iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WellandportRob

A couple of the larger ones we tackled this year.

2016 Wood-Mizer LT40HG 35 , Alaskan MKIII 60", Chev Duramax, Anderson logging trailer. Lucas DSM 23-19.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

Those are sure 'nuff hunks of wood!  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Lawg Dawg

2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

WDH

Quote from: Lawg Dawg on October 07, 2018, 12:00:15 PM
I never tried sticking one in a planer...was afraid they might fly apart, but your results look really good!
With my 20" spiral head planer with the carbide inserts, I have planed a whack of them green.  Works good.  However, after you are done with the cookies, you need to plane some dry lumber to get any moisture out of the planer and the dust collection system.  They plane nice and do not fly apart.  I would not try it with an knife planer. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WellandportRob

Those slabs are cut at 16/4 and 71" across.  1000lbs each, not sure who's floor will be able to handle those tables

2016 Wood-Mizer LT40HG 35 , Alaskan MKIII 60", Chev Duramax, Anderson logging trailer. Lucas DSM 23-19.

thecfarm

Sugar maple and evergreen bows. :o   I wonder how many at the wedding caught that. It does look good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Resonator

That's the look the bride wanted, and all I heard were compliments. (She liked the evergreen "Christmas smell"). The reception had an outdoor theme, as the exchange of vows earlier in the day was on a wooden footbridge across a creek back in the woods, with the fall leaves as a backdrop. 
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Darrel

Quote from: curved-wood on October 07, 2018, 07:56:45 AM
Quote from: Gagnon Mountain on October 06, 2018, 07:16:39 PM

I sawed my first logs today!  

Ha! ha! you got the sawdust addiction  :) The nice thing is that it is legal but there is no therapy to get out... yet.
No therapy but there is an online support group known as Forestryforum.com 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Lawg Dawg

Probably be awhile before I'm sawing these! I'm just glad the long leafs I planted 15 years ago are finally having babies  8)

John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

nativewolf

Just a thought for you lawg dog, that sandy soil you've got.  Is it 10 feet to clay or 50?  If it is deep clay you're LLP are going to respond really really well to very light fertilizer treatments.  The response on Lob plantations is pretty good but longleaf also respond really well, you have to do it during the growing season as there are not chemical attachment points in that silicone based sandy soil.  If you don't rake the straw you'll also find faster growth.  If you do rake you definitely want to start fertilizer treatments, not much, something the kids can do with a push spreader, I would have to look up the load rates but start playing with it and see what happens.  Mostly N but a bit of P & K.  

Nice photo, good to see trees and dad with young ones.  
Liking Walnut

Magicman

Longleafs are really neat trees but they seem to have a mind of their own.  I had some that took a couple of years to break out of the "candle".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ellmoe

Quote from: Magicman on October 08, 2018, 07:38:49 AM
Longleafs are really neat trees but they seem to have a mind of their own.  I had some that took a couple of years to break out of the "candle".

That's normal. As you probably know, a control burn can stimulate them out of the "grass stage". Long leaf my favorite pine lumber, but not my favorite to saw!
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Magicman

I agree.  I hate to admit it but it probably is my least favorite to actually saw.  Sawing a cookie off of the ends is normal to remove the sap/sand concrete and a "full flow" is normal to prevent blade buildup.  :-\  But the lumber is beautiful.

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: nativewolf on October 08, 2018, 07:11:08 AM
Just a thought for you lawg dog, that sandy soil you've got.  Is it 10 feet to clay or 50?  If it is deep clay you're LLP are going to respond really really well to very light fertilizer treatments.  The response on Lob plantations is pretty good but longleaf also respond really well, you have to do it during the growing season as there are not chemical attachment points in that silicone based sandy soil.  If you don't rake the straw you'll also find faster growth.  If you do rake you definitely want to start fertilizer treatments, not much, something the kids can do with a push spreader, I would have to look up the load rates but start playing with it and see what happens.  Mostly N but a bit of P & K.  

Nice photo, good to see trees and dad with young ones.  
Our clay is DEEP here.  Very sandy for a long way down.  We do rake these once a year and have been for the last 5 years or so.  I have a lot of bare spots in this 16 acres of LLP where the trees died, really before they got out of the ground good.  I'm going to try replanting the bare spots this winter, and probably start some fertilizing this spring.  It's definitely something I enjoy doing.  I've even had some success starting them from seed.

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

SawyerTed

Setting up to quarter saw red oak tomorrow.  

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Crusarius

Cut my first hickory on monday. Wow that stuff is hard. Amazing what a fresh new blade will do.

Lawg Dawg

Some poplar live edge slabs sawed 9/4" , these are not to bad to handle this size.

Sawyer Ted, do you use the, highly prized, Clear anchorseal?

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

SawyerTed

I do use clear anchor seal.  Those logs were cut Friday so I've not sealed them yet.  There are 3 or 4 high school boys that come around two or three days a week wanting something to do.  Sealing logs and lumber is one of the things they do for me.  They will be sealed this afternoon either as logs or as lumber.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Magicman

Nice Tulip Dawg. ;)

Ted, that musta been a yard tree as limby as it was?

SawyerTed

Magicman, actually that the tree was in a wooded area that was developed in the last 5 years.  So the tree spent most of its life as a forest tree.  The section lifted by the tow truck is the third log up.  I have a request for an oak slab and thought that third log would offer some interesting figure.

The other two logs on the trailer are not nearly so knotty.

Crossroads

Wow! Those are some serious walnut slabs.....

With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Lko67

My first hardwood ash will say it was much easier sawing than the pine I've sawn so far. Surely made the 19 horse labor

Magicman

OK Ted, I got turned around and was thinking that it was the butt log hence the question because I saw the cut off limb.  I now see the butt log still on the trailer.  My Dad always said that it was "good to know but better to understand".  :-[

Love that Ash Lko67.  smiley_thumbsup

Lawg Dawg

Probably nothing today! Rain is here, time to knock it out of gear!

I need more sheds!   :-*

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Thank You Sponsors!