iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sticker Stain

Started by DR Buck, July 20, 2009, 10:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR Buck

How deep will I have to sand or plane to get rid of sticker stain in white oak?    My other option is try and stain it out using a slightly darker stain before adding the clear coat.   

This is for a slab bar top 3" thick.   101" long by ~22"-26" wide.   And HEAVY  smiley_sweat_drop

The top is still unfinished.  It's wiped down with mineral spirits to show the grain.........and sticker stain.  :(
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

logwalker

How long have the stickers been off? I wonder if putting it in the sun would have an effect. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

backwoods sawyer

Put in the sun if you like cracks.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

moonhill

Sometimes in life you just have to let things go.  Where do you draw the line?  If you could get the stain out would you then saw the stained lower quality sap wood off the edges?   Maybe next time do something with different stickers, I think it is rather fine just the way it is.  I wonder if you sawed a 1/2" off it, or some heavy cut, more than a sander,  many passes with a planer?  If you have another slab you could test how deep the stain goes. 

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

mayor

Well.....I can handle the 22" width but the 26" might give us a bit of trouble as my planer is only 24".  From what I'm seeing in your pic., I'd be willing too bet that those stains will be about another 1/6" deep.  That's alot for a belt sander unless you have a Vo-tech school or a big woodworking shop around that could run it thru a BIG stationary belt sander for you.
If you can find a big cabinet shop around that has one, that would be the best finished top you could get.

You guys ever thought how nice it would be too have a 24 or 30" planer head on overhead tracks where the wood didnt move?......just move the head down the slab, log, or whatever........it sure would be nicer on huge boards such as this one!
Hmmmmmmmm.......

DR Buck

I've been considering two options.

1 - Put the slab on the mill and take off 1/4".  I think I can get it to clear the blade guides since it's not as wide at the top as it is at the bottom because of the raw edge.

2 - Use my handheld power planer to take off a "smidgen" and re sand it.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

LeeB

Is the other side the same? Can you flip it? Can you take a little at a time from the stain lines only on the other, non show side to see how deep they run with a chisel or plane? I litle bit taken from the center on the underside of the bar top will never be seen and will tell you about the top side.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Chico

If the moisture content is pretty low it may not crack but I wouldn't think the sticker stain is that deep if it's really that big a prob plane a min off at a time I'm guessing it won't be that deeep jmo
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

Thank You Sponsors!