iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wooden wedges?

Started by SasquatchMan, December 22, 2003, 04:54:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SasquatchMan

When a guy is felling a tree, is there any reason not to use hardwood wedges behind the saw as opposed to the commercial plastic ones?  I'm just thinking I can save myself a few bucks.
Senior Member?  That's funny.

Kevin

They won't take the same abuse and will likely split.

SasquatchMan

I was thinking of a something super dense and super hard, like maple, (which I'll put up against yer sissy plastic any day).  I suspect your right though, that with enough tapping etc they'll just wind up cracking... I'll make some up and we'll find out.

etat

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Kevin

Tapping is what little girls do on a dance floor.  :D
Wedges require some hard driving.

Corley5

We used hardwood wedges when we cut da white pine for da camp in da UP.  We got up there with out any wedges but there happened to be a chunk of maple 4x6 that we cut wedges from.  They worked fine.  Grain musta been curly enough to keep them from splitting. ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

SasquatchMan

etat

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Keltic

They use to use them all the time around here. FMK

Tom

I have used wedges made from wood when splittin a large log.  It's called a "Glut".  

Bro. Noble

I have had very poor luck with plastic wedges.  I've used the ones sold by the major chainsaw manufacturers and they just don't hold up.  I use steel splitting wedges and caution.  Since we usually only cut fairly large trees,  I can usually make enough of a back cut before needing to drive a wedge that I stay away from the wedge with the saw.  When I can't use the steel wedge or it isn't enough,  I cut a dogwood or hickory wedge on site.  
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Kevin

I'll just add...
All the pro's use hard plastic, metal  or a combination of both.

Will a wooden wedge work ? Yes.
Is it as good or better than a commercial wedge specifically designed for this purpose? I think not.

rebocardo

FWIW: I am only a beginner.

I use steel splitting wedges once in a while on a back cut if I need a lot of lift on a big stubborn tree. It is backed up by plastic ones though. The steel is used to drive it up, not hold it, since the plastic ones really deform at a sledge hammer beating when lifting a big tree.

Usually I just use the hard plastic ones, especially when bucking a tree to make sure the kerf does not close and kick back the saw on a 24"+ trunk.

rebocardo

Myself, I want to have a certain amount of reliablity, even if it costs a few more dollars since my life is at risk. On a back cut, with plastic I know it will not likely spit back out, crack after a hammer blow, break because of the weight, has ridges, and a textured surface. Plus, being orange, yellow, or green they are easy to find.

Bucking logs or something where it might drop and contact with your saw (hate when that happens) or when splitting a large log I do not see the harm in using them. I use branches, wood I have cut, or what have you that is handy to keep a kerf open while cutting.

SasquatchMan

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like the anti-wood crowd are using wedges in a way  I  wouldn't do.  I use wedges just to keep the kerf open on the cut... to fell the tree once the cut is done, tipping the tree with a crowbar is a lot easier than hammering away at wedges, no?

David_c

i find plastic wedges work fine. one of the things i learned at game of logging was the open faced notch & plunge cut and i find i use it almost excusivelly. no more racing the tree down no pinched bars and if it needs a wedge put them in then cut the release wood and go.

Kevin

I wouldn't say I'm opposed to wooden wedges but I will say the hard plastic wedges will probably last much longer and aren't likely to fail when you need them at a critical moment.
You won't lift a large tree with a bar, wedges have proven to be the tool of choice by pro loggers.
The real big stuff gets jacked.
For keeping a kerf open wood is fine.

Woodhog

I use hardwood wedges all the time,  usually maple, only takes a few minutes to make them and doesnt matter if you lose them, also pound with a piece of oak as my small axe is always lost....you can really pound hard on them....
Also dont fell sick if I cut into one of them...the plastic ones are very expensive and break when its cold....

Corley5

I threw away a couple plastic wedges that I had because they were "spongy".  They weren't worth a $hi+ for falling because if the tree decided it wanted to come back the wedges would flatten out and wouldn't help a bit >:( >:( >:(.  Now that's dangerous in my book.  That was my first experience quite a while ago.  A couple years ago we were getting ready to cut some maple timber and I picked up a couple thinking they must have improved them.  Nope not a bit.  I did have an aluminum wedge around somewhere that was pretty nice.  Worked good and didn't screw up a chain if you hit it.  A steel splitting wedge works as good as anything just don't hit it with the saw.  Given the choice between a hardwood wedge and a plastic one I'd take the wooden one anyday.

Minnesota_boy

Don't use a steel wedge for aspen when it is cold out!  Frozen aspen will spit a steel wedge 5 to 10 feet.  You can drive them in a bit and they seem fine, but one more hit and out they come.  Kind of scary if you have started the tree tipping and the wedge comes flying out at you and then the tree tips back too!  :o
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Kevin

There are many different types of plastic wedges, they all vary in quality and cost.
There is even a softer plastic wedge for colder temperatures.

http://www.timberbuyer.net/chainsaws/wedging.htm

QuoteWooden wedges need to be either thrown away, used as firewood or mounted on the mantel piece as an unsafe and unreliable antique. They will split, break or disintegrate and always when you need them the most. This can cause injury or death to you or someone else.

SasquatchMan

Those maple wedges won't crack or split if I oil em up real good. ::) ;D

Kevin

They'll burn better too.   :D

Corley5

Frank_Pender

More often than not I have used Douglas Fir limb wood for both my falling and bucking wedges. 8)   Rarely do they split on me.  ;D  They are very expendable as well as replaceable. :)  I like them as they are realy easy to make while the limb is still attatched to the feld tree.  You can make several at a time.
Frank Pender

Thank You Sponsors!