iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walnut price by 8:00 A.M.

Started by Dana, December 04, 2007, 10:12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

Unless the buyer was someone who had a very specific market, and knew exactly what they were doing, it sounds like another victim of Hardwood Hype. I run into so many people that think that every cherry or oak log should be worth a million bucks. We don't have a lot of walnut around here, but they are worth about a billion for each log. ::) According to Hardwood Hype, we also have a lot of 6" cherry veneer logs. ::) I think Forestry Forum 101 should be part of every high school curriculum, where ever trees grow, or people buy lumber. :D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

farmerdoug

The question is will the high bidder actually pay for the logs or default on the bid.   ::)

I have seen alot of high bid bidders back out before paying.
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Dana

I have as many questions about this as you guys do. My customer who lost the bid left the info on my answering machine. I will call him and the street department manager and get more details.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

SwampDonkey

I hope the guy is happy with his $1000 logs. Just don't upset him when you reply with how good a deal you got with kilned 1200 bf of SEL walnut at the local hardwood mill.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WIwoodworker

In spite of the size of the winning bid I think one thing that's been overlooked is that a municipality decided to sell the trees instead of chipping them up or landfilling them. In other threads it's been noted that it's very difficult to get someone to even talk to a sawyer about city trees.

Sooner or later irrational bidders go away because they lose all their money. I would encourage the town to continue to sell trees when available even if it means watching some painful initial bidding processes.
Peterson 9" WPF

LeeB

Ya'll really think I paid too much ???  :D :D :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Ironwood

Dana, keep us in the loop. Thanks, Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Dana

I tried to call my customer this morning but he was out of town. So I called the man who handled the bids at the city. Here is the real story.
There were two bids on the logs. One from my customer for $415.00 for the 11' veneer log and $240.00 for the other 3 saw logs.
The winning came from a mill in Sterling Michigan. Their bid was $1515.00 for the veneer log and $100.00 for the other 3 saw logs.

One of the 3 saw logs was only 6' in length. All of this new info changes the story more than a little. ::)

SwampDonkey

I have come to know a lot of people over the years that like to make their own truth.  ;D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dana

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 25, 2008, 11:04:18 AM
I have come to know a lot of people over the years that like to make their own truth.  ;D :D
[/quote It's even worse to be the one who believes them and post their info like its the gospel truth. ::)

Thank You Sponsors!