iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Healthy Respect for the timber indusrty

Started by ehernandez, August 24, 2011, 08:07:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ehernandez

I have just recently become involved in the logging and timber industry but unlike most of you I am an American Living in Colombia SA.  I have become associated with a company that harvests and mills teak for export and domestic use.  I decided to go out with the crews when they were cutting and I gained a healthy respect for what thee guys were doing.

I would like to hear from you about  dangers of this industry in NA and the safety procedures you use to reduce the hazard. I can probably use them here

submarinesailor

Decked

Quote from: submarinesailor on August 24, 2011, 09:12:35 AM
Three words:  "Game of Logging"

http://www.gameoflogging.com/training.php

Bruce

I trained with Soren Erikkson in the late 80's. Most fun I ever had, and....the Stihl 044 Soren sold me still runs great!

mad murdock

welcome ehernandez to the forestry forum!  You have come to the right place for good information.  My list for safety in the woods is, don't get in a hurry, think things through, take advantage of modern safety equipment (chainsaw chaps, boots, gloves, etc), and don't be afraid to ask any question at all.  The only dumb questions are the ones that don't get asked!  There are too many ways to count, as to how one can get killed maimed or hurt working in the woods, new ways are being discovered every day!  Work smart and stay safe!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

lumberjack48

Respect what your doing at all times and you'll be safe, no amount of training can train you for what these crazy trees will do. After 30 yrs of falling you'd think I'd seen it all, every time you grab your saw and head for the bush its a new experience, you have to be ready for the on expected at all times.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Bobus2003

Quote from: ehernandez on August 24, 2011, 08:07:19 AM
I have just recently become involved in the logging and timber industry but unlike most of you I am an American Living in Colombia SA.  I have become associated with a company that harvests and mills teak for export and domestic use.  I decided to go out with the crews when they were cutting and I gained a healthy respect for what thee guys were doing.

I would like to hear from you about  dangers of this industry in NA and the safety procedures you use to reduce the hazard. I can probably use them here

Update to a mechanical operation.. Feller Buncher, Grapple Skidder, Delimber

Thank You Sponsors!