iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

After the sanity check!

Started by Satamax, August 16, 2017, 04:42:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teakwood

Quote from: mike_belben on June 01, 2018, 08:43:18 AM
My buddy TJ runs a 3pt grapple.  I think he said this was 30 some foot.  A loader makes a huge difference, as does getting a scoop of ballast in it.

:o :o you definitively convinced me mike! 
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

mike_belben

Yeah, front heavy is important in a skidder.  With many tons of weight on the rear tires, and lugs the size of your arm, spinning wont be possible sometimes so naturally a wheelie or a broken component comes next. 

I just looked back at my text.  He said its a 24" bar and a 35 to 40ft stem.  Successfully pulled it to the landing, flat ground.  Id say thats maxed out for sure.  
Praise The Lord

Satamax

I have started to work on the flanged yoke on the transfer case side. 

But for the other side. I am kind of stumped. The 1.5 inch six splines on the winch side bothers me. 

I don't know what to do with it. 

Get it out, shave the splines, weld a 1 3/8 adapter. Go for a 1 3/4? Get a splined sleeve machined? 

Well, i'm having a faith crisis, lack of faith in my skills and my resolution. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Satamax

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

mike_belben

Do you plan to skid logs up that hill!?  
Praise The Lord

Satamax

Not really. 

This is an access road. We haven't had any logging down there for a while, may be ten years. Or more. I have two trees above, which i need to get. But not without the winch. But this is a simple path, we get far more complicated skidding trails. 

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

teakwood

X2. Wow. What were you doing there?? did you slide of the trail?
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

mike_belben

Quote from: teakwood on June 10, 2018, 11:21:25 AM
What were you doing there?? 
He was thinking about how to build a tilt cab and chained up bogies!
Praise The Lord

Satamax

Quote from: teakwood on June 10, 2018, 11:21:25 AM
X2. Wow. What were you doing there?? did you slide of the trail?
Thanks a lot for your replies guys. 
Yep Mike, roll cage time one of those days. Teakwood, this was a looney trip. Going up there just for fun, with a friend. See if we could, as the trail is narrow. Thankfully, we hadn't boozed. 
Since the wheels are all directional, i wanted to go back to the right of the track, and obviously, the back of the thing went to the left, into the grass, and it's steep, try to get back on the road, and the back was going more and more on the grass,front axle went on some brush stumps, and lifted the front right tire. the left one going in the incline. The cab was leaning against some carpinus brush. Only thing i had, was the cable; so i did a sort of pendulum slide with it, between two trees, so i could back safely, this is what the video shows. Well, we didn't have to call anybody for help. Which is a good thing. 

Satamax

Quote from: Satamax on May 16, 2018, 01:56:29 PM
Liteul progress!

Now, it need a fairlead, a PTO, a fairlead support. An hydraulic pump. New batteries.
Guys, an idiotic question, it's a doozer winch. Originally. How do i attach this to my machine. I can have pretty much all the steel i want. I beams, C beams. There is a plate at the back, with plenty of holes. But not much underneath. I know i need to make a fake chassis. Or do you call that sub frame? 
Thanks a lot guys. 

mike_belben

Build a big "headache rack" and bolt it to chassis with stout triangulated bracing.  Put safety cage in between to catch broken cable. 
Praise The Lord

Satamax

Thanks Mike. 

Well, i think i see what you mean. But would you have a few pics from the net to show me? 

Thanks a lot. 

mike_belben

Post up an image of the mounting bolts on the winch and ill draw something up that will hopefully help give you some ideas
Praise The Lord

Satamax

mike_belben

Would something like this work?

Praise The Lord

Satamax

Thanks a lot Mike, for all you do for me. 

That's pretty much what i was thinking. I would like the winch to sit as low as possible. But that's no prob. The only problem i see, is the gusset triangles, i think i need something beefier. I need to calculate. the loads and pulling stresses one the welds. I understand now what you said about a headache rack. I should double the winch support with a sort of roll cage. Actually, i didn't think of doing this, this way. But makes perfect sense. 

Thanks again. 

james

reminds me of the MB-4 Coleman aircraft tug we used in the Air Force
james

Satamax

They-ve been used as aircraft tugs, train pushers, snow blowers or clearer with a v blade. Forestry tractors, post setters etc. 

I've checked  MB-4 Coleman aircraft tug and true, there is some looking exactly like this. 

mike_belben

Yeah you can make your brackets however you need to get the winch down low and reduce that pto shaft angle.  You may also want to set it more rearward in the cradle for better weight balance and a longer pto shaft.  

The big diagonal line from roller down toward frame corner is supposed to be a brace i just scribbled on.   Im sure youll come up with something good.  Make the headache rack bigger than the cab and it can be the base for a cage, and the primary spot to mount your toolbox, saws, lights, extinguisher/water can, chokers and chains etc etc.  This way when you do roll none of that stuff is in the cab smashing you to pieces. 
Praise The Lord

Satamax

Hi everybody. 

Well, asking myself technical questions again. 

The input shaft of the winch is 1.5" six splines. , with a 1/2" hole across it for a pin. I wonder; wouldn't it be clever to just make the drive of the winch around this splined shaft, round, with no splines. And use the 1/2" pin to drive it and as a shear pin, to protect the winch? 

To drag 10 tons on the lowest layer, i need 330 kg or 726 lbs, resistance at the shearing planes, to power the winch. 

1/2" rod, is 126 mm², and i know it can easily cope with 5 kg/mm² So a half inch rod can cope with 630 kg per shearing plane, 1260 total. That's plenty. 

So i think i don't have to bother myself dealing with that dang 1.5 splined shaft! 

What would you say? 

Thanks. 

Crusarius

I would be concerned about wallowing the hole out and breaking the splined shaft. The problem with a round hole through a round shaft is the edge of the hole is very thin. Once it starts to crack or tear it doesn't take much to finish it off. It will tear its just a matter of time.

mike_belben

Itll work.  I piggybacked a hydraulic pump onto the back of a hydrostatic fan shaft using a rollpin to keep the lovejoy from spinning.  Maybe a 3/16 rollpin and its handled 14hp or so, never sheared.  

A 5/8 bolt will tow and panic stop a 14k trailer, so you arent breaking a half inch bolt in that aplication.  My huge forklift chain uses a pair 5/16 to fixed the chains at each end.  

You may want to start with 1/2" threaded rod.. Something soft to get a feel for the load.  Shattering the spline output would really stink.  Otoh if it does shear the debris may eat up your splines.  You want those pieces free to eject.
Praise The Lord

Crusarius

Double jamb nuts on each end will be good for that. that way they only have 1 way to go.

mike_belben

True.  And add some mass to help them fly out.  
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!