iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is this a hen of the woods?

Started by WV Sawmiller, October 14, 2018, 01:33:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

I mentioned this in the Food thread but will post it here in hopes to expand the viewing. I spotted this mushroom yesterday while bow hunting. I went back today and harvested it. I am thinking it is Hen of the Woods. It was growing on an old oak stump. Can anyone out there confirm it is or let me know if it is not. If it is any favorite recipes to cook it would be appreciated.

Before harvesting

Gallon bucket shown for scale

I also picked this big puffball mushroom on the way home but it was yellow inside so I pitched it. I understand they need to be solid white to be safe and good to eat.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Ruffgear

FLPINERAT

Nice find!

Picked up a few lion's mane and tons of chanterelles last year.

Ive missed 3 zones of bow this year so far....ain't hunting in 90d weather

WV Sawmiller

Thx ruffgear. I will die easier eating it now. :D I cleaned it last night and will likely cook and eat some tonight. When I cleaned it I know it looked and acted like the videos I had seen of them.

FLPINERAT,

This was the first time it had gotten cool enough I felt like trying it. I like to catch the weather when the nights are above freezing but below about 45 or so. Then I can let the deer hang on my outside rack and chill then I can go bone it out in the morning. Actually of freezing I can hang it in my log barn and leave a light or two on to knock the chill off and not let it freeze. Lots of people like to let them hang till then almost turn green. I process mine within 24 hours if possible. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Ruffgear

👍yep I love hunting and eating wild mushrooms, but I always get a bit nervous when trying new ones. My wife makes me eat them first to see if I live through it😁. I just used some of my dried hens in a beef and vegetable soup.

WV Sawmiller

I finished off a bowl of leftover stir fry mushroom and pasta for breakfast and am fixing to go make up some beef and mushroom to serve over rice for lunch.
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!