iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Today's happy customer

Started by Jim_Rogers, January 27, 2019, 02:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

This will be a fun thread.... I hope your okay after the fall
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

DPatton

Jim,

You need an outhouse at your mill site so you don't have to take your cleats off. ;)

TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: AZ_builder on February 16, 2019, 06:18:59 PM
Jim, the customer with the teak, what do you charge for a small mill job like that? There isn't many Mills in my area and I've never had anything done (I chainsaw mill) I do have small jobs like that I'd like to have done. Just curious. Thanks.
by the hour. he expected to pay me for a full hour at my previous rate of $75 but as it only took me 6 minutes, four of which we were talking about what he wanted, I only charged him $20
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Jim_Rogers

As we mentioned in the other thread, it's easier to just swap boots then to take the cleats on and off a set of boots. And I did that.
To put the cleats on it is easier to do it with the boots off.
And an outhouse at the mill will most likely be coming soon.
Jim Rogers

thecfarm

Another member will ship one to you.  :D
All looks good. I even have ice issue around here. ::)  Some are my own doing,as I suppose yours might be. I drive the tractor in the same place and it packs down the snow. Than things melt a little and the grooves fiil in with water and freezes. But just packing it down makes it bad too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jim_Rogers

Yesterday's happy customer came over to pick up a single short piece of natural edge white pine board in the middle of a snow storm.
It was 1 inch by 10 inch by 18 inches for a sign over his natural edge home bar.

Thanks Mark
Jim Rogers
ps the white dots on his jacket were falling snow flakes 

Jim_Rogers

Today's happy customer came buy to pick up a piece of oak for a mantle. It is in their truck 4x8x61 1/2".
They were happy and gave me a very nice tip.

I cut a second mantle from the same log for another customer.
4x8x6' with a natural edge.

He should be here Monday to pick it up.

Jim Rogers

Magicman

I believe "happy" because all of your customers are smiling.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jim_Rogers

I do usually ask them to give me a thumb's up if they are happy.

Jim Rogers

Woodpecker52

Better for you to slip than the customer :o
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Crossroads

With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Jim_Rogers

Today's happy customer got into his truck and was driving away when I remembered I needed a snap shot.
Well, anyway he got a 4" thick x 10" wide by 6' long one natural edge red oak mantle, fresh cut green.

He was happy once he understood what a natural edge was, as he couldn't figure it out over the phone or even with a texted picture of his piece.

And I have to say, yesterday's customers where not too happy. The wanted something that I didn't have. But I told them they could most likely get it from A&P sawmill in NH. And to call Pete Drouin and ask him first before they drove up there to see him.
They said they were going to try some more local places to see if they could find what they wanted.
They wanted some dry white pine 2x10x12s that were still white as fresh sawn. I told them that most likely they could find dry wood but it difficult to say if it is still white as fresh sawn wood.

Jim Rogers

WV Sawmiller

Jim,

My white pine tends to turn a little yellow or reddish when it dries. I never learned the trick of keeping it white during the drying process. If you learn how to do that let me know how. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Mossy Chariot

Hey Jim - That's a pretty short mantle!!!!   :D :D  :D
Tony B
LT35HD, Riehl Edger, Woodmaster 725 Planer/Molder, Nyle 53 Drying Kiln, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, T750 Bobcat, E50 Excavator, Kubota 3450, Wallenstein Skidding Winch, Vermeer BC1250 Chipper, Stihl 250 & 460, Can-Am Defender

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Mossey Chariot on March 12, 2019, 05:26:20 PM
Hey Jim - That's a pretty short mantle!!!!   :D :D  :D
typo of course

Peter Drouin

Well, Pete only has 1"x 10 x12' in w Pine. All the 2" and up is in Hemlock.  ;D

Hi Jim,  smiley_wavy
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

AZ_builder

Jim, I love the happy customers! I notice your only posting the happy ones? I would hope all your customers are happy but is this all the business you get? Or are there other customers that don't make it to this post? Only reason I'm asking, you don't have daily happy customers. Do you have daily business? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to see how sawmilling and income work.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: AZ_builder on March 12, 2019, 09:24:22 PM
I notice your only posting the happy ones? I would hope all your customers are happy but is this all the business you get?
No there are other customers sometimes.

QuoteDo you have daily business?
No not every day. But many come on weekends.
Since last May I have been listing different pieces of wood on Facebook market place for sale. Many of these happy customers are market place sales. Some of them are people who call up and ask if I can cut some thing for them and if I can I usually do.
Current stats are 135 pieces of lumber sold with a gross of over $2400 just through marketplace since June 19th, 2018
I currently have 38 pieces of white pine and 18 pieces of red oak listed for sale on marketplace.
I am happy with the cash flow from marketplace sales.
And what is also happening is that they call or text me, that "this stuff is great, but can you do this for me instead?"
So, not only am I selling the stuff I have listed but I get custom orders for other stuff as well.
Jim Rogers

Jim_Rogers

Today's happy customer called and said he'd be right over. I told him I'd be going out to lunch soon and he said he'd be there long before lunchtime. He showed up at 1:30pm But he got two 1x6's for making bird houses. Thanks August.

And as some of you want to know about other customers. I got a call from a boat builder wanting a 22' piece of white oak for a keel. I had to turn him down, no white oak here that long or that good.

Jim Rogers

Old Greenhorn

What dimensions did he want that white oak? I have a few that can come down, but I suppose he wanted dried anyway. Not sure how I would get it up to you though, and I am not quite sure where you are in MA.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

Jim, I am not seeing the thumbs up but he looks like he is on a mission! :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on March 15, 2019, 07:33:42 PM
What dimensions did he want that white oak?
I didn't write anything down after he said 22' in length, so I don't know or remember.
Jim Rogers

Jim_Rogers

Today's happy customers were Warren and his wife Nancy who came down from ME to pick up some very nice clear pine boards that I had for sale. All 1" thick and various widths from 8" to 20" wide, most were 12' long. Thanks Warren and Nancy.

Nancy is giving me the thumbs up but you can barely see it because she still had her gloves on.
Warren was busy counting out the money.

Jim Rogers

WV Sawmiller

Forget Nancy - keep your eye on warren. :D :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

richhiway

that is a pretty long ride for some pine. even if it was clear!
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Thank You Sponsors!