iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chickens!

Started by ozarkgem, May 12, 2014, 08:40:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tam-i-am

goose63 - yes we let the hawk enjoy its catch and move on.

a broody hen will collect eggs to make a clutch. I have never seen them move them but find broken eggs every now and then.

here's what I found to discourage broody behavior:
broody hen will stop laying and instead will focus on the incubation of the eggs (a full clutch is usually about 12 eggs). She will "sit" or "set" on the nest, protesting or pecking in defense if disturbed or removed, and she will rarely leave the nest to eat, drink, or dust-bathe. While brooding, the hen maintains the nest at a constant temperature and humidity, as well as turning the eggs regularly during the first part of the incubation. To stimulate broodiness, an owner may place many artificial eggs in the nest, or to stop it they may place the hen in an elevated cage with an open wire floor.

Good luck!
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

drobertson

We lost our only, and first hatched chick, the little chick got a nick on her neck, and the others, even the brood hen pecked it to near death before we got to it.  It later died, what a pain, I need a better nursery for sure, lessons learned every day.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!