iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Iron mule skidder parts?

Started by logman81, August 27, 2015, 06:35:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

Hey all just was noticing that in the future I will be needing some replacement parts in the future. It's for my mini skidder which is very similar to the iron mule forwarder.
I will be in need of the rear oscillation bushings and the center pin and bushings. I will most likely have to get the frame line bore and  bore welded. There is some play and I want to fix it in the future and was wondering where I could find the parts?
Precision Firewood & Logging

Corley5

The forwarders had Timken bearings and races.  No bushings.  I had new pins made at a machine shop and came up with a # for the bearings.  The articulation and the oscillation took the same pin and bearings in the 5000 Iron Mule.  I kept a box from a new bearing so I'd have the # but I'm pretty sure it got tossed when I sold the machine  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

logman81

Ok you could be right, I was just assuming that they were bushings maybe they are bearings.

logman81

I think it is based on the smaller mule maybe the 4000 model?

logman81

Ok getting ready to pull my skidder off of the job in a few weeks and bring it to my shop to replace the bearings in the center and rear oscillation before I start the next job. What is the procedure for doing this. I have a nice level floor to do it on but what will I need to do to get it apart?

Firewoodjoe

We never had luck with the bearings. We would machine the boss and do brass bushings with a pin.

logman81

logman81

Is it a difficult project to tackle how would I get the machine separated?

logman81

Never done a center section in a skidder before what do usually have to do to support it up?

Firewoodjoe

I mean never had luck with them staying together. Just blocks and jacks and good luck lol. If your boss on both ends is still near perfect I'm sure the bearings will be fine.

North River Energy

It's a lot like splitting a farm tractor to do a clutch, but with a greater possibility for disaster/personal injury.

Did the center pins and bearings on a 518 this summer, and used the following:
10 ton trolly jack
Pneumatic bottle jack
heavy blocking
two chain binders and chains
cutting torch
thermos of liquid nitrogen
20 ton hollow center hydraulic ram and pump
levers of various size
the usual nut taker-offers and part-smackers
Charlton Heston and a few Egyptian slaves.

Your machine is much lighter,with a different parts list, but it can still kill you.  Take your time, double check each end of the machine for stability, and be careful.
And take your time.
I like to have a spare jack available of the right capacity in the event one of the primaries should be compromised.
If you haven't worked with heavy, awkward objects, you might want to hire it out.

logman81

To me it doesn't look overly difficult as long as both half's are properly supported and time is taken. I have worked on other skidders before but nothing to this extent. I think hiring out is not going to be an option for me I'd like to keep my money where it belongs, in my pocket!

Corley5

When we did our 5000 Mule we used 6X6s to crib each half so they couldn't fall down.  Then after the pins were out we slid the front of the back half to the side on the cribbing to work on the bearings and pins.  That's how I remember it but that was close to ten years ago now.  We did it in January on a flat frozen spot in front of the shop.  We didn't have enough room to get it inside.  It worked but was cold  :)  Worst part was the pins we got from a local place were an 1" too short and we discovered it after we got them in.  To get them back out we had to cut them off.  They gave us our $$$ back, a new set of bearings and we had a shop turn new pins.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

lopet

Hiring may not be a option, but get some buddies over.  This is not a one man job !!!
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Ed_K

No it's not a one person job,as rita will tell you. if you use the blocking method put a piece of metal flat stock between wood and skidder,it'll slide better. Don't do it in the woods  ;D  :o .
Ed K

logman81

I definitely agree with all of you that it is not a one person job. I appreciate the advice and knowledge.  To me it looks like one big pin and probably two bearings one on top and one on the bottom.  I thinking I'll have to steer cylinders rebuilt to as well as the pivot pins and hole resized for larger pins.

North River Energy

QuoteTo me it doesn't look overly difficult as long as both half's are properly supported and time is taken. I have worked on other skidders before but nothing to this extent. I think hiring out is not going to be an option for me I'd like to keep my money where it belongs, in my pocket!

"A good mechanic doesn't cost you money, he/she makes you money."

You asked how to properly support the machine halves, which suggests you might not have a handle on what can go wrong and/or complicate the process.
And you're right, it's not a difficult job. It's a deliberate job, readily accomplished solo with the right tools. 

Much like sorting your previous fuel injection difficulties. 

If memory serves, despite plenty of solid advice (up to and including the eventual solution), you lost maybe two weeks time and probably the cost of a pump before you called in a wrench on that job.

How much wood can you process and deliver with your new splitter and elevator in the time it takes to dismantle, chase parts, and get your skidder back together?

By all means, do it yourself if the cost/benefit analysis works in your favor.  It's a valuable learning experience. Particularly if you don't have qualified help in your area.
Just be mindful that when the parts on a job weigh more than you do, it takes very little for things to go sideways and quick.
Those suggesting you seek help are most likely concerned with your well-being.

logman81

North river you are correct and have a valid point which is why I'm seeking the help from a good friend who is a mechanic. Sales are down right now so this is the time to bring the skidder home and tackle the repair with additional hands. I have all the tools required and may even employ my car lift to support the machine if we feel it is a good idea.

Thank You Sponsors!