iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thinking about switching

Started by Justify008, June 20, 2016, 12:45:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justify008

So im looking for some advice I'm thinking about downsizing and switching things up a bit. I currently have a traditional firewood processor im thinking of going to a skidsteer mounted unit. I'm a one man operation I load the processor cut the logs then stop and get back in the skidsteer and load it again. So thats one reason. Also my skidstter has all the amenities (heat, a/c) so I can process in any wheather. I'd like to get into processing for other people and it would be much easier to just haul one machine from job to job instead of 2. Its diffucult for me to get rid of the processor because my father and me originally bought it and fixed it up before he passed so i hate to let it go but my dad would also want me to do what makss the most business sense.So what do you think?

Also what do you think a fair price is for my processor. Its a 1985 blanchard industries processor I have another topic on here about it. 4 cylinder duetz diesel. 2 30plus gpm pumps. Self loading arms no live deck. Belt drive  circular saw blade 36"

lopet

Those skid steer mounted units cost insane money.  I never ran one, neither I don't know how they perform in the long run, or how they  stand up abuse, because you always be trying to put stuff trough you shouldn't be. :) 

About your processor,  look at it what you paid for and what you put into and try to recoup your money  ;D  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Normally there is depreciation on it, but I am only saying this because I think, if I am not mistaken you didn't buy it that long ago.

Don't know if that's any help to you, it's just somebody's opinion.  :)
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

shamusturbo

I have seen those things run at the NEFPE and at Paul Bunyon and they are nothing to write home about. The wood better be straight and better be clean. Perhaps it was an inexperienced operator but he struggled at the Forest Products Expo in Maine to even get the log up onto the machine to process. What do you think is the actual max output of one of those units?

Another point I always thought was a huge turn off for one of those machines is the life you are taking out of your skidsteer. That is the bigger investment, for sure. You are talking oils/filters, hoses, tires/tracks, and anything else that pops up. I rely on a CAT most of the time and it is pretty fuel sauvy but some of the other makes drink some serious fuel too.....

I too do "for hire" processing and 80% of my customers have a way of loading the machine. Some much better then others.....And a handful of them are exhausted from trying to operate fast enough to keep up.

Are you looking at the Halverson or Hahn? The pricier one seems more refined and has been around a lot longer.
Stihls 660,461,460,390,200T
Duramaxs 04 CCLB,15 CCFB DW
Gators- TS Loaded
Timberwolf TW-5
CRD Loco 20
CAT 287B

Justify008

Between buying the machine and parts/maintenance im at less then 9k. Ive had for 8 years I originally bought it when I was 16 I went in halves with my parents they were burning a lot of wood and I was planning on selling wood. Then after they stopped burning I bought the other half.

Im not completely sold on the skidsteer mounted ones for the reasons you stated. But I havent seen them in person yet just a few videos got me thinking. I dont know if id buy one or build something similar.  Idealy if I could build one that at home I could hook to another powerplant (ie. A little diesel motor and pump.) And then if I go somewhere  be able to load it and my skidsteer on my trailer so im only transporting once.

Just looking for options and opinions before I do anything. I have pictures of my processor in my gallery and in another thread. What do you think I could get for it?

Thank You Sponsors!