iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lawn Grass I.D?

Started by ReggieT, June 07, 2019, 03:56:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReggieT

Hey Guys,

I've been toying over either re-seeding or throwing down Bermuda sod in my front yard.
I reside outside of Birmingham, AL...so it gets mighty hot & humid during the summer months.

Before I invest in either of these options, I took note of what is growing thick and hearty in my yard, yet it's a grass I'm unfamilar with.
If I can find the seeds for this I can match my current grass and seed it into bare spots.
Currently this grass covers about 85% of my yard.
If no one can ID by my pics, where could I send some clipping samples to and obtain a positive ID?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reg

btulloh

St. Augustine grass perhaps
HM126

ReggieT

After looking @ tons of pics...it may be crabgrass! :P :embarassed:

btulloh

It does look like that at first but crabgrass tends to grow sideways and looks less organized. I have plenty of that. I really think it's st. Augustine 
HM126

Dan_Shade

I've always kinda liked crab grass and dandelions  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

lxskllr

I'm indifferent to crabgrass, but I especially like dandelions. One place I lived was almost pure dandelion in the backyard. It would alternate between white puffs and yellow flowers. Amazing to see really. I'd be surprised if my yard now was 50% "desirable" grasses. There's a little bit of everything in the yard. Some of the flowers I mow around til I get tired of it, or they quit blooming. I don't care what's in the yard as long as it keeps the dirt from washing away.

caveman

Not St. Augustine, Bermuda, Zoyzia, Bahaia, or Centipede.  
Caveman

firefighter ontheside

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

btulloh

Definitely not zoysia or nutsedge.
HM126

caveman

Nutsedge is bright green, has a starlike seed pod and is round at the base.  Not nutsedge.
Caveman

firefighter ontheside

I always thought it was nutsedge, because that's what I was told.  Upon looking it up, it's clearly not nutsedge.  We have lots of it around us, but I guess I don't know what it is.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

lxskllr

I've seen the OP's stuff before, and I think I might have some in my yard, but I don't know what to call it. It's nice to walk on. Crabgrass isn't so nice to walk on. It's stemmy, and spreads like cancer. The stalks drop down and sprout roots. I guess that's why it's called crabgrass. Crab=cancer, but I don't know why. I should look that up sometime.

Ljohnsaw

Well, maybe you have a new species!  Get a patent on it and make a fortune :D  I suppose you have a lot of rain through the summer.  It doesn't look drought tolerant so no-go for me ;)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: lxskllr on June 07, 2019, 08:33:39 PM
I've seen the OP's stuff before, and I think I might have some in my yard, but I don't know what to call it. It's nice to walk on. Crabgrass isn't so nice to walk on. It's stemmy, and spreads like cancer. The stalks drop down and sprout roots. I guess that's why it's called crabgrass. Crab=cancer, but I don't know why. I should look that up sometime.
Exactly.  It's great to walk on with bare feet.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

btulloh

Crabgrass grows out from the center horizontally and by mid summer a clump of crabgrass looks like a #1 Jimmy.
HM126

Southside

It's called Quack grass, I have it here too. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

thecfarm

Does it have a white root? Pull one piece and there will be 3-4-5 more growing on the same root? I fight something that kinda looks like that in my garden. I don't really know the name of it,but I call it a few names. :D It will spread fast and take over. Great for a lawn,not so much for a garden.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ReggieT

Quote from: thecfarm on June 08, 2019, 06:13:34 AM
Does it have a white root? Pull one piece and there will be 3-4-5 more growing on the same root? I fight something that kinda looks like that in my garden. I don't really know the name of it,but I call it a few names. :D It will spread fast and take over. Great for a lawn,not so much for a garden.
Take a look @ the pic with roots intact and tell me what you think it may be.

thecfarm

I did look at the picture but did not really look like a white root with "hair" for another piece of grass. Or I should say pieces.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ReggieT

Quote from: Southside on June 08, 2019, 12:19:55 AM
It's called Quack grass, I have it here too.
Hmm...my grass seems to lack the classic "auricles" common to Quack Grass. Did you plant it & is there a way to buy seeds for it?
My wife actually likes it.
Thanks

Southside

Did not plant it, but we don't use any herbicide on our grazing land so I see a wide variety of grasses that have either been in the soil a long time or get deposited by a deer, bird, etc. 

Let it go to seed and collect it yourself. There is a gentleman in Oklahoma who started that way with improved varieties of crab grass and now has a very successful business and several named varieties he produces. His stuff makes for great forage. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

btulloh

Take a small patch of your grass to someone for id.  You have Southern States there.  Some of them  have good turf people on staff and can very helpful and give you a positive ID.  Some don't have the right people - it just depends.  Somewhere close to you there's a turf store that can help.  It's hard to ID precisely by the pictures.  It looks like some type of lawn grass, but what exactly?
HM126

Raider Bill

We have that in our flower beds. It originated from bird seed.
No Idea what it is. Always thought it was a type of crab grass.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

ReggieT

Thanks for all the feedback.
Contacted the Alabama A&M/Auburn County extension today about sending some clippings for positive ID.

ReggieT

***UPDATE***

Here is the dreaded news! :-\ ::) :P
Never seen crabgrass look so green, fluffy, and pretty...yet I'm not a grass guru either!

Hello Reggie Turner,

The weed is crabgrass. The attachment will list some herbicides to control the weed.

Thank you,

Nelson D. Wynn, Regional Extension Agent
205-669-6763

Thank You Sponsors!