iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blue spruce roots

Started by brianJ, October 29, 2017, 05:39:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianJ

Do they have a tap root?   How far do the roots spread out?     Is it feasable to pull out a stump with a farm tractor?   or more accurately what size stump may a 100 hp four wheel drive pull out?

PA_Walnut

Roots go out about as far as the limbs, and yes there's a tap root.
Do your self a favor (ask how I know  :-\) and push the tree over BEFORE cutting it or leave a good amount for leverage in pushing over the stump.

The first one I cut about 1 foot off the ground and it took me about 2 hours to dig it out with my backhoe.  >:(

Second time I dug for <10 minutes, reached my bucket up hight and pushed it right over. WAY WAY easier.

Good luck.
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

DDW_OR

yep, dig the ground on at lease two adjoining sides, then push.

I use a 3 foot long ripper tooth on the Excavator. 

since it sounds like you want the roots then how about using a high pressure water hose, maybe a fire hose?  dig a drainage ditch, then water blast the roots.
"let the machines do the work"

brianJ

Thank You guys.    I got 6 blue Spruce growing in a field the boss just bought and they are in the way.    Cutting them down just leaves stumps in the way so not really helpful.   Sounds like a 4 wheel drive tractor and a well used chain with the Husky can take care of it. 

or thats my plan.

Thank You Sponsors!