iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Crane mats

Started by jb14972, December 01, 2019, 06:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb14972

Anybody cutting crane mats? I'm looking for some advice on the best way to assemble and an outlet for bolts. I'm looking the cut the 8" x16' mats

Oliver05262

Windy Ridge Corp. in Tamworth, NH advertises threaded rods for assembling bridges. 1" X 4 foot long w/nuts & washers. Maybe they can provide outer sizes/lengths. They run an ad in the Northern Logger. 800 639 2021
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

jb14972

nativewolf

Well the input may or may not be wanted but here goes:

https://fastmatusa.com/product/fastmat-drill/

Now what does that mean?  It means that so many people went to build crane and timber mats that a guy found it more profitable to build a tool than make mats.  Here in VA two mennonite mills became big players in the mat business, they found it possible to buy sub tie log quality logs and make mats.  The dry year and lack of new pipelines meant business really slowed.  They are full of logs, which means they are not selling mats.  Which means the pricing is going to be under pressure.  

My advice (free and maybe worthless) be very cautious, make sure you really have your financial projections dialed in.  If the market is glutted and you are cautious and have a captive client it can be a good time to prepare for growth.  Re growth:  The NG world is under huge pressure.  International markets are getting clobbered by tremendous new projects coming on line in Australia and other locations.  The US is the swing producer and will react very quickly to short term changes in pricing, our producers don't have long term contracts (usually) and can/will take pricing where/when it makes sense.  They'll also stop drilling and delay pipelines.  Just keep an eye on your clients business, if oil read up on oil markets, if NG ditto.  Get an online subscription to the Wall Street Journal or Financial Times (better written london's international view on things).  Both markets (oil or gas) are absolutely global and pricing is volatile.  

If I were doing mats we'd have started with the fastmat product.  Then moved up if we could have made a $.  There are more efficient products but they are for sawmills.  Another cautionary note, a pallet mill can build mats with minimal investments.  
Liking Walnut

Gearbox

around us the market was hot for a while . Pipeline and a huge power line . Done for now . look for your market .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

thecfarm

There was an upgrade in the electric power lines. These was callled swamp mats,8 feet wide by 16 feet long?

This was a place that sawed the mats. This was back in 2013. Not much going on now. Ride the boom while you can.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

nativewolf

they are heavy and expensive to truck so there are local markets.  That said, the pic by @thecfarm says a whole lot.  Now if it stays wet all winter in NY and they need to work in the spring they will buy truckloads.

Just be cautious, don't make big or any investments without knowing how to get back out of your sunk expenses.  

Liking Walnut

dustintheblood

There's a huge pile of these that showed up in an abandoned field near here a few months ago.  Truck after truck  came to drop, but that was the end of the story.
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

luap

Cl in Mich has a bunch of used crane mats listed. I know nothing about the market but that says something.

Cruiser_79

What species do you use in US and Canada for rig/crane mats? In Europe most mats are made of Azobe or other tropical hardwood, quite strong stuff;

thecfarm

That sawmill now does not look like that now. Looks like an empty parking lot now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!