iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Reforestation

Started by Stump-Pee, January 29, 2004, 09:56:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stump-Pee

Hello All,
I am interested in reforesting approximately 50 acres of my property.  What type of equipment do I need?  In the past, I have used tree-bars on smaller scale reforesting, but a large area like would seem to require something more efficient.  Does anyone have a picture of the equipment I will need?  Hopefully it is something I can rent from someone.

I enjoy reading this forum; keep up the good work

:P

Stump Jumper

Welcome stump_pee. I can't help you with your ? but somebody should be able to . The user name caught my attention :D :D had to laugh 8) 8)  Enjoy the ride here. ;)
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

Ron Scott

What species are you going to reforest with and is the property quite open with good access etc? If so, you should machine plant with a planting machine. You will also need a suitable tractor to pull it. Depending upon where your property is located, there are contractors that do machine planting.

It's best to have someone with a lot of experience do your machine planting to insure good survival. Contact your local Conservation District Forester. They can usually provide you with the names of local planting contractors.
~Ron

Swede

1960 to 65, just when the farmers here got all their field free from stones (Have You heard about Stony Småland?) they begin  planting most fields with spruce. Some sold the topsoil first and get some money for plants. They who didn´t have 50-85% rotten half grown spruce now. A little storm "solve the problem" and fell this trees.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

tawilson

Swede,
They did the same thing here. My ancestors spent 140 years clearing the family farm, and the Conservation Department destroyed it in 1 summer. I guess it wouldn't have mattered, the whole place grew over anyways. At least my grandma got paid for it. They planted 30,000 trees about 5' apart. For years you had to crawl on your belly to get through them. They grew pretty straight tho. I wonder what I can do with thousands of spruce that are about 14" at the base. Problem is, you cut one, it'll stay standing, have to hook a chain on to drag it out.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

Ron Scott

Do you have any local markets for spruce pulpwood, studs, or chips? You might consider a mechanical thinning if there are a enough acres.
~Ron

Swede

tawilson

A timberjack to fell, take branches of and cut them in one moment. Are they rotten inside? Then start a  production of vanilla flavour! They do that in Norway.
Here we get better paid for small timber, 8´-10´ long  than for pulpwood but it has to be good wood.
In that case and if it was my stand I skould buy a gangsaw tomorrow morning as a complement to "Amerika-Sågen" Cut the width (two parallel sides) with the bandmill , 2" and some 1" with gangsaw at once.  :)

Swede.

Swede.

Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

Ron Wenrich

Here's a link that might be helpful.

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/forestry/Private/Establish/chklst.htm

And if you want to buy one, here's a link for an outfit in Michigan.  http://www.aeonintl.com/TreePlanter.htm

I rented one a number of years ago, along with a tractor.  It still took a good deal of time. It was basically a sub-soiler with a seat and a pair of discs on the back.  We were planting a field.

I've also planted by hand using a dibble bar.  Some guys swear by hoedads.  Hand planting works pretty good where there are lots of problems in the soil, such as rocks and stumps.  We planted walnut in a field by hand with pretty good results.  The economics were pretty close, since the spacing on the walnut was further apart.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SwampDonkey

HI Stump-Pee

Does your state have any tree planting programs? Some states may have subsidies to scarify the brush and prepare plantable sites, they may even help buy the trees and help with wages to stick them in if you plan on doing the work yourself with hired help. What type of site is it? You should really have a regeneration survey done to determine what species are already established before doing a full plant. You may only require a fill planting if the planted stock will be free from competition. There are various pieces of equipment used in scarification. Such as power disc trenchor, C&H plow, crushers, 2 furrow plough with mounted rear roller. With heavy scarification equipment, you'll need dry ground or you end up with alot of site damage because of shallow soil found on wet sites. Sites with thick (non mineral) duff need scarification also or the roots just dry up and the trees die. So its important that roots have mineral soil contact.

http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/hfp/pubs/silvman/siteprep/2-Mech-05.htm
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

tawilson

Swede and Ron,
Thanks for the suggestions. I've been thinking along some of those same lines myself. The paper mills have taken nose dive around here, so I've got my doubts about pulp. But I need to get some out to see what shape they are in. I'm into another project now. Road building to a future camp location and firewood log stockpiling while there's a frost. Logs and lumber for that camp is what I'm thinking. However, I don't mean to hijack Stump-Pee's thread maybe I'll do a little research and start my own. I've got some more questions about what I'm doing also.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

Stump-Pee

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions.  Sorry to reply back so late, but I don't always have access to my emails.

All of the suggestions and comments are very helpful.  I have a few acres of open, high ground, that I would like to reforest.  I have access from all directions.  I would like for the majority of it to be pine (white or red perhaps).  Some would be hardwoods, and about 1 acre of christmas trees.  The Christmas trees would be a small hobby I want to try.

I do understand that there is a cost-share program offered through my state, but it all starts with a management plan.  I already have this underway with the county forester.

What I wasn't sure about was the potential in cost savings if I were to rent (or buy) the equipment myself versus going through the cost-share program.  However, in some of the comments I received, it is recommended that I hire a professional in this field to do my planting in order to improve the survival rate; this is excellent advise.

Thanks to all!!!

Thank You Sponsors!