iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Do your wives try to keep every scrap?

Started by Ocklawahaboy, January 31, 2013, 09:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ocklawahaboy

I was cutting a short ERC log to tweak my blade level today.  I produced a few 2/4 slabs squaring the cant off.  It is now all in the house instead of the firewood pile.  Seems my wife sees a bird in one of them.  There are others in various places around the house.  I have to throw some in the fireplace when she isn't looking.

Just curious if anyone elses wife hoards the scraps.

thecfarm

My wife is not around the mill much. I thinks she is afraid that I will put her to work. :D She comes up in the woods more than she is around the mill. And the mill is no more than 200 feet from the house.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

LOGDOG

Yep my wife is like that .... even the sawdust. She took some heart pine shaving from my old Peterson ASM  and made fire starters with them by melting paraffin wax and shavings in cupcake cups. They worked like a dream! I just used the last one the other night. I'm going to have to make some sawdust again soon so she can make me up a bunch.

WDH

Quote from: Corley5 on January 31, 2013, 09:52:37 PM
Nope  ;D  She stays far away  :)

Nope  ;D  She stays far away  :)

Times 2   :D :D
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Mooseherder

I'm the scrap keeper and she is the scrap throw awayer. ::)

Finn1903

My wife looks at scraps as the mill is not free, therefore anything off the mill has value. Heating the house puts btu's in the house.
My supportive wife hauls All the saw dust to the barn stalls.  Otherwise sometimes watches me mill.
WM LT40HDD47, bunch of saws, tractor, backhoe, and a loving wife.

hackberry jake

Mine stays far away from the mill usually, but I bring her interesting pieces for points. She has a fairly large collection. I ask her what she plans on doing with them and she says " to make plaques to hang keys on". She has her own little sanding block and everything... We don't have that many keys.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Nomad

Quote from: Ocklawahaboy on January 31, 2013, 09:33:03 PM
I was cutting a short ERC log to tweak my blade level today.  I produced a few 2/4 slabs squaring the cant off.  It is now all in the house instead of the firewood pile.  Seems my wife sees a bird in one of them.  There are others in various places around the house.  I have to throw some in the fireplace when she isn't looking.

Just curious if anyone elses wife hoards the scraps.

Get her a scrollsaw and let her learn how to do marquetry and fretwork.  Then they won't be scraps any more and she can really make some birds.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Ocklawahaboy

Hmm... I have a scroll saw and need room in my garage.  Have to see if she can find a place for it in one of her rooms.

Chuck White

Quote from: Mooseherder on January 31, 2013, 10:08:52 PM
I'm the scrap keeper and she is the scrap throw awayer. ::)

Same here.

I couldn't have said it better.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bugdust

My thoughtful little wife is always asking, "What's you doin?, Why you doin it that way?, Why don't you clean up around here?, How much you goin to make with that?, When you goin to make something for me? WHY, WHY, WHY?

Thank goodness she's not around all the time. I wonder why?  go_away
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

drobertson

No doubt about it, she has no room for all my AMJ,  and I am thankful,  (packrat) I am,  but she does help herself to the sawdust for the coop,(pine dust) and some how conned me into making the nesting from ripped pine, nice long curly's with a fresh aroma. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Al_Smith

I don't have a mill just yet but both myself and wifey are pack rats .

Every so often I find some use for scrap ends of lumber that most would have burned up in the stove .After a while though it gets to be a pain tripping over them so into the stove it goes .

Ocklawahaboy

Quote from: bugdust on February 01, 2013, 08:46:21 AM
My thoughtful little wife is always asking, "What's you doin?, Why you doin it that way?, Why don't you clean up around here?, How much you goin to make with that?, When you goin to make something for me? WHY, WHY, WHY?

Thank goodness she's not around all the time. I wonder why?  go_away

wesdor

When I had a friend bring his LT70 the wife looked at all the scrap and kept a bunch.

My mill is scheduled to ship Feb 14 and my guess is she will look at everything I cut.

The good news is that she is very artistic and will likely make some neat things with the scraps

Ocklawahaboy

Quote from: wesdor on February 01, 2013, 09:50:51 PM

My mill is scheduled to ship Feb 14 and my guess is she will look at everything I cut.

Valentine's day sawmill.  Now that's a great gift!

Magicman

Nope, PatD wants nothing to do with the sawmill or sawing.  She does smile when she occasionally sees a check, although it all goes into the business account.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Norm

Patty was always finding a piece that she'd save that really would have made better use in the wood stove. After a while I just let it slide because in the greater scheme of things it was no big deal.

pineywoods

Quote from: Magicman on February 01, 2013, 10:22:50 PM
Nope, PatD wants nothing to do with the sawmill or sawing.  She does smile when she occasionally sees a check, although it all goes into the business account.

Now I will take exception to that statement. PatD may not care for the sawing part, but I do know she has a BIG soft spot for sawmill people.  8)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Magicman

Yup, she does, and we are both looking forward to a large group of them probably in June.   smiley_gossip

Do I smell Chickin  ???   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

My mill is on the farm across the road from my house. My wife still doesn't know where the mill is.  :o
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

:o  That means that she doesn't know where you are most of the time.   ;D

drobertson

I have a dollar to a dime that she could find him quick enough ;D
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!