iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chainsaw carving

Started by Ultimate buzz, October 14, 2006, 02:42:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ultimate buzz

Woodcarver,  Looking at your previous posts, are you also a hobby chainsaw carver? I own an old abandoned farm to
     the south of you in the Almond  / Blaine area ,where I  have been  chainsaw carving off and on for a little over a year.

Let me know if you would ever like to get together and do some carving.  My email at work is: kent@apollo-tool.com
Chainsaw carver and collector

Woodcarver

Welcome to the forum, UB. The carving I and my wife have done to this point has been "hand" carving, primarily caricature, and a little relief carving.

We are thinking about trying chain saw carving. I'm shopping for a small limbing saw right now that could also be used as a detail saw.  I think I'll probably order the Echo 346 carving package from Bailey's.

What do you use for a detail saw?

We belong to a local carving club.  There are two club members that I know of who are chainsaw carvers.  One has been chainsaw carving for a couple of years.  He's in the Wisconsin Rapids area.  The second fellow just joined the club.  About all I know about him is that he earns some income from chainsaw carving.

The club meets wednesday nights in Wisconsin Rapids.  Let me know if you might be interested.

Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Ultimate buzz

Woodcarver,
        I actually am a member of your woodcarving club. The only problem is I've worked
        second shift for the last few years, and the club meets at night.My father, Greg Trapp
        was one of the earlier members when the club met in the Lincoln high school woodshop
        The only time I get to carve with the club members is up at the Boulder Junction
        seminar.I missed out this last summer because of health reasons,but I plan on being
        there next year.

There is another carving club that meets about 15 miles south of Wisconsin Rapids in
        the Town of Rome town hall on tuesday afternoons from 1 to 4.There are actually a
        few carvers from Rapids that come down here.Of particular interest are Norb and Carol
        Dailey.Norb is a master carver that specializes in fish carvings,while Carol specializes in
        Scandinavian Acanthus carving and phenominal woodburning scenes.The club has a one
        time fee of $24. The club has an open door policy and welcomes visitors and new
        members.The afternoon meetings are really practical and safer,when it comes to
        driving, especially in bad weather,and when the deer are out, which is always around
        here!

As far as carving saws : I'm running a Jonsered CS 2152 with a 20" bar for roughing  or
                                             "blocking" out
                                             An Echo 346 with the stock 16" bar it came with for the
                                             majority of my cutting
                                             A Red Max 3800 with a "dime" tipped 12" bar, running a 1/4"
                                             pitch chain for fine detail work

I really like the Echo saws, and they really support chainsaw carving through their Echo
        carving team and their many sponsorships of the chainsaw carving competitions across
        the country.They also sponsor a National Chainsaw Competition.This past August, It
        was in Oskosh,Wisconsin as part of the Ducks Unlimited festival at the EAA grounds,
        and it was really awesome to see the pros at their best!Last year it was in Kentucky
        where I believe it was at a trade show where the general public did not have access.
        Maybe, if we cheeseheads are lucky it will be back here again next year! It is really
        something to see!

I actually own three Echos, 2 346's and one of the new 370's that replaced the 346. I
        really like the weight and thus manuverability of the 346.With chainsaw carving I'm
        working a lot higher than when I'm cutting firewood or pulpwood and at 50 years old,
        the weight makes a difference.The only drawbacks with the 346 that I found was that
        the air filter is up front, off to the side of the bar, and absolutely has to be cleaned on
        a steady basis.Another thing which is also the same on the Red Max,is that the oil fill
        and the gas fill are opposite all of my other saws >:( , which is really a pain when you
        fill oil in the gas tank! Conversely, the 370 is a much heavier saw than the 346, and
        from what I'm reading, Baileys doesn't carry a carving sprocket for the 370 yet.On the
        bright side,on the 370 the gas and oil are like the rest of all of the saws I've owned in
        the last thirty years.

The 346 is discontinued,and again from what I'm reading on the different forums on
        www.chainsawsculptors.com ,Baileys no longer has them available.There is an Echo
       dealer to the east of Waupaca on highway 54,Waupaca Power Products that might have
       a few of the 346's still available,and for sure the Ace hardware store in Wisconsin Rapids
        still had a few in stock. I picked one up from there last week for $259+ tax.They are in
        demand and getting harder to find

There is another member of this forum, Dale Hatfield ,who is a member of the chainsaw
        carvers guild , who has a lot more experience than I do, who could probably offer a
        better perspective,but  in my personal opinion, a person can do a lot of the simpler
        chainsaw carvings with a smaller saw with a relatively smaller tipped conventional bar.
        For example,the stock echos or poulon wild thing.With a simple smaller saw and the
        hand carving tools you have, you should be able to make some pretty neat carvings.

