iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

3/8" pitch, what size file???

Started by Good Feller, February 27, 2009, 12:32:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Good Feller

What size files do you guys use for 3/8 pitch chain?  I've used 13/64" and 7/32".  Both are recommended as far as I know. 
The 13/64 is smaller and gives more of a "hook" to the tooth.  Is that good/bad?  I'm just trying to decide on one or the other. Thanks
Good Feller

RSteiner

I have used both 13/64 and 7/32 on 3/8 chain.  On Oregon the chain that I sometimes use I like the 7/32 file but, if I use Sthil chain I like the way the 13/64 file works which is the one they recommend.

Too much hook is not your friend it seems the top of the tooth dulls quicker and tends to make the chain grabbier.  No hook makes saw dust and cuts slow.  I look at the profile of a new chain and try to match that as I sharpen each tooth.  I like using a file holder which holds the file under a metal plate that rests on the top of each tooth as you stroke the file.  That seems to allow me to keep the depth the file cuts and the hook profile about where I want it.

Randy
Randy

Rocky_J

The 13/64" recommendation is one of Stihl's ways of trying to isolate their users from other brands. No other manufacturer recommends that size file. With that said, the Stihl 3/8" chain is identical in size to Oregon and other brands which all recommend a 7/32" file. I have used Stihl chain and a 7/32" file for 20 years. The oddball size file results in too much hook IMO.

Banjo picker

Good Feller I am glad you asked that.  I have usually just asked for a file for the chain in question.  I am sure these folks here know more that the bean counter in the store.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

sawguy21

Some start with the 7/32 then switch to 13/64 as the tooth gets shorter. I have not tried that but it makes sense.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

chevytaHOE5674

I sharpen all of mine with a 7/32 file. It leaves a nice profile and the file size is available anywhere.

ErikC

7/32 works good for me. Oregon or Stihl chain. I don't notice a difference in cutting if I use one or the other. Whatever is cheaper or more available where you are is the right answer I guess.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Good Feller

Dang, sounds like 7/32" is getting the vote..... Guess I should have asked this question BEFORE I purchased 5 dozen 13/64" oregon files!   
Good Feller

chevytaHOE5674

If you already bought them, then use them. For me its just that the 7/32 is much more common and easy to get locally/cheaply.

sawguy21

Common and easy to get huh?  :D :D I don't know what the problem is but we won't see Oregon 7/32 files until April. Other distributors are out too. You guys gotta quit hogging them.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

chevytaHOE5674

My dealer has dozen's of 7/32's stacked up.   8)

beenthere

5 dozen....YIKES!!  Must be at least a years supply... :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ax- man

Quote from: Rocky_J on February 27, 2009, 08:24:49 AM
The 13/64" recommendation is one of Stihl's ways of trying to isolate their users from other brands. No other manufacturer recommends that size file. With that said, the Stihl 3/8" chain is identical in size to Oregon and other brands which all recommend a 7/32" file. I have used Stihl chain and a 7/32" file for 20 years. The oddball size file results in too much hook IMO.

I never looked at it that way Rocky, it kind of makes sense knowing Sthil.

For years the 7/32ths was the file Sthil recommended for both the 3/8ths and the .404. pitch chains. Then out of nowhere Sthil comes up with this 13/64ths for their 3/8 pitch chain. There really isn't a whole lot of difference between the two files 1/64ths is not that much. I do prefer the 13/64ths for the 3/8 ths pitch and still use a 7/32ths file for the .404. Gets confusing if your trying to teach someone which file goes to which saw.

As far as the hook on the cutter. No comment as I get the same results from both files on the same chain and can't tell a difference in how the saw cuts.

Larry

Hermio

I hope you folks do not mind me jumping in on a 10 year old thread, but I just came across it today. It is illuminating! I had used 7/32 before, then I discovered that Stihl recommends 13/64. I bought that size of the Pferd CX sharpening system, which works great in the field. But I noticed that the chain seems grabbier (is that a word) than before. It also seems grabbier than when I have the chain sharpened by a shop, which I get done about every 5-10 manual sharpenings to true it up. I suspect the shops are using 7/32 grinding wheels.

donbj

7/32nds. By the time the chain is done your biting into the drivers sharpening but there are many variables.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Thank You Sponsors!