iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got into some more nice walnut this week

Started by 123maxbars, September 27, 2017, 03:39:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

Going through my walnut timber and found a real nice log. This one came from a creek bank on a TN Farm last year. Made for some really nice 8/4 slabs.
As usual I videoed the days sawing,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKUEjDOY0c4
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

jwade

nicely done as always. i always enjoy. thank you

YellowHammer

Nice log and video.
Here's an unsolicted observation, take it what it's worth. I'm just throwing this out there as it caught my eye.

A lot of times, as soon as I saw the stress in in that first cut (you mentioned it in the first slab and I always look for it anyway, especially in walnut) and assuming it was not caused by a high sapwood margin (I couldn't tell from the video) I would have immediatly rotated 90° and oriented the stress to behave as crook instead of bow for the succeeding cuts of wood.  Crook is easily cleaned up later, and insures a flatter drying board with minimal bow, which in turn produces a flatter full length slab with minimal face jointing required, or worse yet, later crosscutting the slab in half to correct the bow.  The downside is this "rotation out of the stress" technique is that it yields single edge slabs, instead of double live edge.  However, they will be high quality and dry much flatter, and we have found most customers that want a wide, live edge table, will ask us to edge one edge of double live edge slab anyway.
This type of sawing pattern will yield all one edged, live edge, and also make sure all boards stay well away from the pith, and so insures less cup and no pith cracks or pith stress.

I don't mill them all this way, but definitely the ones that get attitude and "bow up" on me. :D

Anyway, just a different way of cutting the same log

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

123maxbars

Quote from: YellowHammer on September 27, 2017, 05:29:27 PM
Nice log and video.
Here's an unsolicted observation, take it what it's worth. I'm just throwing this out there as it caught my eye.

A lot of times, as soon as I saw the stress in in that first cut (you mentioned it in the first slab and I always look for it anyway, especially in walnut) and assuming it was not caused by a high sapwood margin (I couldn't tell from the video) I would have immediatly rotated 90° and oriented the stress to behave as crook instead of bow for the succeeding cuts of wood.  Crook is easily cleaned up later, and insures a flatter drying board with minimal bow, which in turn produces a flatter full length slab with minimal face jointing required, or worse yet, later crosscutting the slab in half to correct the bow.  The downside is this "rotation out of the stress" technique is that it yields single edge slabs, instead of double live edge.  However, they will be high quality and dry much flatter, and we have found most customers that want a wide, live edge table, will ask us to edge one edge of double live edge slab anyway.
This type of sawing pattern will yield all one edged, live edge, and also make sure all boards stay well away from the pith, and so insures less cup and no pith cracks or pith stress.

I don't mill them all this way, but definitely the ones that get attitude and "bow up" on me. :D

Anyway, just a different way of cutting the same log

Thanks Robert I will keep this in mind, Funny that walnut usually behaves for me, poplar is the worse up here for stress.
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

OffGrid973

Great video...have hickory on now and just had 9 black locust dropped to close out and order, jealous you get to see grain, I just keep wiping dust for posts.
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

YellowHammer

Yeah, poplar can be bad too, but with walnut slabs at $15 per bdft, I spend a little extra effort on them. :D

Poplar seems to straighten some as it dries, walnut and cherry get worse. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Delawhere Jack

Nice walnut! I live for sawing logs like that.   ;)

Part of that really nice color is probably due to letting the logs age for a 1 1/2 years. The heartwood definitely mellow in color over time. More browns and reddish browns than the purple-brown in a fresh walnut log.

I've always been curious why yellow poplar often has so much tension. Dead straight logs that grew almost perfectly vertical, yet it's full of tension.  ??? Go figure...

Kbeitz

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on September 28, 2017, 08:04:20 PM
Nice walnut! I live for sawing logs like that.   ;)

Part of that really nice color is probably due to letting the logs age for a 1 1/2 years. The heartwood definitely mellow in color over time. More browns and reddish browns than the purple-brown in a fresh walnut log.

I've always been curious why yellow poplar often has so much tension. Dead straight logs that grew almost perfectly vertical, yet it's full of tension.  ??? Go figure...

The walnut I cut today had some green in it... Or greenish tint...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!