iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

T shed for air drying

Started by Larry, August 17, 2018, 09:07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

I'm considering building (or buying) a T shed just to air dry. I would like something to cover two stacks wide, 12'-16' high and maybe 30' long. Easy to make longer if required. Possibly drape the sides with Shade Dry to protect from wind blown rain.

I had a friend years ago that had a commercial T shed in his walnut mill and liked it. I can't find any discussion on the forum about this type of shed. An internet search didn't turn anything up either.

This place has T sheds that would fit me perfect....I suspect out of my price range.
http://ks-ka.com/auto-stak-lumber/cantilever-systems/t-sheds/

I've seen a filling station canopy that would be excellent....the only problem is the owner might miss it :D.

So, I'm looking for comments and especially pictures about my idea.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Please read the chapter about air drying sheds in DRYING HARDWOOD LUMBER. 

The pictures in the link show t-sheds for storage of wrapped lumber and not for drying.  They are too tall and without enough overhang to keep rain and sun off the lumber.  You need no less than 4' overhang of the roof, with gutter and downspouts preferred.  Usually the sheds are wide enough for three to five packs of lumber (18' of lumber total) with 2' between the packs edge to edge.  The picture shows a shed that is way overbuilt for what you need...use treated wood posts, concrete piers, and wood trusses with a gabled roof.

Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Larry

If I understand correctly, I need 4' of overhang all the way around and 2' between stacks.

In my little sketch my packs are 4' wide with 2' spacing between stacks.  This makes the shed 18' wide by as long as I want.

The book doesn't say anything about how high.  I usually build my stacks off the mill around 3' tall.  If I went 3 packs tall I would need about 11' of height under the roof to allow enough room for bolsters between packs.  Does this sound ok?

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

samandothers

Only experience I had was building one with dad to put his hammock under! :)

Don P

Those old canopies do sometimes end up somewhere. When Sam is driving up the mountain from Charlotte there is an old building salvage guy in East Bend near King. That's where I go for used structural steel. I've seen the steel for several canopies in his piles. He's bound to have a cousin in AR somewhere.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Or you could make it 24' wide and have three stack width.

When figuring the height, make sure that the mast or other forklift parts can clear the opening when loading the top bundle.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!