iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wives tale or what.

Started by TexasTimbers, July 23, 2007, 08:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

A feller told me last week that veggie oil is as good a wood sealer for fencing and siding as you can buy. I realize you can get told anything. Anyone ever try it? It's real cheap in a 55 gallon drum.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

IMERC

ya get what ya pay for and you will have yurself a world class bug collection....
looks good...

till the tailights dissapear or the check clears...

which ever comes 1st...
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

SwampDonkey

Also a good attractant for mold and fungus. I suppose when it turns green, you can tell everyone it was treated 'without pressure'.  ;D

Honestly, ya gotta wonder where some people dream this stuff up from.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

TexasTimbers

I was almost too embarassed to ask the question. Now I know why my sixth sense was protesting so much. ::)

Okay for french fries. Bad for siding. :)

Fla._Deadheader

QuoteIt's real cheap in a 55 gallon drum

What's the price by drum lot ??
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

asy

Just one little question... 

Have you ever smelled rancid oil?

And, do you want a whole fence of rancid smelly oil?

I don't think bugs are the only thing it'd collect... eeeeew...

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

IMERC

Quote from: SwampDonkey on July 24, 2007, 06:15:23 AM
Also a good attractant for mold and fungus. I suppose when it turns green, you can tell everyone it was treated 'without pressure'.  ;D

Honestly, ya gotta wonder where some people dream this stuff up from.  ;)

can we spell be cheap...

Dodgy Loner

Yep, sounds like a bad idea to me - there are a select few vegetable oils that don't go rancid.  Olive oil is one of them, and I can't think of any others offhand.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

OneWithWood

and that cheap price was?

VO makes great bio diesel but i would not put it on a fence
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

TexasTimbers

I think I see a pattern here. i don't know what to say. Maybe . . . .

Quote from: kevjay on July 24, 2007, 08:28:08 AMOkay for french fries. Bad for siding.

:)

Reddog

So out of all the responces, who has real testing data to support their thoughts?

Kevjay, I would put a few diffrent types on some boards or a fence and see what happens.

SwampDonkey

Ya mean I gotta write a technical report?  ;D  ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Reddog

Quote from: SwampDonkey on July 24, 2007, 05:43:10 PM
Ya mean I gotta write a technical report?  ;D  ;)

At least a few pictures of the failures. ;D

Furby

I got two bottles of rancid oil in the cabinet in the other room.
They are yours as proof Reddog! :)

Reddog

Veg oil only goes rancid when it does not dry into the wood, or wiping the extra off. A bowl of the oil will go bad setting there. I have used Sesame and other oils to finish cooking stuff and it has worked fine.

OneWithWood

Ever leave any of that cooking stuff out in the elements for months at a time? 
One With Wood

TexasTimbers

I just opened a 5 gallon container of peanut oil that I bought in 1999 and gave it a tentative sniff. It smells fine. Of course PO is not VO. And it was closed. Not apples to apples.

Quote from: OneWithWood on July 25, 2007, 11:34:33 AM
Ever leave any of that cooling stuff out in the elements for months at a time?

Have you ???

OneWithWood

No, can't say that I have.  Which is why I asked.  ;)
One With Wood

IMERC

Quote from: Reddog on July 24, 2007, 06:56:44 PM
I have used Sesame and other oils to finish cooking stuff and it has worked fine.

I trust you wash those utensiles once in a while...

mike_van

My 2 cents would be to go with a product made for the job - Thompsons, Cuprinol, whatever - It's a pain to do it once, having to clean something off that didn't work & start over is twice a pain.  It seems to me any kind of food oil would  draw all sorts of critters to lick, chew, & pretty much do in what it's on. I'm thinking of hedge hogs, bears, coons, you know - all those ones with teeth.  :D
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

TexasTimbers

Anyone ever use McCloskeys stuff? It's a brand carried a Wal Junk but I was in there buying more Helmsman Spar Urethane for an interior beam and browsed. I bought a gallon of McCloskeys Dec`k and Siding "Stain".

I put the quote on "stain" because I have a general technical question on it. The can reads:

Penetrating Oil
Semi-Transparent
Deck & Siding
STAIN
Clear Tint Base

So my question is, is this stuff labeled a "Clear Tint Base" because it is engineered to have pigments added for custom colors or can I use it as is? I am ging to begin a test sample today with it but would like all the info I can get oin what the product is intedned for.

I just had to modify my post here. I re-read the label and they do infer the product will offer UV protection as is. So I guess my question boils down to has anyone used this product or even the McCloskey brand?

SwampDonkey

The stuff I used on my picnic table was colored in the store from a can of 'base'. They had a chart and you pick the pigment. Sounds like the same idea with your stain. Mines got UV to. I can't speak of the brand names. Nothing to draw comparisons with since the home owner is probably only using this stuff once in years and something else claims to be better by the time you have to do it again.  ;D :D :D :D

Gary_C

For all you naysayers, have you considered linseed oil?

Linseed oil is a vegetable oil and it probably is still the primary ingredient and one of the best things to use in a primer or sealer. It was common practice to add additional linseed oil when priming old weathered house siding, that is before they started siding houses with metal or plastic. It is not a top coat and exterior paints usually had a mildew preventing additive, but it is an excellent sealer for wood and I do not believe any better non toxic sealer has been found.   ;D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

SwampDonkey

Linseed oil would be fine for your bowl turnings if your dishing out food in them. The excess is wiped off. But, for siding I wouldn't do it. Never seen it done here. These old farm houses did well to get even one coat of white wash on them and the clapboards where changed about every 25 years.  ;D :D :D :D

Gary_C

Go to your local paint store and read the labels on primers and chances are it will be linseed oil based.

Back in the good old days, when I was in high school, a buddy and I took a job painting a huge old two story house that had not been painted for so many years there was no trace of paint on those weathered boards. Based on the advice of the owner of the house and the local paint store, we used regular exterior oil based house paint and thinned it with equal parts of linseed oil for the primer coat. Then when we put the top coat on over the primer, we had excellent coverage of the white where with test strips we could not get coverage with three layers of top coat.

The house turned out great, with the only problem we had was when painting the trim, my buddy dropped a half gallon of paint on a entrance roof and the paint shot out of the can and sprayed on the driveway. Then we had to find out a recipe, I think it was cornstarch and lye, for paint remover to clean up the driveway.  ;D ;D

Vegetable oil does make an excellent sealer for wood. This is no wives tale.  ;D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Thank You Sponsors!