Praise The Lord

Magicman

When I bought my property sadly I had to cut timber in order to generate enough $$ to pay for it.  My Forester's target was the amount that I needed which meant that personally I would never be able to realize any income from the property.  The Forester did his job by meeting my expectations since he was knowledgeable and had a good estimate of what the bids would be and also an idea of who would win the contract.  The timber sale was then bidded out with a two year contract to remove the marked timber.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mike_belben

The savings on mortgage interest may likely have outweighed the revenue of a future sale.  I will take debt free now over debt free later any day.
Praise The Lord

Lumberjohn

I remember some forester jobs back in my day. They didn't know I was getting paid by the bushel and offered me all this extra work.....cutting snags, chopping tops down, stumps had to be 4" off the ground, cutting cull trees 100 yards away etc..... all with a skidder breathing down your butt.
My choice was; getting chewed out by the boss or the forester, neither one seemed happy.

Ron Scott

~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!