iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hudson banger firewood processor info

Started by logman81, August 25, 2013, 09:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

I have be getting more and more request for firewood and have been thinking a lot lately about getting back into firewood sales. I am considering buying a processor, most interested in the badger from Hudson. I like that it is compact and doesn't need support equipment. Do any of you own one? Are their any flaws with them? Do they handle crooked wood? Is it worth running a carbide tiped chain on the cut off saw? Just looking for input.
Precision Firewood & Logging

leonz

I do not know of any processor that will handle
crooked wood UNLESS it is cut up to the point
where the log is straight before it enters the processor.

I would also look at the Chomper firewood processor as the
chomper uses a shear to cut the blocks at he same time it splits them.

The Simplex 14 is an entry level units that does not require support
equipment like a log deck or a loader as it has its own wire rope winch.

The Simplex 14 alos comes in a tractor mounted version as well.

logman81

What I meant by crooked logs are logs that are not perfectly straight, ones that might have a slight bend in them. I'm not really a fan of the chomper machines I don't like how some woods get splintered from shearing. Plus I plan to use the saw dust generated from it.

logman81

Plus there is a dealer very close to me that sells them and it is within my budget range.

beenthere

Quote from: leonz on August 25, 2013, 10:26:41 AM

I would also look at the Chomper firewood processor as the
chomper uses a shear to cut the blocks at he same time it splits them.

Leonz
What is the limit in size and density that your chomper will "chomp" through??
And what was the cost of  your machine?

Where are you located?  Not in your bio.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

leonz

The chompers can shear and split both soft and hardwoods with out limitations.

I am in NY, I was going to purchase a super 14 but my continuos log supply ran out.
I found a new commercial log splitter with all the bells and whistles  and it was almost
$1,800 off retail so I jumped at it as it was excess inventory and they gave me $400.00
for my 22 year splitter which I was glad to see gone!!!!!

I was going to purchase the Simplex 14 or 16 simply because there is nothing to go wrong with them as the have no live deck or hydraulic saw and you do not have to have anything to load them as it has a hydraulic cable winch system which you could use with a skidding cone or an engine hood for that matter.

The last time I checked on prices the Simplex 14 with gas engine was $14,000 +- BUT
my price was three years ago.

If you would like to chat with an owner of one I can send you a partial
owners list from 2010 and tth information packet as well.

The 14 inch units can shear and split 14 inch logs and the 16 inch units can
shear and split 16 inch  logs.

Send me a PM with your e-mail and will send you the material and partial owners list so you can contact a chomper owner.

Disclaimer: I do not represent Rainier Hydraulics Inc.

r.man

I do wonder whether some species would give the chomper problems. I like the fact that it is the most automatic machine made in North America that I have heard of and it appears to be fast. I would love to see one operate but I don't know of any in Ontario.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

r.man

Just looked at a video of a Simplex, didn't know it was a small non automatic chomper. Still looks good but I really liked look of the automatic feature on the bigger one.

logman81

Not sure what all this has to do with a badger processor?

brendonv

The badger screams heavy duty home owner to me.  I dont know...
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

beenthere

My apologies to logman81 for continuing the diversion from the OP. My bad! ;)

Back to the Badger Hud-Son processor. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

I looked at some of Hudson stuff at Bangor. I can't remember what models.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

logboy

I have a Hud-son badger.  Here is the thread I started after I bought it.  Feel free to ask questions.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,53151.0.html
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

logman81

Brendonv you could be right, I'm not sure though. Beenthere no harm done. I'm just trying to here from owners of this machine or people that have looked at one what their thoughts are on it. Logboy how do like it now that you have had it for a bit? What were some of the issues you had with it? Would it be good for a small commercial firewood business? I'm not looking for a high production machine just one that after coming home from logging can fire up and process a few cords until it gets dark and when I have free time. I'm sure I'll have more questions!

brendonv

I think a diy log deck/ cutting station and a super splitter would be cheap an effective.   We finish early at times and i leave my guy out back to split and he is always finished faster than i thought then he has nothing to do.    :D
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

logman81

That could be an option for some but not me. I plan to do mobile processing for home owner and would also take it on ocasion to my jobs as well so that is why I would like a all in one machine.

Tam-i-am

logman81

you aren't too far from us, I would be willing to give you a demo.
the Firewoodinator is a super splitter with diy log deck.  It has a way to load itself, doesn't care about the size or shape of the log you will be splitting.
supersplit is fast with 2.25 second cycle time, splits doesn't shear so wood is always nice
eliminates the bending and lifting
more efficient than a hydraulic splitter
and it costs under 10K

Tammy

Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

r.man

Logman it certainly looks like tree length wood would process faster and overall I liked the look of the machine in the videos I saw but I was not impressed with how the wood fell into the splitter throat. The quick demonstration I watched had a zero success rate for the block falling into the splitter properly. I don't know if this is fixable or a non problem but it would slow down a money making operation.

r.man

To be fair to Hudson I just spent some time searching out more processing videos and the one I first saw had the worst success rate of all of them for blocks falling askew. With larger wood that was reasonably round the rounds fell fairly well into the splitter. Didn't seem to be any worse or better than most North American machines.

logman81

Rman I saw those videos as well, the video where the rounds were not rolling into the splitter properly I think was caused by two things one being small in size and two it seemed to be getting caught on something on the machine. I think with bigger wood that wouldn't happen much. Thank you for your thought I'm still thinking this is the way to go. I will also need a conveyor for it to and maybe try to make a package deal.

r.man

Having a misaligned block at the splitter is a common problem. I have seen a fairly big Bell processor work and the operator kept a hookeroon tool in the cab to straighten blocks. The short time I watched the machine it happened a few times. The only one that is guaranteed to not have the problem is the Chomper but it can be minimized. I don't like the thought of being overly selective with logs but a larger producer should be able to sort out better logs for a particular machine. I saw a load of 8 ft medium sized straight logs going to a processor in the last month. The logger sends the very poor logs to be chipped and in this case had sorted for ideal for the processor. Not sure how much extra that would be but I plan to ask. If you were going to process for other people you would either need to see all the logs before giving a price or have very strict criteria for extras.

logman81

I think that is just the nature of the beast and all most all processors that I have seen have an occasional problem with blocks not falling right. But it beats handling the wood multiple times
And saves your back and arms, I'm sure with a little experimenting one could fined ways to speed up the badger.

Ivan49

When they first came out with this model I was going to buy one but the local dealer did not have any in stock. At that time the price was around 8 or 9 thousand dollars. As time went on I kept calling the dealer and he finally got 3 of them in. Keep in mind this was the first year they were out. I stopped to the bank and withdrew the money on the way there. The unit was well built and worked very well. I thought the splitter was a little slow but other than that I was impressed. I did not ask the price just told him I wanted one. When he made out the bill the base price had jumped to 12 or 14 thousand dollars> Him and I had a little talk about it and he would not budge on the price so I let without one. This has always left a bad taste in my mouth for Hudson products. Mind you this was from my experence with them and I am sure they are a good company. I ended up building my own maybe not as nice as theirs but it works. I agree a longer log  would speed thing up a lot. We ran some real crooked stuff thru the one I ran and it handled it well. But I guess that all depends on what you call crooked

logman81

Thanks for the input, the splitter does seem a little slow from the videos but not a real big deal. Most of the wood that I would be processing would be log lengths of 20'-24'. Most of what I save for myself is pretty straight and not crooked to much. I do wonder why they chose to use a 3/8 bar and chain instead of .404? I sure they have a reason.

Ivan49

Chain size might have some thing to with the amout of power to run it

Thank You Sponsors!