iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT 10 cables

Started by waho, March 14, 2013, 11:42:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

waho

In the trailer build discussion, Old Jarhead mentioned that his LT 10 had cables attached to the mill head, some of us with newer machines don't seem to have these cables. If these cables prevent the so called walking is there any way to retrofit these? Anybody who has these on their machine is it possible to post some pictures? I can't find anything on WM's website to help with this.

francismilker

Amen brother! I too am interested. :o
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

Happycamper

Waho,
Are these the cables you asked about?

Wether you think you can or you can't you're right

rimshot

Quote from: francismilker on March 14, 2013, 12:25:13 PM
Amen brother! I too am interested. :o

Mine is new and it has cables.

rimshot
LT 10 with a 10 h.p. and a converted boat trailer to provide mobility for a once permanent mill.

OlJarhead

Can you see the cables in this pic?  Black lines running along the bed.

These are the cables.
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Happycamper

No cables on mine and it does shake from side to side when sawing.
                                         Jim
Wether you think you can or you can't you're right

dgdrls

Mine was a 2012 with the larger track.
I spoke to WM about it "walking" no remedy given,
I suspect it's in the 9 & 10 deg bands.  Never walked in the softer woods.
Looked like Elvis a couple times in harder woods. had to back out of the cut
when going faster wasn't alleviating the shake.

I never did test using 7 deg or 4 deg bands, they are available
to fit the 10 they're just the next thickness up.

DGDrls

waho

OlJarhead thanks, what are the cables hooked up to at the end of the track, or do they run to the other side? DG, got the same "answer" never heard of it. I'm sawing beetle kill pine, not exactly hard wood.

OlJarhead

You can see the pulley in this shot.  The cables go from the mill head on each side, through 3 pulleys and then back to the head on the other side.  This provides tension to both sides of the mill.

The 'cable' is a nylon or poly material that stretches so acts kinda like a spring.

Sixacresand

Mine is like Oljarhead's.  I have two sets of cables:  A longer set to go with the extra section of track and a shorter one for the standard length LT10 track.   I do not know what function the cables perform, but I assume the Woodmizer engineers had a good reason.  I know they will work themselves loose, so you have to keep an eye on them and keep them tight.  And If the mill is sitting on the ground, sawdust will cake up inside the pulleys and cause the cable to jump off. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

francismilker

Interesting.  Mine doesn't have those on it and it walks side to side something fierce at times.  Doesn't matter if it has a new blade, hardwood, softwood, or whatever.   I started a thread a month or so ago about "sawmill wobble" and got lots of ideas, but the subject of these cables never came up. 

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

waho

I'm with francismilker, sure would like to know what improvements WM made to eliminate the cables. Are there any WM people on this board who could shed some light on the LT 10 problems?

OlJarhead

I'm curious why you don't have them because my WM rep told me I needed them for this reason when I asked if I could just stop using them when I went longer.

They make the longer cables for each bed extension.

francismilker

I ordered my lt-10 new with one new bed extension and don't have any cables nor was there any mention of it in the DVD that came with the mill for assembly.  I don't see anything about it in my owner's manual if I remember correctly.

waho

How many people on here have a new LT 10 that don't have the cables(bought within the last year). In my manual there is no mention of any cables.

OlJarhead

Maybe the cool new bed you guys have doesn't allow for the cable setup to be installed?

Thank You Sponsors!