iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Low Impact Logging- 3pt Winch Decision

Started by labradorguy, April 29, 2018, 01:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

labradorguy

Hey Guys.... I am trying to decide on which winch to purchase. I am looking at either a Uniforest 85M or a Farmi JL61. I'm wanting to make a decision soon and was just curious if anyone had any feedback on either one. Thanks.

Ford_man

I have a uniforest 30 The one thing I don't like is the angle  of the PTO If you raise it up with the pto engaged it will break the shaft at universal. I have broke it 2 times. Other than that it is a good winch. It would be better if it had a hydrolic drive.

John Mc

Quote from: Ford_man on April 29, 2018, 02:20:08 PM
I have a uniforest 30 The one thing I don't like is the angle  of the PTO If you raise it up with the pto engaged it will break the shaft at universal. I have broke it 2 times. Other than that it is a good winch. It would be better if it had a hydrolic drive.
The larger Uniforest winches do not have such a large angle on the PTO shafts.
I have the 35E (predecessor to the 35M) it does have a fairly large angle on the PTO shaft, but it has not been a problem in the 10 years or so that I've owned it. Did you get your PTO shaft cut down to the correct length?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

John Mc

Labradorguy -  I've owned a Uniforest 35E for about 10 years now. The only problem I have had is a kinked cable (not the winch's fault), and a sticking brake release latch (which was solved with a little lube).

When I was shopping for a winch, I was trying to decide between a Uniforest 35E and a Farmi 351. The specs are almost identical. I ended up with the Uniforest because at the time it cost significantly less. I do like the design of the Farmi a bit better, and there is a local dealer who is great for support. The Uniforest has been adequate for my needs, but if I had it to do over again, I would probably buy the Farmi.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Riwaka

Might want to get a sand flag or two to mark a place to put down the remote control (if you get the remote control unit version) so if you put the rc unit down in the brush(and do not misplace the unit) while you trim with a chainsaw, unchain logs, answer the sat phone etc
 http://farmiforest.fi/product/farmi-jl-61/

chubby

Have a look at the KRPAN. Similar to the Eco-Forest. They actually made the Eco-Forest in the beginning. 
Prices are cheaper too. 

labradorguy

Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it.

DDW_OR

Get the Uniforest it has a Removable trailer hitch.

have you thought of the Wallenstein winch

wish my Farmi JL501 had one.
then i could tow a trailer into the woods to haul back the logs on.
"let the machines do the work"

John Mc

Quote from: DDW_OR on April 30, 2018, 04:37:05 PM
Get the Uniforest it has a Removable trailer hitch.

have you thought of the Wallenstein winch

wish my Farmi JL501 had one.
then i could tow a trailer into the woods to haul back the logs on.
I've seen hitches added to a Farmi 351 and a Farmi 501. Unfortunately, I did not look closely at how they did it. I know it involved some welding, and if I recall correctly, it was a 2" receiver, so they could remove the ball and insert if it was in the way.

However, I do agree - it's a shame this is not a factory option on an otherwise top-of-the-line winch.

DDW_OR

there is a bolt-on 2 inch receiver hitch option for the Farmi 501. do not know how much $$

John Mc

Quote from: DDW_OR on May 01, 2018, 10:52:46 PM
there is a bolt-on 2 inch receiver hitch option for the Farmi 501. do not know how much $$
Where did you find this?
I could not find that on the Farmi web site. I looked when I saw your earlier post.

labradorguy

I'm leaning towards the Uniforest. A few thousand more pull and I like the way the design protects the whole rear end of the tractor. I've heard a lot of good things about the Farmis, but I can't seem to get any info on them. No pricing and no local dealers. That bugs me a bit.... 

thecfarm

I would not be concerned about dealer support.
I have a Norse,and worked it hard for 4 years,big pine. Three feet across was normal. Now I just do my firewood,but use it alot. Never had a bit of trouble with it. I think they are all the same.
Never pull at a sharp angle,you will roll the tractor over. Set brakes and put the loader down,each and every time. Watch the log and the tractor. Logs stops but cable still moving,that means the tractor is not on 4 wheels!!! 
I am always talking about short chains. I finally made some up,4 foot ones,and those get used more than the 8 foot chains. I run 6 chokers and a hook on the end. Sometimes all 7 are used,sometimes only one is used.  All the chockers comes in handy when I have wood to get here and there. I can stop 7 times and pick up 7 trees.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DDW_OR

Quote from: John Mc on May 01, 2018, 11:55:59 PM
Quote from: DDW_OR on May 01, 2018, 10:52:46 PM
Where did you find this?
I could not find that on the Farmi web site. I looked when I saw your earlier post.
i found out about it when i was researching stroke harvesters.
i can not find it on the Farmi web site either.
in this photo i use one of the choker chains to tow my ATV, after i ratchet the tool box to the ATV

Pat Del Monte

Quote from: labradorguy on April 29, 2018, 01:34:55 PM
Hey Guys.... I am trying to decide on which winch to purchase. I am looking at either a Uniforest 85M or a Farmi JL61. I'm wanting to make a decision soon and was just curious if anyone had any feedback on either one. Thanks.
I just purchased a Norse 450. Supposed to be here this Friday. L let you know how it is in a few weeks

thecfarm

You will like it. I like the pivoting butt plate and the higher pulley. We had some big pine here. On some of the brands the pulley was low and it would just about get the log off the ground.
Welcome to the forum.
Whatcha got for a tractor? HP?

mike_belben

Its a shame none of the major manufacturers have incorporated multiple height fairlead locations.  Ive done high low medium on two projects now and use all 3 positions on both. 

There is a balancing act between getting the butts as high as possible without flipping the machine.  The higher the fairlead the tippier it is.  But the easier the log will slide. 
Praise The Lord

Pat Del Monte

Just bought a new Kioti NX 6010.  60 hp hydro with a 60" wicked root RAKE grapple. Trucking company just called today. Winch coming tomorrow morning. I just sold my ancient two legged farmi. I traded in a Kubota B3200. This Kioti is 3X everything 

thecfarm

Grapple on the front,winch on the back,60hp in between.  8)  

I could use a grapple,but at only 40hp,I feel it's not quite big enough.

John Mc

Quote from: thecfarm on June 27, 2018, 04:49:54 PM
I could use a grapple,but at only 40hp,I feel it's not quite big enough.
I've kept my forestry equipment on the small side. I've got a forestry grapple on my NH TC33D. Fortunately, the grapple only weighs as much as the bucket it replaced (one of several reasons I went with the Forestry grapple, rather than some other designs). Having worked with the grapple, I feel the same way about it as I do about my logging winch: I don;t know how I ever got along without it.
Yes, I sometimes wish I had more lift capacity (even though the Woods 1012 loader I have on it will handle more than the stock NH loader they were selling at the time). I probably should have gone for the TC40 back when I was tractor shopping. Since I'm not doing this for a living, I get by just fine with my smaller tractor, it just takes a bit longer. On the upside, I can get into places that I couldn't with a larger tractor, and my neighbor has a ~50HP JD that he lets me use when I need something bigger.

Thank You Sponsors!