iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DPatton

PA_Walnut,

Those are some interesting stickers you have in that slab pile. Do you make them yourself?
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Darrel

That blade is wandering a tad bit don't you think?
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Crossroads

With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

burtle

Quote from: PA_Walnut on March 17, 2018, 05:53:41 AM

Roast you!?  How about congratulate you: Well done!  :o
Free logs are good and it appears you are doing great with them!

Only thing I see--walnut isn't exceptionally prone to staining, but your stickers appear to be softwood AND wide, which won't allow (slow) drying under them. See if you can make some stickers that are more narrow to put between your walnut or move them several times.

On the bottom it appears that you have thinner stock stacked-up agains the sides. Don't do that either--airflow is good.

All in all, you're after to a GREAT start! Enjoy your wood.

I will use different stickers and make them thinner.

I'm going to fix the other stack as well. Thanks again for the tips!
Never Give Up

Downstream

After three years of sawing I finally gave up on a log.  4 nails, hidden metal in the middle of the log, 2 toasted blades and I finally shut it down.  Good news it was the last log I had left to saw. There was so much metal I don't even want to risk chainsawing it into firewood.  To bad since it was a nice looking log.  Glad I get them for free.  Any ideas of what I do with it or I will roll it into the ravine?

EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

Magicman

It would almost make a bench. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Briankinley2004

After sitting idle since the fall I cut some red oak, white oak and gum today and made some lumber pallets off Jim Rogers design. I have logs to cut but want to get set up to handle them with the sky trac first. I used the extension to put flitches on and will try and get the backstops built for it soon so I can start using it to cut on

E-Tex

ERC and a few pine.
full 4"x4"x10', 2"x4", and some 4/4 various widths. 

LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

WLC

Was nice and warm here today at about 38-40° so after digging the sawmill out of the snow for the second time in the past couple of weeks I literally dug a small log off the pile and cut some stickers.  Just couldn't stand not running it for a bit. As soon as I can actually see what I've got in the log pile I'm going to start whittling it down.  Hopefully another week or two at the most before I can start in earnest.  Got to get this stuff sawed up so I can drag some more out of the woods to saw.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

PA_Walnut

Quote from: DPatton on March 17, 2018, 11:28:51 AMThose are some interesting stickers you have in that slab pile. Do you make them yourself?

Dpatton, the stickers are design to have minimal contact with the wood, allowing air to get to the area they touch. This minimizes (eliminates) sticker staining, etc.

Walnut isn't quite as prone as lighter woods, but I've seen WAY too many walnut treasures stashed in a barn, tobacco lath as stickers, only to stain/rot at the point under the stickers.

I have made these before, but those particular ones are purchased. They are NOT cheap at $2ea, but well worth it for me. They are oversized to allow better airflow for slabs. I also use 3/4 inch sized ones too!
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Kbeitz

I'm with MM... Make a bench...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Crusarius

Quote from: Downstream on March 17, 2018, 08:46:45 PM
After three years of sawing I finally gave up on a log.  4 nails, hidden metal in the middle of the log, 2 toasted blades and I finally shut it down.  Good news it was the last log I had left to saw. There was so much metal I don't even want to risk chainsawing it into firewood.  To bad since it was a nice looking log.  Glad I get them for free.  Any ideas of what I do with it or I will roll it into the ravine?

Throw some legs under it put it by the road with a for sale sign maybe make $50 off of it :)

LeeB

Take nothing less than $300.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Jim_Rogers

I finally finished the block order for the paving company:

The last four 6x6x4' are on the mill.
I emailed the company that they order was done. And sent them the second part invoice. As they had picked up part of the order already, and I had invoiced them for that some 3 weeks ago.
The man in the company that ordered them called to discuss the invoice.
He said he had told the office to not pay the first part of the invoice as there were more pieces of lumber coming to complete his order.
I was not happy to hear that.
I emailed him an invoice for the entire order.
They had been pushing me to complete the order as then needed the blocks, and after I told them they were done, I expected him to rush right over and pick them up. But then didn't come on Friday, and they don't work on Saturdays, that much during the winter.
I wanted to ask you about how to handle this in the future. Would you not send a part order? if they are not going to pay it. They do issue purchase order numbers for every order.
The current trailer plank order is half done (1 trailer deck done) and one almost done of the same number of planks for a spare trailer. And they paid me for the part of this order that they picked up three weeks ago.