One of the main reasons I wanted to learn chainsaw carving was the high prices that
        suppliers were getting for "roughouts" for some of the busts I wanted to hand carve.
        As a hand carver you already have the ability to visualize shapes and detail, and that
        really helps in chainsaw carving.

The main thing, is to carve safe. Wear protective gear,and realize that wielding that
       saw at arms length and head and chest heighth is fatiging. Take breaks often,and step
       back and  analyze your cuts before you make them. The Steve Backus dvds on carving
       are priceless. He has individual  dvds for carving a bear,carving an eagle,and carving an
       owl.The chainsaw sculptors site has them and ships for free.Baileys carries the bear tape
       I do not know if they carry the others

To save your back when carving, try to work at waist heigth. A lot of times I set the log
       on  12" to 24" cut off logs to put where I'm cutting at a comfortable heighth.To keep
       piece from moving around, I'll run a few drywall screws through some flourescent
       surveyors tape and then into an edge of the workpiece into the stump. The tape
       reminds me where the screws are so I don't hit them with my saw!

As far as chainsaw carvers in the Wisconsin Rapids club, the only one I know of is John
       Pastori. There is another carver from Nekoosa, Ted (Doc) Parker.He might be in the
       Rapids club, I do not know. Either way, hand carving or chainsaw carving, carve safe!

Woodcarver

Thanks for all of the info, UB.  I had heard that the 346 was being discontinued, but it's listed in the Baily's Christmas sale catalog I just received.  I'll have to give them a jingle and find out it's really available.  Home Depot still had them in stock last week.
It's unfortunate that Echo is replacing it with a heavier saw.  Husqvarna makes a rear handled arborits saw that is similar in weight to the Echo 346, but it is pricey--at least a $100 more than the 346.

Where did you buy your Red Max? I had it on my list of possibillities, but I don't know of a dealer in the area.  Of course, ordering it on-line would be no different than buying the Echo on-line. I had heard a rumor that Husqvarna was buying Red Max. We have a good Husqvarna dealer in the area who I've dealt with for years.

My wife and I haven't made it up to Boulder Junction or we probably would made your acquaintance before now. We don't get to all of the club meetings either because of other activities and distance--it's close to an hour drive for us. Perhaps we'll see you at the club show?       

Ultimate buzz

Woodcarver,
             You were right about Husky buying out Red Max.There is a post on  www.arboristsite.com  under the equipment
        forum / under chainsaws / on about the ninth or tenth page by Uwharris that goes into detail about the proposed
        buyout.

The two Red  Max dealers in Wisconsin that I personaly know of  are : Jerry Schieffer of Mukwonago, which is
                                                                                                                          about 30 miles west of the Milwaukee
                                                                                                                           metro area  phone  262-363-2250

Jamie Doeren of Abrahms ,which is about
                                                                                                                           20 miles north of Green Bay  ;D right
                                                                                                                           off of Hy 41  phone 920-826-5750
              Both of these guys personally chainsaw carve and know their saws. I bought mine from Jamie Doeren.I went
        there to see his shop and his carvings and carving setup.Jamie  has been in the service end of chainsaws for a lot of
        years and is an excellent troubleshooter. As a chainsaw carver, he is a pro , and has published two chainsaw  carving
        books and a chainsaw carving video. The books are available from  Larry  and Carol Yudas (Woodcrafters Supply?) ,
        from Jamie himself, or from www.chainsawsculptors.com
               The Red Max saw , set up with a carving bar and chain was around $ 370.Whichever saw you decide to buy , I
        would strongly recommend you go and try them out first. Either of these guys will let you , as long as you  have
        a good background with chainsaws in general. They are both stand up guys. If you ever want to try my Red Max or
        Echos,email me and we can hook up .

One other thing, if you ever get a chance to see any carvers in action, check them out! The only show/comp
        coming up that I know of is Klondike Days up in Eagle River in the middle of February. I will be there for sure.I went
        there last winter and had a blast!

As far as the clubs show in March, I always make a point to stop in and see everyone. When you go to the
       Wednesday night meeting, tell Bill & Sophie and Greg & Sandy that Ken Trapp says hello !  Thanks

Woodcarver

I e-mailed Bailey's Monday to inquire about the Echo 346. They had about a month's supply left.  I ordered the carving package.

We have one of Jamie's books that we bought from Big Dog (Larry Yudis).  I knew Jamie was from Wisconsin, but I wasn't aware that he had a shop near Green Bay.  The next time the Lady Carver and I are over that way we'll make it a point to visit his shop.

The Lady Carver and I first learned carving from Bill in the classes he teaches at the Lincoln Center in Stevens Point.  We've been talking about enrolling in Sophie's chip carving class.  That's another form of carving that we haven't tried yet.  I'll be sure to mention you to Bill & Sophie and Greg & Sandie the next time we see them.     

Thank You Sponsors!