iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Felling wedges. Which brand is best

Started by Bthomasb3, March 04, 2019, 08:41:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wyologging

I order from Madsens in Washington. I prefer K&H. I prefer the 8, 10, and 12 inchers. The madsens brand wedges also have good lift and taper. 

OutPost

I've had good luck with Timber Savage toothed wedges. Subzero they haven't shattered & stay put. I fall limb & top, then block out & hand split right where the trees hit so my Fiskars splitting axe is always handy for driving.
A boy is born. A man is forged. Stand. Be counted.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

clww

I've got at least a dozen that I bought at Northern more than a decade ago. I don't get to use them much anymore, but they're worth what I paid I think.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Frickman

I usually used whatever the local saw shop had in stock.  I really liked the red head wedges and an all red one,  I forget the brand name of it.  The orange ones were always too soft.  The all red ones are kind of brittle, the like to break in the middle if you don't hit them square.  I kept a couple of old fashioned iron/steel wedges on the skidder too.  The kind you use for splitting firewood.  Those I would sometimes use on large diameter trees when I needed extra lift and didn't want to stack plastic ones.  
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

rjwoelk

Felling wedges are around $6+ for 5 inch  $12 for 8 inch. 
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Stephen Alford

These are the wedges in the tool box on the tractor.

I try to spend a couple hours touching up the saws etc every Friday.  That includes touching up the wedges with a grinder. Makes a difference.  The splitting wedge,third down gives 2" of lift. The 2 lb head I put on the fiberglass handle works great. Saves my "good" axe  ;)  This is the odd ball ...tend to use it at the landing when need be.

logon

Lyndaker

I definitely prefer plastic but haven't put much science into it. It also depends on tree size what wedges work best. I am mostly cutting smaller soft wood which means a long wedge doesn't have enough room and gets cut by the saw. I find toothed wedges help to prevent kick out when using the smaller sizes or pounding 2 in simultaneously  so neither has lots of pressure. 

teakwood

Are there small wedges (5.5") out there with less taper? i couldn't find nothing. i have 5.5" one inch lift wedges and sometimes they won't bite and fly out of the cut when hit. i work on smaller but heavy and dense trees.

or does a 8" less lift wedge exist?
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

ehp

I have been using the ones that are red and white . I break a lot of wedges and if its cold out I break just about everything else . I seem to break a lot of axe handles as well . Never from a miss hit they just donot like how hard I swing the axe I guess

Jwswan

Another vote for the redheads.  They also stack far better than any others I've used. 
Keep 'em guessin'.

Riwaka

High molecular weight plastic wedges.  (8 and 10 inch lengths)

https://forest-tek.com/wedgetek/

Silverfoxfintry

I make up my own from Oak Barrel Staves.  As hard as Nails and cost me only Time. When I think about it, they are probably American Oak. We reuse Burbon Barrels to mature Whiskey.

Skeans1

Thank You Sponsors!