Any advice would be helpful.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

SawyerTed

I have a bad case of MPD, Multiple Project Disorder.  So after spending 5 hours on a bathroom remodel for a neighbor, I got to do some sawing sawing yesterday. 

I'm working on a cut list for a sawmill shed.  So I cut 6x6x14 for posts, 2x8x14 for rafters and top plate beams, and a stack of 1x6 and 1x8 side boards.  Dr. Emily, my wife, was off bearing and stacking.  Since she volunteered to help, I can't criticize her stickering.  I'll be anchor sealing the ends this afternoon or in the morning.  All material is pine and poplar.

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

PA_Walnut

Quote from: SawyerTed on March 18, 2018, 10:22:43 AMI have a bad case of MPD, Multiple Project Disorder.  So after spending 5 hours on a bathroom remodel for a neighbor, I got to do some sawing sawing yesterday.  

Tru'dat here also! :(

This has piqued my interest with the sawmill shed part. I have to do the same. Curious what kinda build you're doing? I have a bunch of oak and poplar logs allocated to this and need to get moving!

In the meantime, sawed this awesome cherry yesterday. Made 8/4, 10/4 and 12/4 slabs. Awesome material!
First image was wetted down. The 2nd one shows some figure in the slabs. ;D

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

WDH

Quote from: Kbeitz on March 18, 2018, 09:13:41 AM
It would cost one SGU to just move that thing :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Magicman,you may saw'em and leave'em,but back a couple pages again,I would saw'em and steal'em. :D  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SawyerTed

My plan is to build a pole building 26' wide by 40' long.  It will have a 4/12 roof pitch (snow load is not to serious a concern) with a metal roof attached to 1x sheathing boards.  Rafters will be 2x8 24" oc set on built up beams which will be set on 6x6x10 posts.  Posts will be set on concrete footings with 24" tall concrete piers.  On the log loading side there will be a 20' space between posts to allow logs to be loaded to the mill.

Board an batten and sliding doors will be applied once I figure out how work will flow. 

I want the building tall enough to allow operation of loading equipment  underneath and addition of another shed perpendicular to this building.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Magicman

@Jim_Rogers  After the invoice is paid I would ask to talk with your representative and state your case for direction.  He wants what he wants and you need what you need.  It seems to me that the precident is already set with you being paid for the partial trailer plank order.

When sawing, I generally ask to be paid at the end of each week and the final at the end of the job.  I may not actually need it but the "need" is not a business decision.  Remaining current with invoicing and being paid are because you need to maintain your cash flow.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Jim,

I'd go ahead and deliver/surrender the rest of this order to the customer in good faith. After you collect for this invoice I would take special note how long it does take them to pay. I can somewhat understand them not wanting to pay till they have the entire order because there is a good chance they can't complete their work till they have it all. This should have been clear up front to both parties though. 

If they are slow paying and want more materials in the future I'd tell them cash in advance based on past collection delays with them. That will help ensure the worker bees keep pressure on the pay and accounting people and let them know they are causing problems. 

I am like Lynn on my pay. I tell my customers I get paid at the end of the job or weekly, whichever comes first. Then again I am selling a mobile sawing service not the finished lumber/product. If my project gets interrupted the customer still has the balance of his logs. I once let a customer get about 3 weeks of my work before I finished and got paid for it all and I can honestly say I was getting nervous. He did pay immediately upon completion.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Jim_Rogers

Thanks for the advice 
Jim Rogers 
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Dave Shepard

I suppose a little give and take is expected with a regular customer, but I have moved to 30 to 50 % down, and full payment for anything that leaves the mill yard. I'm not a financing company, and I'm not going to play the 30 days game, either. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Peter Drouin

Jim, Nothing leaves here without not being paid for. Unless I get a big order like 2000 BF of stuff. I let stuff go like ½ a timber frame. And they pay for what they get. Small orders get all cut and done before I call them.
I don't let customers push me. Their emergency is not mine.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Kbeitz

Quote from: WDH on March 18, 2018, 11:02:53 AM
Quote from: Kbeitz on March 18, 2018, 09:13:41 AM
It would cost one SGU to just move that thing :).
A bench with wheels....
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!