iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for good wood

Started by Kevin, March 06, 2004, 04:18:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Here's a picture of a notch.
Reading the notch will tell you whether the hinge wood is good or --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/photo/74882584/123488883pNhEiD]
The Notch[/url]

Here's the tree at rest, and me too!
This tree was damaged by a skidder many years --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/photo/74882584/123814414UalyVq]Hemlock[/url]

Ed_K

Don't cha just love it when they go where their supposed to  8).
Ed K

Frickman

Looks like a lot of rotten wood in the hinge area. Well made, accurate hinge though. We avoid scraping residual trees with equipment and logs for the reason you showed here. Occasionally you do need a "bumper" tree where a trail turns. For this we pick out a lower grade tree and beat the heck out of it, removing it at the end of the job. I've found that if I carry a tape measure and buck the logs to their merchantable length at the stump it is much easier to skid the logs out without damaging other trees. I'll measure up the log to the first cut and fasten chokers to each side. Cut the log apart and pull it out.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Jeff

I'm really impressed on the quality of photography that yeller dog has achieved. ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

redpowerd

save a few steps, eh frick?
man i love them snowy quiet days in the hemlock hollow.
makes me wanna make some more sidin'
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Kevin

I had a pretty tight window to drop that hemlock so I used the gunning sticks and wedges.
One light tap on the wedge and down she came.
The tree was leaning away from the lay and in the picture you can see where I took the corner off the hinge to turn the tree.

Kevin

Jeff;
The dog is spoiled.
He won't go in the water unless he's riding in the Argo.  ::)

Frickman

That's right redpowered, save a step where you can. I'm doing all the cutting, in the woods and at the landing both. If I can determine in the woods where the log will be cut I do it there. Saves cutting dirty logs at the landing. This is similar to the expensive cut to length systems, only I use a chain saw. Much of the time a log coming out of the woods is ready to go on a truck. This saves me alot of time on the landing.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Thank You Sponsors!