iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky 55

Started by ChrisN, October 09, 2004, 02:11:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisN

Hi all

Just got my Husky 55 back from the dealer who replaced something called a plunger (?) to get the chain oiler working again. The dealer made the comment that the saw was getting old and worn and it would not be worth spending any more money on. Specifically he stated that the compression was low. I've measured it as 110 lbs hot (and 130 cold - is that normal?).  The saw still starts and runs ok although the idle is a bit erratic. Assuming the compression is lower than ideal, is it possible to replace just the rings?  I haven't been inside one of these yet but I have rebuilt 2-stroke motorbike engines in the past. At the prices the shop charges for labour, I'll be doing any more repairs myself!   Any thoughts on keeping this oldie going as long as possible?

Chris
Chris

DanManofStihl

I would say that you need to replace the whole set up if you just replace the rings it will run but not for that long after words then you will have to replace the whole thing rings piston and cylinder might as well do it all at once. Or maybe breakdown and get another 55 they are not that expensive compare to how much it cost to replace all of that stuff. Just my 2 cents
Two Things in life to be proud of a good wife and a good saw.

jokers

I have to disagree with Dan, the 55 is a good candidate for a ring job however with your erratic idle I would also be looking at the crank seals, but they aren`t a large expense.

I`ve re-ringed quite a few saws, even saws that were lean seized. Typically the cylinder only needs replacement after a few re-rings or if it has scoring deep enough to catch a fingernail dragged across it. I don`t even hone the cylinder in most cases but if you do, remember to use ONLY a ball hone and one which is approximately 10% smaller diameter than the bore to prevent catching the edges of the ports. Also use the hone very judiciously to prevent removing the plating.

When you put the whole thing back together, keep in mind that the cylinder bolts should be evenly "cross hatch" torqued to between 7 and 10 ft/lbs, not very much force involved.

If you find yourself in need of a top end kit which includes a new piston, rings, clips, cylinder, and maybe even a wrist pin depending on the application, try Jeff Sikkema at //www.snssawshop.com . He has very good quality aftermarket kits for many saws including the 55, normally in the neighborhood of $100 and change. You might also find the price of the OEM rings to be equivalent to a significant portion of his price for the whole kit. I know that he can get just the rings in some cases so he would be worth a call.

Russ

ChrisN

Thanks Dan and Joker for replies.  Plenty to think about there. Being downunder (Australia) makes getting parts at reasonable prices a bit more difficult. Not sure that the crankshaft seals are a problem yet - no sign of that in the exhaust fumes as yet (compared with some motorbike engines I've worked on).   I'll see how it behaves over the next few months and decide which way to go.

I wonder how old my saw is - serial number is 3171283.

Chris
Chris

Jackal

Hello,
I had the same problem about a month ago. Check out the story on my husky 55 .I think the story is on page 2.

Later,
Jackal

ChrisN

Thanks Jackal - I certainly did read your story; that's what set me thinking.  That's what I like about these forums - lots of good information if you go digging.

Chris
Chris

Thank You Sponsors!