iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Nat Geo TV program - The Incredible Dr. Pol

Started by scsmith42, November 15, 2011, 04:36:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scsmith42

Dr. Pol is a Veterinarian located in central Michigan (his staff and customer's accents remind me of Jeff and Tammy), and the show follows him as he makes farm calls as well as providing treatment in his clinic.

He is somewhat of a modern day Dr. James Herriot (author of the book and TV series All Creatures Great and Small).

My wife and I watched our first episode last night (recorded last weekend) and really enjoyed it.  It was somewhat reminiscent of what Laureen encounters in some of her more rural counties.  It was both interesting and entertaining, and worth the watch if you have the time.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Jeff

I read this out in the blind on my phone and was thinking  Scott said Doctor Pol had an accent like Tammy and I and I was thinking, that ain't right. Doctor Pol has what I think is a very Dutch Accent.   :)

My Brother-In-Law Jan Altman, who we call Pete, that many of you know, worked with Dr. Pol for over 23 years while he was the animal control officer for Isabella county and has always been his and my Sister Lynda's family vet. Dr. Pol was the Vet for the county and still is.  I met Dr. Pol many years ago while volunteering to help at a Rabies clinic with Pete. Afterwards we went to his home for a Pizza Party. I still remember that well due to one particular member of Doctor Pol's Menagerie.  I had just sat down on his couch with a plate of Pizza and heard this skidding of toenails sound coming around the corner and across the room from me on the hardwood floor. Then appeared what I initially thought was a giraffe running full tilt in my direction as it has hit a big area rug and gained traction and speed. It was Doctor Pol's huge Harlequin Great Dane. He lit beside me on the couch, and he, the couch and I, slid about 3 feet back in the room. He turned and look down at me, and I mean way down. I ate my pizza just out of the reach of his drool.   My sister's crazy dog Sophie was just in his office last week.  Doc had told Pete some stuff about the camera crews being around.  I'll have to get Tammy to record the shows so we can watch them and see if we know anybody. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Taylortractornut

I ve seen one episode and he reminds me of my Vet.     I couldnt think of losing our family vet.   Dr Pol  seems to really care for  the animals.   I have used another  vet but they seemed to not care for the animals.
My overload permit starts after sunset

WDH

Scott,

I just went and looked for it but could not find it.  Do you know when it airs?  I would like to tape it for my daughter who started Vet School at UGA this Fall.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

scsmith42

Quote from: Jeff on November 15, 2011, 06:19:13 PM
I read this out in the blind on my phone and was thinking  Scott said Doctor Pol had an accent like Tammy and I and I was thinking, that ain't right. Doctor Pol has what I think is a very Dutch Accent.   :)

Well, admittedly it was his clients accents that reminded me of y'all, but what the heck?!

Jeff, your family connection to Dr. Pol is very cool! 
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

sandhills

I hadn't heard of it, I'll have to check it out.  When you grow up in a rural area, good vets are just as revered as good doctors (maybe more) and the bad ones don't seem to last very long, heck I know people that will call the vet before they'll call a doctor when things aren't quite right.  :D

thecfarm

Just ran across it at 7 last night. I was going to ask about his accent,but I see Jeff all ready said something. A nice program, for a change. Saw the program where some guy brings in a dog that got into a porcupine,next day he's back with the same dog with more quills than the day before.  :'(
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

I've still not been able to catch or find that program!  :-\

DouginUtah

Quote from: Jeff on February 13, 2012, 12:30:05 PM

At first I thought you had not found the Dr. Pol program on TV, but now, after reading your post above, I guess you are talking about the porcupine/dog episode.

National Geographic Wild, DirectTV channel 283 Thursday at 2:00-3:00 PM--"How Now Downed Cow?"
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

thecfarm

There was a few videos on the NGEO web site. Might be able to find it there. I've pulled quills out of my dog more than once. The last 2 years have been almost quill free. He'll just bark steady until I get there. My step son and his girlfriend was here from DC. She went to CIA in Poughkeepsie NY. She said out in the boonies. ::) We was up late one night and I just opened the door and let my dog in. The girl friend had a fit when she saw the dog. Little points sticking out of his nose. I think about 50. This was at just about mid night. Got the pliers out and pulled them out. Country living at it's best. She did not know what to think.Welcome to the family,by the way.  ;D

Jeff

Quote from: DouginUtah on February 13, 2012, 03:12:14 PM
Quote from: Jeff on February 13, 2012, 12:30:05 PM

At first I thought you had not found the Dr. Pol program on TV, but now, after reading your post above, I guess you are talking about the porcupine/dog episode.

National Geographic Wild, DirectTV channel 283 Thursday at 2:00-3:00 PM--"How Now Downed Cow?"

I was talking about the show, and we don't have that channel or that network.  :-\

thecfarm

I've been stuck in the house due to temps that I don't want to be outside. Too bad you don't have that channel. Lots of nature on there. That Dog Whisperer guy can do wonders in just about 10 minutes. I had a boss like him,great with animals,but worth nothing when it came to people or a boss.

WDH

My daughter (who is a Vet student) and I watched all four episodes over the Holidays and enjoyed them thoroughly.

Jeff

Maybe this summer, I'll just go grab my brother-in-law and we'll go hangout with Dr. Pohl for a day instead.

Paul_H

My wife and daughters are real fans of Dr Pol and I have enjoyed him too.I just finished watching the one where they trap and neuter some ferral cats and a heart jerker where they had to put down a 36 year old Horse named Henry.

A good show and a caring bunch,all of them.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

LeeB

The show has been on for a good while. It's in it's second or third season. Good show.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Chuck White

We watch it regularly, on Dish Network, can't remember the channel, but it's in between channels 180-189.

It's a very interesting show, I like the fact that he "tells it like it is".
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!