iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky 55 (Rancher)

Started by Woodhog, April 05, 2004, 10:35:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhog

Do you think this saw could handle an 18 inch bar/chain and still have good power etc??

Kevin

Yes it will if the bar isn't continually buried in wood.
I would step up if you plan on cutting larger wood say 18-24"most of the time.
My 262 generates a little more than one hp over the 55 at 62cc and I wouldn't want anything smaller for what I'm cutting with it.
If it died tomorrow I would replace it with the 372.

oldsaw-addict

Hey Kevin, Your dark master commands you buy more saws! :D I have my 266 for ANYTHING in my town, there aint a single tree big enough to warrant a bigger saw yet in the Tampa Bay area. I think the 55 will handle most trees with the 18" bar as long as you dont keep the bar nose buried for long. As long as we're talking about the 55R, has anyone ever thought to have Dozer Dan build one? Just curious.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

SasquatchMan

A guy could run a longer bar with a less aggressive chain too, offering large cut capacity but somewhat reduced cut speed.
Senior Member?  That's funny.

Oregon_Rob

QuoteA guy could run a longer bar with a less aggressive chain too, offering large cut capacity but somewhat reduced cut speed.

If by less aggressive, you mean a chain semi-chisel, I would have to disagree. If you can file a chain, I would run a full chisel chain and keep it sharp. If you don't know how to file, buy a file guide and learn how. It's the best saw upgrade you can make.
Chainsaw Nerd

oldsaw-addict

If by less aggressive, you mean a chain semi-chisel, I would have to disagree. If you can file a chain, I would run a full chisel chain and keep it sharp. If you don't know how to file, buy a file guide and learn how. It's the best saw upgrade you can make.

Its also the MOST important upgrade you'll EVER get for a saw, without a sharp chain, your saw will just not cut well if at all, and thus wear out the saw faster. Then next thing you know, bang new saw on the shopping list.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

SasquatchMan

I was thinking of the micro chains, actually, with smaller teeth and a smaller kerf = less wood removal per tooth = less work that the saw is being asked to do in any particular cut.

I realize that having a properly sharpened FC chain is actually more efficient, power-wise, than a safety or semi-chisel chain.  All the same, they take a lot more wood than the micros I've seen.  (I spent the day cutting firewood with a friend who had an 017 for limbing with a chain about half the size of the RS on my saw).
Senior Member?  That's funny.

Stan

My 51 came with an 18" bar, runs just as good as the old one with a 16" bar. I don't see why a 55 wouldn't do better.
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Thank You Sponsors!