iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Interesting Names for rivers, streams, pools, lakes and other water bodies

Started by SwampDonkey, October 30, 2005, 04:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Modat22

This is Sinking Creek in Irvington KY. It runs next to my property, Its fed by a large cave spring called Blue Head (because the water looks blue and clear).

If your hot jump in this and you'll be covered in goose flesh in moments, also makes a great way to chill beer when your out of ice.
remember man that thy are dust.

Tom

eons ago, in feudal days, my ancestors cared for the land at the head of the Cadden.   It 's a tributary in Scotland called Cadden Water.    We came from the Head-of-the-Cadden. ;D   There is a Cadden Foot too.  But, I don't know any Cadenfoots. :D

Ernie

Quote from: Ianab on November 03, 2005, 12:32:11 AM
QuoteThere are many more but this is a family forum so I wont post them.

Good idea Ernie...   translating Waitara would prolly get us sent to the Woodshed  :o

:D

Ian

Translating Rahotu  would definately get us sent there :D :D
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

SwampDonkey

North Pole River

Table Rock Pool, a catch and release salmon fishing retreat for NB residents only. Licenses are drawn on lottery.

Little NorthPole Stream

This was the best trout fishing stream when I was a kid fishing with grandfather. The water just boiled with trout and your hook didn't even need baiting or feather wings. This stream also disappears under ground for quite some distance. It doesn't go into a hill though, just into the gound. I tried to follow it once, but had to give up. You could trace it by following alders, then after awhile there where no alders.  :o How in the world so many trout got up that steam is a mystery to me. I wouldn't think they would like going under ground to swim up a stream. Down stream a ways, down from where it comes out, was a deep hole where the big ones hung out, further down I beleive were spawning beds. The bottom was a layer of sand that glittered in the sun like gold and the water was slow moving over it. Airforce pilots used to fly over the area from Chatam and they'd scout out their weekend fishing spots. They pretty much wiped the trout stock out by netting the deadwaters stretches. We found several of their nets in the bush. Never dared to report it because the wardens would accuse us, so we'de toss the nets away from the brook so they couldn't be found. >:(
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Danny_S

Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

The Tantramar marshes the "World's Largest Hayfield"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tantramar_Marshes

Shows a picture of 300 year old dikes built by the Acadians. ;) The name is french for 'racket', named for the noisey birds that use the area.

Phorester

Old Woman Creek.  South central VA near North Carolina.

There's Short Mountain a few dozen miles south of me.  It was originally named Short Ass Mountain, but was (ahem)  shortened many many years ago to be less offensive.   With all that we hear now in prime time TV programs, can you imagine doing that??

SAW MILLER

At waverly ohio there is a crick called Pee Pee creek.The gas station there is called Pee Pee gas.
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

beenthere

Quote from: Phorester on December 09, 2005, 09:41:07 PM
.Short Mountain.....shortened.......  With all that we hear now in prime time TV programs, can you imagine doing that??

I don't think we should use prime time TV as our guide.  It gets more rotten as time goes on. I had just a couple minutes of prime time on last night, and what a shocker - won't even repeat it on here.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Quote from: beenthere on December 09, 2005, 10:09:22 PM
I don't think we should use prime time TV as our guide.  It gets more rotten as time goes on. I had just a couple minutes of prime time on last night, and what a shocker - won't even repeat it on here.  ;)

Oh come on, some of us are men. ;D :D

tnlogger

wal now we do have The Calf Killer river here it runs all the way thiugh town
The name explanes it all  ;D
gene

SwampDonkey

Doughboy Brook

Mistake Brook

Bull Lake

Moose Lake

Indian Lake

Trousers Lake

JiggerTown Brook

Pasture Brook

Frog Lake

Moosehorn Creek

Mechanic Lake

-------------------------
Inchby Ridge

Break Neck Hill

Doughnut Hill

sawguy21

Lots of Zipper Lakes around. Ya keep yer lip zipped about the location because it has the best fishing.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Lenny_M

Peacock brook runs throught the middle of my property. Peacocks in N.H.?? ???

On a farm down the road a bit there`s  N>g>>r Pond.

Over in Mont vernon is Blood pond

In francestown there`s Haunted Pond

DanG

Along a route I take through Georgia every year or so, there's a stream called "Murder Creek." :o :o  I can't imagine how it got that name. ??? :P
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Phorester

If I were you, DanG, I wouldn't slow down when driving through there.

Radar67

Quote from: Radar67 on October 30, 2005, 05:24:57 PM
A creek running thru my property is called Military Branch. I haven't researched it yet, but there is nothing military even close to it.

I now know the answer. There is an old bridge on this creek, possibly on my property, that dates back to the Civil War. It seems that Stonewall Jackson and his troops crossed over this bridge on a march. I have not located the bridge yet, but curiosity will soon get the best of me.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Thank You Sponsors!