iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sawmill question

Started by Byron sawman, December 30, 2015, 07:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Byron sawman

Thanks for adding me. I recently acquired a Belsaw circular sawmill that was put together with pieces and parts. I think I've almost got it workable. My main question is; should the blade be dished toward the log or the board. I have acquired one blade of each, which do I use. Thanks in advance for any advice you have and Happy New Year to all.

Gearbox

The saw cup should be toward the board . It should be almost in contact with the board side saw guide when stopped and when up to speed it should not hit the guides 1/16 max on each side
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

beenthere

Maybe this will help too. Very popular among circular saw people.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/misc/circsaw.pdf
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Byron sawman.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

dgdrls

Welcome to the FF Byron sawman.

For the blade to cut without heating and distorting it should be flat on the log side.
How big are the blades you have and are they fixed tooth or inserted tooth?

Dan

Solomon

This should be an interesting thread,  I know nothing of Circle Mills so I will be watching this thread from the side lines.
You've come to the right place, this site is akin to an Encyclopedia of knowledge when it comes to saw mills and related topics.
Thanks for bringing this to the forum !! :P
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

Gearbox

I may not have been clear when I said board side . I should have used cant side or log side . I guess I was speaking Minnesota .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Byron sawman.  These "circle saw guys" will steer you correctly.   :P
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DMcCoy

Welcome. The blade should have the concave side towards the carriage side or log side when stopped.  With the blade teeth turning toward you if the log passes on the right it is a right hand mill.

Byron sawman

Thanks for all of the welcomes. Looking forward to learning a lot from the members of this forum. I've sent my blade out to be re-tensioned. Should have it back in a couple of days. Thank-you all for the helping hand.

Lambee10

Welcome.  Good to have another Belsaw in action.  Keep asking questions as you come across them.  I did. 
All animals like me...at feeding time.

M-14 Belsaw and the toys to go with it.

Darrel

Good to have you on board Byron sawman. My only experience with a circle mill was when I was about 25, I pulled greenchain in a mill that had a 60" saw on the bottom and a 42" top saw and if they didn't run right the saw filer would take them off and pound on them with a big hammer.  And they had removable teeth as I recall.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Sixacresand

Welcome to the Forum, Byron Sawman.   I used to dream of having a Belsaw when I saw their ads in the back magazines like Popular Mechanics.  Good luck!
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Byron sawman

I am looking for Belsaw parts. I'm getting very tired of losing the can't. I have a worn out locking dog cam for my carriage. It has straight cut knurling that is worn out. I am looking for another cam or someone's better simple idea of modifying what I have to work. I have a pretty crude machine shop, but have a lot of fabricating knowledge. Thanks again for your time and patience.

Kbeitz

Why not anneal it and reknural it and reharden it.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Byron sawman.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Byron sawman

I'm sorry I forgot to mention that it is cast iron from the sparks. I also had an idea that I could locate an indexing head and use a cutoff wheel on the mill to repair it? Still would rather have a new one or make a new one.

Kbeitz

If you have the tools and it sounds like you do then i would make one out of drill rod.
You can buy it from McMaster Carr. It comes soft so you can lathe it.
When your finished it's real easy to harden it.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Byron sawman

Hi Guys, This sawmill has been a real struggle. I bought this as a basket case. I thought the basics was all here. I have had a lot of frustrating adventures trying to bring it back. Does anyone have any information, books, photographs or some location where I might be able to find these? I was told this was a Belsaw but I see no information so far on which one it is, considering I have three casted stands with wood mounted on top of them as part of the frame. Any information would be appreciated, thank-you.

dgdrls

Hi Byron,

Search the web under Foley Belsaw,  I think you will find some
good nuggets,

Post some photos of what you have and lets see if we can help you
get this machine sawing straight.

Best
Dan

Byron sawman

How can I attach pictures to a post or start a gallery?

dgdrls

beenthere

Good on getting your pics in your album/gallery.

How to put them in a post is spelled out just under the pic you want, and is just a "copy and paste".
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Byron sawman

My wife figured out how to start a gallery of photos. Please feel free to check them out. I would love to know more about what parts this mill is made of. Thanks again guys.

beenthere

You put the pics in your posts when you explain to us what they are about... Look forward to that..
south central Wisconsin

Thank You Sponsors!